Piece on asexuality written by me, 😄. Check it out

Dawg4280

I like this piece a lot! It is very well-written and eloquently put. Thank you for sharing it!

cavalier080854

Since gender became a social construct and identity politics, I feel the asexual community has become even less visible, with more vocal genders ie trans, genderqueer, shouting and getting more attention. At least in biology 101 the genders/sex were hetero/homo/bi and asexual. We were the 4th sex AKA the invisible ones. Now we are buried under 1000's of genders, and it's become a mockery of an idea caused by crazies running away with a theory and ruining it and muddying the gender waters. Asexuals are not new, I found in the British Library a first edition dictionary from 1830 with both of the present day definitions. So we are even older than that, an anachronism sufficient to rate a mention in the first dictionaries.

Since gender became a social construct and identity politics, I feel the asexual community has become even less visible, with more vocal genders ie trans, genderqueer, shouting and getting more attention. At least in biology 101 the genders/sex were hetero/homo/bi and asexual. We were the 4th sex AKA the invisible ones. Now we are buried under 1000's of genders, and it's become a mockery of an idea caused by crazies running away with a theory and ruining it and muddying the gender waters. Asexuals are not new, I found in the British Library a first edition dictionary from 1830 with both of the present day definitions. So we are even older than that, an anachronism sufficient to rate a mention in the first dictionaries.

I kind of get what you mean. I do believe that gender is a social construct and fully support people who don't fit on the binary. However, the amount of labels floating around serves against deconstructing gender as a social construct; IMO. I know that labels can help you find people you identify with, but beyond that they can really work against the main cause. It's like some are saying gender is a social construct that works against trans and non binary people, but here is how I am going to adhere to it anyway. Why not just say that it is a social construct, use specific labels within your the trans community, and then say to hell with the social construct. I am gender nonconforming, but I am also cis male. But I don't try to say that my gender is something so specific, while also saying it is a social construct in the first place.

Archived