Master Trump Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just helping chime in, here, doing my Admod duty as the cover Admod for the PPS forum of helping make sure members' discussions remain fair and respectful for everyone.

As the TOS and PPS forum rules' threads mention, please, remember that members are allowed to disagree, respectfully, without getting into personal, negative judgments or insults about other members.

If it helps, they have some tips and/or advice on how to disagree with other members, respectfully.

Thank you!

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the PPS forum)

On 4/20/2020 at 11:28 PM, Arodash said:

Okay. And people insult Trump for the way he talks, they insult his physical characteristics too. So. Because he does it its suddenly bad?

Honestly, I  have a disability. I've been mocked in the same way as Trump mocked the journalist. It is very upsetting as I can't help the fact that I have the disabled and to be ridiculed for my disability, it is upsetting

I really don't feel based on my personal experience that it is comparative. It is not equivalent. 

Trump view on the paralympics to a group of paralympians

"it was tough to watch too much, but I watched what I could" 

23 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

In the 2004 interview with Stern, Trump tells the host that "My daughter is beautiful, Ivanka," to which Stern interjects, “by the way, your daughter.” Trump finishes Stern’s sentence by repeating “she’s beautiful.”

“Can I say this? A piece of ass,” Stern says in the clip. “Yeah,” Trump replies.

In another clip uncovered by CNN, this one from 2006, Stern asks Trump, “did your daughter get breast implants?” The real estate mogul replied that “no, she didn’t. I mean, I would know if she did. The answer is no. Why, did she look a little more stacked?”

“She looks more voluptuous than ever,” Stern said.  “No, she didn’t get them,” Trump said. “She’s actually always been very voluptuous.”

Among the other clips from Stern’s radio show unearthed by CNN is one in which Trump says “check out time” for relationships with women is when they turn 35. In another, he discusses having sex with women who are menstruating and in yet another, he brags about having had group sex.

And another is about walking in on women on purpose getting undressed at miss universe and miss teen universe

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/300093-trump-confirms-he-walked-backstage-when-beauty-queens

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, iff said:

Trump view on the paralympics to a group of paralympians

So little heart or soul.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, daveb said:

Are you conflating entertainers/comedians with reporters?

Absolutely not. Entertainers will take bold shots at him, quite often and it is to be expected. Comedians will base their material, based on the things he does and say. Again, this is to be expected, as its their job. Their job is to paint a picture, as long as its funny.

The news, have an ethical duty, to report accurately and do so in a balanced manner. I.E Presenting all sides. Deliberately only painting one side, is striving to create a bias. I shouldn't be able to tell which political party a news outlet belongs to, simply by looking at their reporting, but can. Anyone who can read between lines, can.

Taking shots, are done by reporters doing opinion pieces and letting their emotions get the best of them, when they should be sticking with their ethical responsibilities. Nobody should expect full objectivity, but when you leapfrog lines, you become no different than a tabloid. When taking passive aggressive shots, and calling oneself "information", you become as credible as the National Enquirer.

Trump is clearly a moron, I'm not questioning it. However, its their responsibility to present all that they have, good and bad, and allow people to make their own decisions.

I have nothing but respect for Obama, for sticking to his morals when talking about Trump. His reputation speaks for itself. Sinking to Trump's level makes one no different. Doing so, and playing innocent, makes one a hypocrite.

7 hours ago, daveb said:

when it comes to reporting facts I think many do try to aim for some level of objectivity

Some should try harder. The moment you cross that line, you give him ammunition to call you "fake news", and be rather close to accurate.

7 hours ago, daveb said:

Trump's "humor" comes off as meanness and pettiness in my opinion

That's because it is mean and petty. However, to someone who say, hates Hillary Clinton, they will love Trump for blasting her in a way many of them wish they could.

7 hours ago, daveb said:

I guess that appeals to some people though, as sort of "down to earth" or "honesty", or something. I find that rather sad myself.

He comes across as someone who speaks his mind (or at least did while campaigning). He's off the cuff. Bad for politics. Good for anyone who has a distrust of politics. If only people knew he was worse and more dishonest, they wouldn't have voted him in.

I can totally understand why he would have appealed to some, due to how he is. I can also understand why people hate him.

Personally, I think he's incompetent, but have no reason to hate him.

31 minutes ago, iff said:

Almost like a Trump speech :D 

• Like 6

The media is piss poor, but I don't really know how it can be improved. They are all just large companies that will profit off of pandering to one side or the other. We just don't have the old kind of journalism. It all started going downhill the second cable news became a thing, then the internet didn't help. The only good thing is that most bias is blatant, so it is easier to avoid if you are a discerning viewer. About the only news i can stand is foreign.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

The media is piss poor, but I don't really know how it can be improved.

If there are heavy profits to be made, you can't fix it because they will always twist everything from headlines to stories to get the ratings that they need.

They need Trump, not the other way around.

3 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

If there are heavy profits to be made, you can't fix it because they will always twist everything from headlines to stories to get the ratings that they need.

They need Trump, not the other way around.

The media has made bank off of Trump. They love him. Maybe not every individual newscaster, but the executives definitely do, and they call the shots. Trump is bragging about his ratings for reasons.

• Like 1

Media bias, yellow journalism, etc., has existed as long as anyone ever communicated news and information. Whether it's worse now is debatable.

Back to Trump, he is certainly a bully, which is kind of ironic (in a sad way) given the FLOTUS's anti-bullying campaign (which we don't seem to hear a lot about). He's also a con man, anti-intellectual, anti-science, anti-facts, and not even self-consistent within a single press conference (he says things at one point and then when he gets caught out/questioned by another report, for example, says something else). Yeah, it's not hard to figure out why he appeals to some people (for various reasons, maybe in good faith, but most of which don't reflect well on those supporters).

• Like 2
On 4/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, Arodash said:

Okay. And people insult Trump for the way he talks, they insult his physical characteristics too. So. Because he does it its suddenly bad?

On 4/20/2020 at 6:29 PM, Arodash said:

Shouldnt we be holding everyone to the same standard? and that includes making fun of the annoying orange himself? 

He started it, first, though, saying insulting things about people, women, democrats, etc. It matters a lot--and has more of a serious, negative affect when someone with that high position gives their supporters the impression that it's okay to be hurtful toward other people, particularly minorities, democrats, etc. (e.g. calling them "****hole countries," "...do nothing democrats," etc.) There's also been a problem with some supporters bringing Nazi flags, throwing torches, hitting people, and deliberately hurting others...

TW:

Spoiler

...like running them over--at protest rallies.

Comedians have been making fun of public figures, including political ones, for many decades (which is allowed); it isn't something new that's only been happening to Trump.

When minorities don't have any power in life, no ability to change how majority of people who aren't a part of a minority are okay with not caring how their lives are affected, who vote against rights for minorities (LGBT+ for example), comedy is one way of dealing with that and their emotions, not letting themselves feel defeated or depressed about their lives (instead of choosing to become angry and trying to physically hurt others, for example).

It is very tiring and exhausting feeling angry at constantly hearing and being reminded that most people in my state don't like or care about LGBT+ people, POC, Democrats, etc. Some are okay with saying racist and political jokes and talking about how bad LGBT+ people, POC, and Democrats, whereas LGBT+, POC, etc. aren't able to say anything to anyone about it because they're outnumbered and locals don't care.

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yeah, it's not hard to figure out why he appeals to some people (for various reasons, maybe in good faith, but most of which don't reflect well on those supporters).

He's a narcissist. He desperately needs negative advocates. He knows how to sew discord, and fan flames. Its a natural gift. Anyone who shares his views on how the world is f****ed, will be easy pickings for his panic fanning message.

To his defense, he showcased his character while campaigning. He's delivering as promised on just that.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:59 PM, Arodash said:

And yeah, some of us like it when Trump  takes these elitists down a few pegs

Btw, by what measure do you decide that someone is an elitist?  I consider myself an elitist.  By almost any significant measure I can think of, I am part of elite group.  But maybe our measure is different, or your definition is different.

40 minutes ago, Arodash said:

thats how free speech works. 

But it doesn't mean there won't be consequences.  You can become a much-loved figure or a hated buffoon.  Or both!

• Like 4

So which is it--that he's an elitist because he wants to control us, or that he's not an elitist because he doesn't pretend he doesn't want to be in control?

• Like 2

I've just remembered something else: Trump has protection from secret service; everyday people do not.

So, an average person/comedian making a joke(s) about Trump isn't likely to be as threatening or dangerous for his life, compared to all the things Trump says about minorities, democrats, etc. (e.g. Trump calling COVID-19 the "Chinese virus" and Asian-Americans being harassed and blamed for the virus; Muslims being harassed, etc.)

In some states/areas minorities already have to watch everything they say and do in their daily lives, in order to protect themselves, for fear of being harassed or attacked. It's not the same as people from a majority group who are allowed more freedom to express their political affiliation--openly with flags, bumper stickers, racist and political jokes against those who vote Democrat--without living in fear of others from an opposing political party harming them or harassing them for being a minority, different, etc.

No one in my area ever puts up a Democratic sign, bumper sticker, LGBT+ flag, wears an LGBT+ shirt, etc., even though they're a small minority that does exist.

• Like 4

I think it's hilarious whenever people say Trump is taking down elitists. Who the heck do you think he is? He's a millionaire who got there off his family's money, not a self-made made in the slightest. He openly bragged about bribing politicians and CEOs and companies to get what he wants. He sides with the CEOs far more than he sides with the small guy. How is he not an elitist? He's in the 1%! He is the establishment, and not because he's POTUS, but because he literally is the poster child for everything I hate about "elites". 

When people say he's not a career politician, yeah, you got me there. But I never understood why you would want someone who has never trained for this job in this position. Do you want an English teacher doing your plumbing? How about a seamstress taking your car's engine apart? Politicians might be mostly pieces of shit, but they know their stuff. They know the different ins and outs of treaties and policies, they know they can't say "Chinese virus" on an international memo or whatever because 95% of the global population finds that racist, they know they have to watch what they say in order to not be caught in 1,001 lies by the end of the day. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Arodash said:

Virus have always been named for where they come from this isnt new

You realize this virus already had a name right?

He went out of his way to change it's name to make it racist. 

And calling the virus based on the country it happened to originate in? Yeah, that's fucking racist. Especially when you can see how many people are stupidly lashing out against anything and everything Chinese because of it. It takes a responsible adult to think "Hey, maybe downplay this fear and panic because blaming China isn't going to get us anywhere and people are being hurt."

• Like 4

Wanting to be above the law is close enough for me.  He said he could shoot a person on 5th Avenue and not lose a vote.  His lawyers have argued in court since he became president that he should be able to shoot someone on 5th Avenue now and not be prosecuted.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

I think it's hilarious whenever people say Trump is taking down elitists. Who the heck do you think he is? He's a millionaire who got there off his family's money, not a self-made made in the slightest. He openly bragged about bribing politicians and CEOs and companies to get what he wants. He sides with the CEOs far more than he sides with the small guy. How is he not an elitist? He's in the 1%! He is the establishment, and not because he's POTUS, but because he literally is the poster child for everything I hate about "elites". 

When people say he's not a career politician, yeah, you got me there. But I never understood why you would want someone who has never trained for this job in this position. Do you want an English teacher doing your plumbing? How about a seamstress taking your car's engine apart? Politicians might be mostly pieces of shit, but they know their stuff. They know the different ins and outs of treaties and policies, they know they can't say "Chinese virus" on an international memo or whatever because 95% of the global population finds that racist, they know they have to watch what they say in order to not be caught in 1,001 lies by the end of the day. 

AMEN.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

West Nile Virus

Named after the West Nile District of Uganda discovered in 1937.

Guinea Worm

Named by European explorers for the Guinea coast of West Africa in the 1600s.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Named after the mountain range spreading across western North America first recognized first in 1896 in Idaho.

Lyme Disease

Named after a large outbreak of the disease occurred in Lyme and Old Lyme, Connecticut in the 1970s.

Ross River Fever

Named after a mosquito found to cause the disease in the Ross River of Queensland, Australia by the 1960s. The first major outbreak occurred in 1928.

Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever

Named after its 1940s discovery in Omsk, Russia.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever

Named in 1976 for the Ebola River in Zaire located in central Africa.

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS)

Also known as “camel flu,” MERS was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012 and all cases are linked to those who traveled to the Middle Eastern peninsula.

Valley Fever

Valley Fever earned its nickname from a 1930s outbreak San Joaquin Valley of California, though its first case came from Argentina.

Marburg Virus Disease

Named after Marburg, Germany in 1967.

Norovirus

Named after Norwalk, Ohio after an outbreak in 1968.

Zika Fever

First discovered in 1947 and named after the Zika Forest in Uganda.

Japanese Encephalitis

Named after its first case in Japan in 1871.

German Measles

Named after the German doctors who first described it in the 18th century. The disease is also sometimes referred to as “Rubella.”

Spanish Flu

While the true origins of the Spanish Flu remain unknown,

None of that contradicts that post. Maybe this was meant to be a reply to the other one?

No, the one you quoted was me laughing about the idea of Trump not being an elite. 

Besides, as I said, IT ALREADY HAD A NAME. He wanted to CHANGE it's fucking name! Other people refused but he INSISTED! How is that not obviously showing he has an agenda? Especially when he knows people are reacting in a very racist way as a result?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Wanting to be above the law is close enough for me.  He said he could shoot a person on 5th Avenue and not lose a vote.  His lawyers have argued in court since he became president that he should be able to shoot someone on 5th Avenue now and not be prosecuted.

Omg I missed that. I just... how do people support this man? He's so arrogant he's flippant about committing fucking murder? 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Which court case did they argue he could shoot someone? I know he said that but it never actually happened.... so which court case?

The case where Trump was fighting the subpoena for his tax returns.

10 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

It takes a responsible adult to think "Hey, maybe downplay this fear and panic because blaming China isn't going to get us anywhere and people are being hurt."

And therein lies the rub.

• Like 2
Just now, Arodash said:

But the name wasnt changed. Its still Covid-19 and before that we called it the Wuhan-China virus. Trump always talks out of his but. If people react in a racist way thats on them, THEY are the racists.  I have no beef with the people of China. My beef is with the CCP

Who's "we"? Americans? I certainly didn't. No one I know did. I've always called it the coronavirus and then later started calling it Covid19. Literally the only people I know who called it the Wuhan-China virus? Racists. 

And see, there's a thing about language. Even if you don't mean it to be offensive, if other people take it as offensive, and racists and assholes start picking up on the language and use it for their own gain, how long until continuing to use the language makes you exactly what you claim not to be.

How long do you continue to use "gay" to mean happy? How about "faggot" to mean bundle of sticks? How long until someone's claim of ignorance holds no water? 

Just now, Arodash said:

Trump pushes every single button. Every single limit because he knows he will get attention. Bad press really is good press, ignore the troll and the troll goes away but people just keep feeding him

Unfortunately, you can't ignore the president. I wish they had back when he was just a fucking candidate. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Healthcare workers. When the CDC and WHO started reporting it to us thats what they called it

Please site. I'm legitimately curious because again, never saw anyone besides right-wing Americans call it that. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, SithEmpress said:

He's so arrogant he's flippant about committing fucking murder? 

Indeed he is:

Trump is fighting the subpoena on the grounds that as president, he has absolute immunity from criminal indictment or investigation. His attorney said that would block Trump from being arrested and charged even if he followed through on his campaign trail claim: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and wouldn’t lose any voters, okay?”

Attorney William Consovoy argued that New York authorities would have to wait until the president was out of office to arrest and charge him for that crime. The DA's office argued the claim was a fabrication.

“Once a president is removed from office, any local authority” could prosecute him, Consovoy told a panel of three judges from the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals. “This is not a permanent immunity.”

Judge Denny Chin pressed him on how the crime would be handled while Trump remained in office. “Nothing could be done, that’s your position?” he said.

“That is correct,” Consovoy replied.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Chinese is not a race. Its a country.

The UN definition of "racial discrimination" explicitly states the inclusion of discrimination based on national origin as part of that definition, so I'd disagree with that statement. (As does the legislation of several countries)

• Like 3