Is there such a thing as genderneutral wedding attire?

Confusion 0

Confusion 0

Long story short; I went to a wedding recently, but since it was really short notice, I didn't have time to choose something I really wanted to wear. I ended up wearing a smart shirt and trousers, with a flower in my hair, but wasn't happy with my outfit in the end. The problem is, I don't think I'd want to wear a dress either, so does anyone have any ideas?

This is going to sound really lame but I genuinely think turtleneck jumpers look pretty smart, perhaps just plain black ones. Especially with a suit jacket too, that's a pretty solid formal look. In fact a suit jacket paired with things that aren't shirts is often a great shortcut to smart/casual, or a relaxed formal style.

That being said, I only really pretend to know anything about fashion, and in fact am completely and totally ignorant of the subject. That's me wearing a top hat and t-shirt in my profile picture so what do I know~

Some examples of a guy and a girl wearing the new summer 2k16 look, turtleneck and jacket.

8396b26146646b85af6ab31a0633960e.jpgYolQb56.png

I'm not sure I'd call it 'gender-neutral' so much as just a smart style that looks great on anyone, regardless of gender.

Confusion 0
Some examples of a guy and a girl wearing the new summer 2k16 look, turtleneck and jacket.

8396b26146646b85af6ab31a0633960e.jpgYolQb56.png

I'm not sure I'd call it 'gender-neutral' so much as just a smart style that looks great on anyone, regardless of gender.

The guy on the right looks like MatPat from The Game Theorists. :lol:

But yeah, I don't like turtlenecks...

The guy on the right looks like MatPat from The Game Theorists. :lol:

But yeah, I don't like turtlenecks...

That must have been my extreme man crush on MatPat subliminally influencing me ^_^ Clap and a half for turtlenecks~

Well, sweaters and classy jumpers are a good choice in my opinion, even if you haven't yet come to understand the supremacy of the turtleneck :P

(Again, I really know nothing about fashion...)

A nice t-shirt (long-sleeved maybe) and waistcoat can be cool, and formal. You could combine a turtleneck and waistcoat for the most killer look! Pretty dope, pretty hip hop~ (That last one definitely wasn't advice)

Sockstealingnome

A pant suit? They're pretty gender neutral I think and as long as it fits you properly, everyone looks good wearing one. The key is in the tailoring.

RainedMeadow
ChillaKilla

On a somewhat related tangent, I'm just irked that "neutral" means "masculine", and nothing feminine can be considered "gender neutral". One would think that neutral means in between.

On a somewhat related tangent, I'm just irked that "neutral" means "masculine", and nothing feminine can be considered "gender neutral". One would think that neutral means in between.

I was thinking the same thing. To me, a pantsuit with a flower or other feminine accessory is gender neutral; you mixed masculine and feminine elements. Maybe a suit with jewellery, or a colourful scarf? Or a dress, but with a masculine chest (ie wear a binder if you have a naturally curvy chest, or nothing if your chest is naturally AMAB-esque). I guess it really depends on the time of year.

But, to be fair, "gender neutral" often means "leaning towards the opposite binary gender you were assigned at birth" for many people, rather than truly neutral. And there's nothing wrong with that. So, if you're masculine normally in looks, swinging neutral might mean introducing more feminine attire into what you would otherwise wear, and vice versa.

butterflydreams

But, to be fair, "gender neutral" often means "leaning towards the opposite binary gender you were assigned at birth" for many people, rather than truly neutral. And there's nothing wrong with that. So, if you're masculine normally in looks, swinging neutral might mean introducing more feminine attire into what you would otherwise wear, and vice versa.

I agree. I think the perceived prevalence of masculine leaning stuff when it comes to neutral is because you have more AFAB people doing that than AMAB (that's been my experience everywhere I've looked unfortunately). There's very little definition of what it means for AMAB people to swing neutral. And for those that want to, that lack can be frustrating.

For AMAB people looking to be more neutral, I'd suggest accents. Hair accessories, bracelets, scarves, certain colors/patterns etc. And the more subtle the better. I used to wonder for the longest time what the deal was with Nick Allbrook. Look him up for ideas maybe.

Confusion 0

I agree. I think the perceived prevalence of masculine leaning stuff when it comes to neutral is because you have more AFAB people doing that than AMAB (that's been my experience everywhere I've looked unfortunately). There's very little definition of what it means for AMAB people to swing neutral. And for those that want to, that lack can be frustrating.

For AMAB people looking to be more neutral, I'd suggest accents. Hair accessories, bracelets, scarves, certain colors/patterns etc. And the more subtle the better. I used to wonder for the longest time what the deal was with Nick Allbrook. Look him up for ideas maybe.

There's that, and also the fact that a fair amounf of "male" clothing out there does look kinda neutral anyways. Anyone can wear it. But when you're AMAB, you have to go that extra mile in order to appear neutral, since wearing "male" clothing obviously won't make you look more neutral. I am slowly finding ways to appear more effeminate though, which as you both pointed out, just helps to counteract my naturally male appearance. Just a couple of weeks ago, I found a slightly more effeminate way of doing my hair. ^_^

But with my outfit for the wedding, I still looked male. I just didn't like the shirt and trousers. Male formalwear always seemed dull and boring to me anyways. Females get soooooo much choice, but males just get the same old boring suits... Hell, even females can wear suits... <_<

You could try a shirt with a more floral and/or colourful design? Bright colours tend to be read as feminine, so adding in bright colours and/or flowery things anywhere in the set will help, I think. So if a colourful shirt is too bold for you, you could also try a flower-y tie. Or, if you want to be really bold, you could do a floral print suit pants.

bluedragonwings

Kilts.

misswinchester

I was recently shopping for my best friend's wedding. I stumbled upon a pretty androgynous outfit. It was a white, tailored feminine dress shirt if that makes any sense. Then a black jacket that looked a bit like this one: https://goo.gl/images/A8z91K. Just plain black trousers would work best I think. Heels if you can take it, or flats.

The point was that it was a feminine twist on a traditionally male outfit. It was just a bit more flowy and decorated guess.

girltwink666

i was thinking about this when i went to my cousin's wedding. im agender so i would like to not be associated with any gender at all, but society seems to define gender neutral clothing as masculine. well, this doesn't work for me at all because i am amab so people are just gonna assume im cis.

this is going to sound funny but amy poehler formal shorts might work

144978298.jpg

Archived