Master Trump Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just helping chime in, here, doing my Admod duty as the cover Admod for the PPS forum of helping make sure members' discussions remain fair and respectful for everyone.

As the TOS and PPS forum rules' threads mention, please, remember that members are allowed to disagree, respectfully, without getting into personal, negative judgments or insults about other members.

If it helps, they have some tips and/or advice on how to disagree with other members, respectfully.

Thank you!

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the PPS forum)

TheoPalladinate
On 5/16/2016 at 9:12 AM, Ace of Amethysts said:

I`d have to disagree. While in my opinion Trump is an absolutely horrible human being, he still isn`t anywhere near as bad as one of the worst genocidal maniacs the world has ever known.

And reincarnation? Purely a fictional concept in my mind.

Well, there's no evidence to prove either. Reincarnation may or may not be real. We don't have any data to claim that either case is improbable.

4 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

Too bad there can't ever be a vaccine for stupidity.

There is, but I rather think posting what it is may breach ToS so I won't do so 

• Like 2
RoseGoesToYale
On 10/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, Tabula Rasa said:

stating they support his intention to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan

Hasn't every president(ial candidate) since Bush promised to do this, regardless of party, and not much happens?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LightningRose said:

Hasn't every president(ial candidate) since Bush promised to do this, regardless of party, and not much happens?

To be fair, sometimes politicians promise things and then once they get in office find there are impediments to carrying them out (whether it's new information that makes it more complicated or even undesirable, or just too much opposition to carrying it out, or whatever the case may be). Of course, sometimes they also promise things they don't intend to carry out. And it's not always clear which is which.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, daveb said:

To be fair, sometimes politicians promise things and then once they get in office find there are impediments to carrying them out (whether it's new information that makes it more complicated or even undesirable, or just too much opposition to carrying it out, or whatever the case may be). Of course, sometimes they also promise things they don't intend to carry out. And it's not always clear which is which.

Mhmm, many go in, with the intention to fix things. But become (or add to) the problem

The problem is we  all believe what they say in speeches (which a speechwriter who holds no political power at any level writes, or are plagiarized). Or these broad plans which include few details on their websites. They lack details intentionally so they can later claim it wasn't their fault the plan made no practical and/or political sense (usually they're budget passage impossible and/or most of their own party in congress don't support it.. e.g. the border wall or forgiving 10k of student loans).  All that matters is what they say at private donor meetings. And they're private for a reason.

TheoPalladinate
On 5/16/2016 at 8:53 PM, Tarfeather said:

I'm not a speceist. I don't intrinsically attribute more value to human life than other forms of life. The only thing that makes human life "more valuable" is a human's supposed deeper ability to feel. However, there is plenty of evidence that certain animals like pigs, dogs etc. aren't fundamentally different from us in terms of ability to experience emotions etc.

Recent studies seem to suggest that trees form a sort of simple communication network with each other which runs underground, and can signal to each other in times of distress. So apparently, trees are capable of feeling, too, we just can't understand it yet.

So what I want to ask you is, in treating all species equally, and in response to your comment that "murder of humans is worse than torture of animals", 

Where do you draw the line?

And this is important. The reason people hold torture/murder of humans to be more deplorable than that of animals, is because a human can understand the sheer amount of pain and suffering another human undergoes. In other words, we have the ability to empathize with other humans, and if, in spite of being able to experience the same kind of pain yourself and understand that other humans feel the same way as you do, you choose to inflict that pain on them, then you're a pretty deplorable person. About animals and other forms of life, people don't understand just how sentient there are.  Can you torture a jellyfish? A tree? What do these organisms feel? We don't exactly know, and this lack of knowledge prompts us to act unfavourably towards other species at times, to ensure our own personal survival. 

45 minutes ago, Moonman said:

What's the problem that's being alluded to here? I rather think it's a good thing that imperium isn't granted to one person or one establishment.

The problem is that they are only honest at the private donor meetings and we never know what they actually promised.

Oh, I forgot to respond to an earlier question you asked about voter turnout being up. Sorry. I think this a product of fear, not increased connection with the political system. People are much more afraid of politicians than they were in the 1990s and the 2000 election. Do you remember we almost had Al Gore? Now we have Joe Biden? White supremacist Joe Biden? It's like a twisted joke that they had to find a  white supremacist to run against Trump since he is one. That's where we are politically. The lesser of two white supremacists.

It’s an injustice that Trump managed to get through having covid-19 unscathed. He didn’t learn a damn thing from it. He continues to hold massive super spreader rallies endangering everyone gathering to them, then they take it back to their communities. He shouldn’t be having them at all. He brags about being immune now. Well, that may not be true. People can be reinfected and immunity may only last a few months.

I’m so fed up with Trump. I can’t wait for this election be over. Biden should win by a landslide.

Biden is not a white supremacist. There’s no equivalence with him and Trump.

• Like 6

Trump to me, was revenge on SJWs and snowflakes in general.

However, that awkward moment when your revenge backfires on you. 

Its like that joke that doesn't age well.

First term still worth seeing tbe hundreds crying about Hillary's loss.

Controversial opinion: Do vote Trump, it's the fastest way for a systemic revolution... Biden will just prolong that. 

(I'm aware of the human cost implication)

Ugh, 😬...

Don't take this seriously though. Just throwing up stupid thoughts. Im not advocating. 

On 10/13/2020 at 7:32 PM, natsume said:

Do you remember we almost had Al Gore?

That one Rage Against the Machine video kinda didn't age well. Then again, Bush turned out to be waaaaaaaaay more of a nightmare than anyone could've predicted.

Especially in retrospect, Dubya's election really was the beginning of the decline of the US. The empire in the hands of a moronic failson and a cadre of psychopaths ready to go full on jackboot authoritarian after one terrorist attack. Then wrecking the ”world police” image by tossing people in torture camps indefinitely without trial and starting wars based on lies. There's really no bouncing back from any of that. Trump didn't start it, he's just a fitting face for the decline.

• Like 4
RoseGoesToYale
19 hours ago, Phoenix the II said:

it's the fastest way for a systemic revolution...

I'd never advocate for voting for Trump, but it feels like such a rock and a hard place. Our current electoral system is what got Trump elected (and people can sit there and blame Russia and Putin if they want, it's certainly easier than collective self-reflection and critique), and it's our current constitution and legislative process that failed repeatedly to remove him no matter what heinous things he continues to do. It's what nominated Biden as his sole opponent, to the detriment of any other viable option, even in the face of voter disapproval, followed by almost immediate capitulation based on party allegiance.

Trump is the first real benchmark stress test the Constitution, the US Code, the legislature, the judiciary, the citizenry and our working concept of democracy have ever been subjected to, in 244 years of sovereign existence. The best programmer in the world couldn't have designed a better CPU stress test. His words and actions have systematically revealed every flaw, every weakness, every recurring problem within the American government, and these things can be traced to its foundation. And still, Americans convince themselves that their vote is their savior no matter what. I've begun comparing it to an abusive relationship... no matter what horrible candidates we're presented, no matter how much elected officials fail to do what they promised, no matter how much Americans beg for basic needs only to be hushed or verbally consoled by either of the two parties while they do nothing, we always come back each election year because that's when the system apologizes and promises to be better and allows us one vote as a means of buying our affections. And it works. I really think the only way the people will come to see how abusive this "partner" is is to hit rock bottom, in the form of an autocoup or an actual authoritarian regime. If Biden wins and Trump does concede, Democrats will consider the country saved by Biden and the awful system will just continue.

If Trump is truly hellbent on launching an autocoup, there's nothing we can do. Voting never saved other countries from this fate. If Barrett gets confirmed, Trump will have an entire loyal judiciary at his disposal, and we've seen, multiple times, that the Supreme Court is the ultimate interpreter of the Constitution, even if that interpretation is wrong. If whatever it is is not written in the Constitution, they can guess, and what can any average citizen do about it?

What does make us different from other countries is that dictators have to throw out the previous constitution if it contain clauses granting democratic efficacy to citizens and ensuring sets of pro-democratic rights. Our constitution was written by men who abhorred democracy and saw it as mob rule that would destroy the country. They were very careful not to put it in there. There's no text in there positively granting the right of anyone to vote, the right to access democratic infrastructure like ballots or polling places, the right to privacy, the right to movement/travel, the right of access to radio or television, innocence until proven guilt, the establishment of more than political party, the separation of church from state, the separation of powers, the right to education, and equal rights. Without something explicit, the judiciary can interpret it at will. Our constitution is a wannabe dictator's dream.

Am I advocating for abstention? No, and purely out of selfish desire to save my own behind. I've learned this year that directly calling the voting system into question makes 99% of Americans furious, across the entire political spectrum. But I am thankfully free to abstain. If I vote for Trump, he gets legitimately re-elected to office and can continue doing all of his nasty things with immunity. If I vote for Biden, my vote gets used by Trump as justification for an autocoup. If I vote for another person or candidate, I get labelled as a Trump collaborator. If I abstain, at worst my fellow countrypeople think me an idiot who doesn't care about government. I myself know it to be the opposite, and that's all that matters. But if I abstain, I have no part in whatever insanity is about to unfold. (and for people saying a vote for nobody is a vote for Trump... did Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia help Hitler?)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Still said:

That one Rage Against the Machine video kinda didn't age well. Then again, Bush turned out to be waaaaaaaaay more of a nightmare than anyone could've predicted.

Especially in retrospect, Dubya's election really was the beginning of the decline of the US. The empire in the hands of a moronic failson and a cadre of psychopaths ready to go full on jackboot authoritarian after one terrorist attack. Then wrecking the ”world police” image by tossing people in torture camps indefinitely without trial and starting wars based on lies. There's really no bouncing back from any of that. Trump didn't start it, he's just a fitting face for the decline.

ACB was a lawyer on Bush v. Gore. 

Forest Spirit
17 hours ago, daveb said:

Trump and QAnon

Oh yes, that comment was just "what?"

But I'm sure he will turn that over somehow into not meaning what it meant...

• Like 1
RoseGoesToYale

So I found this today...

121677219_2039978109469270_4299429384805

This seems to be because they deported parents before judge ordered that not to deport the parents without reuniting them with their children

RoseGoesToYale

I find it very weird watching democrats lecture other democrats about how horrible Trump is. That's like walking up to a grape salesman and lecturing him about how awesome grapes are. If at this point you're unaware of how awful Trump is, no amount of lecturing is going to fix that.

• Like 3
RoseGoesToYale

Remember, wind is expensive and it kills birds.

• Like 4

It's honestly terrifying to me that there are people willing to vote for Trump (and other politicians in that category).  The far right doesn't see people of color as human, and they're wilfully blind to science.  The ads for them are thinly veiled demands that you vote for human rights violations and environmental destruction.  What anyone sees in that particular pack of bastards is beyond me.

*end rant, take deep breath*

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Karst said:

The far right

The far left is just as bad. Simply different levels of insanity to their beliefs. Either extreme is bad. 

That's why Trump is bad. 

Biden barely tip toes into the left, meaning he is open to discussion.

Open to change. 

Likely could better understand the other side than the other way around. 

Thats why I am surprised personally. Biden is the safe choice.

He won't do much while in office, and that's exactly why people want him.