Playboy article about asexuality

debra_soh

In my opinion it was fairly straightforward.

Thank you for spreading a little more awareness on this subject.

Just a few things bothered me about the article though:

-The Doctor from Doctor Who has never been categorized as shy or inexperienced.

-I keep seeing the 1% all over the place, but I think when that study was done was in 2004 when the term/idea was not even in the public conscience. It is not wrong by any means. I just wish a new survey was made to reflect current numbers now that it is a more solid concept.

-I think this sentence is missing a word: At the end of the day, as a sex writer, I hope we can to a place where being gay, straight, bi, kinky, vanilla or Ace doesn’t even matter.

All in all I though it was informative, if a little superficial.

Luftschlosseule

Firstly, thank you very much for sharing your article! I love that you ask.
It's very short, but I don't think people look on that webside if they want to read long articles, so I can't really criticise that. Also, for those interested there is the opinion of checking out the links, which is a good compromise. I like that you call it a sexual minority group, a term which fits but I personally haven't crossed upon; and that this article is informative and positive. Also, that you give examples from your life, because in my experience you don't sound like you want to lecture, but to chat, which creates a better situation for presenting something new that may seem strange.

Sorry if my wording slipped, it's in the middle of the night an I just realise that I should go to bed, but I wanted to say that now while it's fresh.

Perissodactyla

2nd to last paragraph ==> typo:

"At the end of the day, as a sex writer, I hope we can to a place where being gay, straight, bi, kinky, vanilla or Ace doesn’t even matter."

Nice article. Are you conducting your own research study or plan to?

It would be interesting to learn which questions you'd like to see investigated.

Thank you.

I know a lot of people have issues with the word "transgenderism." Though I'm not sure what the actual correct noun form of "transgender" is.

I didn't know about the handedness of aces! Really interesting. I'm a righty :blink:

You're definitely right that some aces do have sex, but it's not always as a compromise. Some aces actually like sex (and enjoying sex and experiencing sexual attraction are different). Additionally, some are sex-repulsed and don't want sex under any circumstances.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my article and for offering your thoughts! Your feedback is much appreciated.

I conduct MRI research and am interested in including asexual people in my next study. I will be sure to get in touch on here if/when I do. :)

Debra

Perissodactyla

I conduct MRI research and am interested in including asexual people in my next study. I will be sure to get in touch on here if/when I do. :)

It will be very interesting to learn how you design your investigation.

Thank you.

I know a lot of people have issues with the word "transgenderism." Though I'm not sure what the actual correct noun form of "transgender" is.

There isn't really a noun version, it's an adjective. The only real issue I have with the term "transgenderism" as a trans person is that it isn't really a word. :P

The best phrasing in this case would probably be "As with homosexuality and being trans, asexuality isn't a choice".

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't equate romantic asexual people as comparable to a bromance. actually, aromantic asexuals who find themselves in a platonic partnership of some kind are more likely to identify with a bromance.

To be honest, I am surprised whenever any couple talks about having sex. I assume everyone isn't sexually active, for some reason. so it's hard for me to give an example of what a romantic asexual would be like, that would be helpful for the general populace to understand. when I look at a sexual couple and an asexual couple, there doesn't appear to be any difference to me.

LittleGoody2Shoes

Asexuals are a little more complicated and diverse than what you put in your article. For example there are some who want a romantic relationship and some who don't, some who are grey aces are the ones you meant would have sex to please a partner, but also many asexuals will not compromise. I feel like you could have done a lot more research on the types of asexuals. If the article is only intended to give the average person a glimpse of what asexuals are than it's okay. The article just doesn't delve into the depths of what asexuality is.

Be grateful that some actually want to write about it in a major magazine as Playboy. Now most there are not interested in long articles about asexuality, so its perfect for the audience! So thank you for your article :)

• 1 year later...

I tried to find the article and it would appear to be behind their pay wall. I think I found the article on Redditt, but there is no attribution to Debra.

I subscribed to Playboy up to a few years ago and never saw any mention of asexuality. As others have said, it is interesting that they published your article.

On a side note the magazine returned to nude content in the spring of this year. I only found out a few days ago trying to find an article about nudity. When Playboy went no-nudes, the MSM was all over the story, not a peep that I'm aware of over this development.

Archived