not a poll

binary suns

^ tbh I don't find that. if i do like all posts actually, then liking them doesn't change that fact. maybe i am selfish in this way actually :redface:

I like giving likes. Especially to my squishes. I feel like if I like my squishes posts enough they'll eventually talk to me or something... Now that I think about it that sounds really sad...

I think some likes are a sympathetic acknowledgement - if I "like" a sad post, it doesn't mean I'm glad the poster is sad or something bad happened.

I really appreciate getting Likes :) - it gives me a bit of a boost and helps me feel like some of my opinions (or simply what I happened to have watched) actually have some worth, and that I'm not a completely unnoticed member or anything. :3

I also give out Likes, but I don't go mad with them because too many might start demeaning them, and where do you draw the line... I like/agree with a lot of posts I don't end up Liking, etc.

Just to add, now that I've looked at the poll questions, although I like to get some Likes, I do not post to seek out Likes specifically. And if I have any lack of Likes, this has not put me off posting. :)

I really like getting likes because it shows me that what I posted was read and acknowledged. If I don't get any replies/likes/quotes it kinda makes me feel like what I put wasn't read. On silly ones I don't care, but on serious ones, I really want my opinion read. I don't really get upset if they aren't liked, but it makes me feel good when they are. It makes me feel like my life and my opinions are worth reading about. And though it makes me feel sad when others like sad things I post, because I don't want other people to have also experienced the sad thing, it also gives me comfort because others are sympathizing with me.

A like from me means, oh I sympathize or I agree! or wow that's interesting! Likes make me feel happy, and I like others feeling happy, so I enjoy liking partly just because I think it might make the person happy or help them feel better.

So yeah, likes are awesome.

I never like OPs, I prefer replying.

I like replies when there's an argument and I support one person but am too lazy or not that bothered by the topic to participate directly, so I just encourage the person I think is right.

Horse Ham Radio

do you like likes? I like likes. I wish to like every post I read. I wish to get likes on every post I post. I confess it! :redface:

I've liked all your posts in this thread.

Hope you like it!

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Likes are annoying when I can't see them *cough* Aven notifications *cough*

But seriously likes are ok because they can be the start of interesting convos and/or debates. Seen it happen :lol:

Same issue with the notifications. Opening them in a new tab works, although it will still take a while to load.

I only like what I really agree with or where I can sympathize a lot/experience the same issue. I don't give out likes "just like that" to everyone though and will sometimes like something where I have nothing to add to the post or topic as that person already covered everything I wanted to post.

I find this system nice.

I like like likes, but I dislike like-likes.

32c9f6687f0618fcc18fdd6ace08a3d5.jpg

I like likes, liking likes, getting liked,

Ace of Amethysts

I love getting likes on my positive or sympathetic posts, and I like giving likes in general but especially to my favourite AVENites. Which reminds me, I need to post a list of my favourites sometime...

It's nice when someone apparently likes my post (pun unavoidable), but I don't care if I don't get any likes.

It depends on the subject. If it's happening in a discussion, I take it more as an "I agree" than an actual "like". The photo thread is different, for example.

However, I dislike "sympathy likes". I mean, it's cool to see your views shared and maybe appreciated but it's not as if my life depends on that. I also don't like to discourage people from "liking" stuff because why not let them express their feelings? It doesn't hurt anyone, so.

*likes every post in this thread because reasons*

This poll reminded me that a while ago I turned off my like notifications because AVEN wouldn't load them, and then never turned them back on. Getting likes can be fun, so maybe I should turn on that setting again, even though I've gotten used to a much lower volume of notifications. I don't specifically seek likes for my posts, but I do think its nice if my post gets liked.

Usually I just like posts when I strongly agree with them. Just because I don't like a post doesn't necessarily mean that I disagree or dislike what I am seeing.

I used to turn off the like notification because I was getting so many notifications from the links in CLC. :lol: Until I was convinced by the same awesome people to turn it back on and enjoy the validation.

I don't really care too much if people like my posts or not, but it does feel good.

It's a bit awkward when people would like something that is sad and that's how I feel. It's not that I like their pain, but just that I'm here for them. It's a bit weird to me, so instead of likes, I'd reply or comment instead.

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

Likes= notifications and I am a notification junkie XD. Also likes= proof that people read my post and think it's worthwhile or interesting or something and not just random useless text taking up space.

Sleepy Skeleton

I like likes. Like, a lot! It kinda makes me disappointed when my posts don't get liked. Sometimes I even get reaaally upset when it seems like literally every other post in the same thread has a like except mine.

I just like validation, okay?

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

I like likes. Like, a lot! It kinda makes me disappointed when my posts don't get liked. Sometimes I even get reaaally upset when it seems like literally every other post in the same thread has a like except mine.

I just like validation, okay?

*Likes your post to provide validation* :P

• 1 year later...

I have noticed that I almost automatically "like" posts by certain AVEN posters, because I've found over time that they are uniformly rational, sensible, and intelligent.  That's probably discriminatory on my part, but what the hell.

I simply can't grasp why people are so obsessed about likes. Didn't understand it at Myspace, Facebook and now Instagram. I use it as "I agree" here when I literally don't want to re-write someone else's post. Aside from that - I couldn't care less. When I'm looking through my notifications, they're quite annoying because they 'spam' the actual relevant stuff, like followed topics or people quoting/mentioning me.

I know it's silly, but I do get kind of sad when I feel like I'm not getting many likes, especially when other who post right before or after me get tons all the time (more so on groupchats, not as much on FB or AVEN). Yeah I know it doesn't mean much, but I have an innate need for validation (though I don't like to admit it) and have "visibility" problems, for a lack of better terms, among my friends. So yeah, sometimes I try to be witty to get likes, though it seldom works, and I get really excited when I get a lot of likes.

I like likes a lot! It's kind of an indication that my posts have been acknowledged and there's something likable in those posts. :D While I don't mind not getting likes either, it's always nice to see notifications of likes.

Liking others' posts is nice too but I don't often like posts just for the sake of it. If there's something I agree with or feel similarly about or just something that I generally like, you'll get a like from me! Although sometimes I forget that I can like posts and end up not giving likes to the content I normally would.

Ja, I like them! When someone likes my post I know that people actually read what I write, well at least the ones who liked it.
That’s a good thing because participating in a forum sometimes feels like talking into an empty void where no one reads the stuff I write anyway to me.
Liking something someone wrote is an interaction and I think that the like system AVEN has is definitely an advantage compared to other forums.

I've never been thinking about it much, so I'm not sure if I like likes, but I use them to show agreement, appreciation or concern, depending on the type of post. sometimes I do it to show that certain person that I've read their post.

8 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

Ja, I like them! When someone likes my post I know that people actually read what I write, well at least the ones who liked it.
That’s a good thing because participating in a forum sometimes feels like talking into an empty void where no one reads the stuff I write anyway to me.
Liking something someone wrote is an interaction and I think that the like system AVEN has is definitely an advantage compared to other forums.

you can be sure that I read your posts XD

Archived