Words commonly used to describe masculinity and femininity, what do you think about this?

Suede (8)

Just a random question, I was googling about this on the internet and I found an article showing this: (edited* I wrote too much and it was annoying to read)

Words commonly used to describe femininity:
dependent
emotional
passive
sensitive
quiet *
graceful
innocent
weak
flirtatious
nurturing
self-critical *
soft
sexually submissive
accepting
Words commonly used to describe masculinity:
independent *
non-emotional *
aggressive (sometimes*)
tough-skinned *
competitive (sometimes*)
clumsy
experienced
strong
active
self-confident
hard
sexually aggressive
rebellious *
Most of all I found this funny, what do you think? which of these words would you say describe you? (for me I marked them with an *)

Tests say i'm approx 90% fem and 10% mas. I can agree with these on fem list -

emotional,
passive,
sensitive,
quiet
innocent
nurturing
self-critical
soft
sexually submissive
accepting
On mas list - competitive, active. Big generalisation, but for someone with % as mine, pretty accurate.

I think the words used to describe women are a bit more likeable overall but they tend to paint women as weak, submissive, and irrational. I don't think being described as, "emotional," is inherently positive or negative but when it's applied to women it's often implied to mean "emotional and therefore not rational," which is a negative thing. Unemotional as applied to men can be negative or positive depending on the context. Ironically, unemotional when applied to women is also often seen in a negative light. Overall, it seems people like women but they deem them incompetent.

Yo, I came across this article in the MIT Technology Review several days ago. It's basically about how a few mathematicians showed clearly that language is actually really sexist, which also plays into gender stereotypes and stuff.

• 8 months later...
LuckofTheChuck
On 8/15/2016 at 7:00 PM, Suede (8) said:

Just a random question, I was googling about this on the internet and I found an article showing this: (edited* I wrote too much and it was annoying to read)

Words commonly used to describe femininity:
dependent
emotional
passive
sensitive
quiet *
graceful
innocent
weak
flirtatious
nurturing
self-critical *
soft
sexually submissive
accepting

Words commonly used to describe masculinity:
independent *
non-emotional *
aggressive (sometimes*)
tough-skinned *
competitive (sometimes*)
clumsy
experienced
strong
active
self-confident
hard
sexually aggressive
rebellious *

Most of all I found this funny, what do you think? which of these words would you say describe you? (for me I marked them with an *)

I would be mostly masculine then.

Archived