Which languages do you learn and why?

Emery.

J. van Deijck
6 hours ago, Yui-Drakon said:

I surely will! Dziękuję bardzo!

Jestem pod wrażeniem 😍

J. van Deijck

Btw, as many people here know already, this year I started taking official Dutch classes with the native speaker. So far I'm doing really well ♡

I'm a native Danish speaker
In school I had English, German, French and a little bit of Spanish. I've forgotten most of it, but English, thanks to games, and being on the internet.

Last year I decided I wanted to learn Spanish, because my best friend is Spanish, but also because I find it to be a beautiful language. I got to use it when I visited my best friend a month ago. His parents don't speak English, and he told me, his mom was upset she couldn't communicate more with me because of language barriers, because they all liked me, so I use that as motivation

Other languages I would love to learn/know are Patois, Hindi and Danish sign language

21 hours ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

Btw, as many people here know already, this year I started taking official Dutch classes with the native speaker. So far I'm doing really well ♡

Hhow about using the language outside classes? Do people actually answer you in Dutch or just switch to English?

J. van Deijck
10 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Hhow about using the language outside classes? Do people actually answer you in Dutch or just switch to English?

my helpful workmates actually talk to me in Dutch, especially since they know I started attending school 😂 so now I have some practice. They're all like aww 😂

J. van Deijck

I actually think learning Dutch is much easier if you already know English and/or German :D

HibernoHistorian

I took Latin and Italian in university, but wasn't very good at it. Latin was fun, though, because we got to translate actual primary sources, and I'm a nerd. (x

The languages I'm working on in my own time are Scottish Gaelic and Irish. I've more Gaelic than Irish (I actually held a conversation with someone recently! About Star Trek.), but I'm working on Irish more actively because I believe it will be important for my research and career (I study Irish political and cultural history, and I would like to do cross-community work and maybe language activism at some point.) I'm not great at either, but I can read a little bit and recognise a lot of words, and can probably hold a very simple written conversation, but I'm still working on hearing-understanding, and anxiety makes speaking really difficult.

Currently learning English (not my first language),German,Spanish and i know a bit of French (though my dream is to speak French fluently).

Why i learn them?

Hmmmm...

I guess it's mostly because i have to and because i'm good at languages.I also love them.I don't know why...It just makes me feel so...happy and excited whenever i go somewhere and i'm able to communicate and understand everyone around me.And the best feeling in the world is when native speakers compliment you on your ability to speak their language.

I hope that in the future i'll be able to speak even more languages😊💖

J. van Deijck

As much as I respect other people's interests, I'm happy to see some more people who didn't mention Japanese or Korean. 🤭

5 minutes ago, Jelle van der Lee said:

As much as I respect other people's interests, I'm happy to see some more people who didn't mention Japanese or Korean. 🤭

Japanese culture and language always fascinated me so i was thinking of taking up Japanese.But alas,i didn't have time nor resources to do so.I hope i'll be able to at least try learning Japanese later though...

Spanish (native), English, have studied German on and off since I was a teen but it's in my bucket list to actually learn it one day, have been studying Swedish on and off but more successfully than German for a few years. 

Spanish is my first language, started learning English in preschool because I had to (but only started becoming fluent when I was about 10 because I realized I was behind my classmates and I just generally wanted to learn more so I'd be truly bilingual, plus I wanted to be able to watch movies and read books in their original language). I've always been interested in learning German because it's my favorite language, I just love how it sounds. And I started learning Swedish because my then-partner was Swedish and we were planning to live together in Sweden one day, but also just because I thought it'd be a good experience. I'm not good with languages but if I become that close with someone who speaks a different language at some point I'll make an effort to start learning it, at least the basics. I'm not in contact with her anymore but I felt like I have gotten far enough with Swedish that it'd be a shame to just stop now and let what I learned go to waste so I'm trying to keep studying now anyway. 

@Starbogen

I spent a few years studying Spanish, first at uni, then through courses and blogging. Unfortunately I lost motivation. Good luck with your Swedish :)

Last year (or was it a year before?) I spent some time following some German-teaching YouTubers, because I had an idea to go back to German (which I had spent some years learning at school). Ultimately, nothing came of it, because, just like years before, the grammar stumped me and I didn't feel motivated enough to make the necessary effort. I guess you can clearly see them common denominator her, i.e. lack of sufficient motivation....

• 4 weeks later...

Russian (native) and English (immigrated to Canada). Have studied German and Kazakh in school, but… it was mostly because I was forced to study them. :(

Archived