VA Pridefest + Asexuality (+photos)

KanoEvey

So I just got home from Virginia's Pridefest 2016, which is taking place in Richmond, VA. It's a coming together of the LGBTQIA+ community for a day of celebration. I got to go for a little bit (it was way too hot to stay the full time, unfortunately), but I was able to wander around for a little bit and get to see some merchandise geared toward asexuality!

tumblr_oe12ojStRG1r29jd1o4_540.jpg

Imagine my joy when I turned the corner and saw the asexuality flag hanging with the other LGBTQIA+ flags, out in the open. I had to stop and take a pic. There were even bumper stickers and buttons being sold with the ace colors. It was wonderful to see asexuality being included in a Pride event.

The guide, however, did not have much to offer in the way of mentioning asexuality. This was the only real mention of asexuality in the whole guide:

tumblr_oe12ojStRG1r29jd1o3_400.jpg

Do you see it? Here, let me zoom in:

tumblr_oe12ojStRG1r29jd1o2_400.jpg

There we go. That was the only real mention of asexuality in the entire guide.

There is also this:

tumblr_oe12ojStRG1r29jd1o1_540.jpg

Not a real mention of asexuality, but the usage of the ace pride colors is nice.

So, even while the guide is a little lacking in spreading the word about asexuality, it was still nice to see that the vendors at the event itself included asexuality items. We've still got a long way to go to raise awareness of asexuality and give it the visibility it deserves.

I'd say it's about what we can expect for the time being, but it'll get better given time. The colors and flag are nice to see! ^_^

Archived