thylacine

Master Trump Thread

Malum
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Some of the children have been sent thousands of miles to detainment centers in different states (Michigan, New York, South Carolina, Florida, Virginia, etc.), and the parents have no idea if or when they will see them again.

Would you rather they be crammed into over crowded facilities? Once again, not America's fault. Parents should have thought of that before breaking the law.

Before you critisize something, try thinking of an immediate solution.

Skycaptain

Sieg Heil

• Like 2

iff
2 hours ago, Malum said:

They also don't even need to cross illegally to claim asylum. They can do it at the embassy. So it doesn't make sense they would intentionally try to cross like that unless...

What is your source on this as https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-obtain-protection-us-embassy-consulate.html disagrees

• Like 1

Perspektiv

One of the first lawsuits I've heard of stemming from this year's children being separated from their parents is finally being filed:

Not sure if there is a leg to stand on (is there?), considering she was breaking the law. Interesting, nonetheless. If she does, it would be curious how many more could see this loophole and use it to their advantage.

Trump has got to be the president with the most lawsuits filed against him. I'd be curious to see statistics on this, and how much of a lead he has on the runner up. Or who is beating him O_o

ben8884
3 hours ago, Malum said:

Would you rather they be crammed into over crowded facilities? Once again, not America's fault. Parents should have thought of that before breaking the law.

I dont think there are any immediate solutions though, and I think thats something Trump does not understand. Problem with illegal migrants? Build a wall. Problem with NAFTA? Tariffs.  Problems with the Iranian deal? Gone. What replaces that deal? Ummmm...worst deal ever!!! 

These are serious complicated problems and for me the worst and scariest thing about this is not that Trump doesn't know about these issues, its that he does not seem interested in finding out about them. 

Also Trump may well have more lawsuits against him than any other President but hey on the bright side he finally beat Obama at something! 

• Like 4

Sweet Potato
7 hours ago, Malum said:

the problem is that the children are all taken to these facilities, no exceptions.

Canada is currently seeing a huge wave of illegal border crossings, over 9,000 this year alone. Children are put in detention centers only when extenuating circumstances exist, such as if they are a danger to public safety. it is a last resort. the federal government is working on reducing the number of minors separated from their families as it recognizes that it is a traumatizing thing to do. It is a policy in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to keep families together whenever possible, and to work in the best interests of the child.

Is it so hard to see that these are human beings? Yes they broke the law by not using an official port of entry to seek asylum, but some sympathy, some basic human decency, reminds us that these are people. Detain the families together, put resources into expedient processing of claims, and treat them like people who have basic human rights.

• Like 4

pickles mcgee
8 hours ago, Malum said:

Those both sound awful, but I would prefer that children and parents stay together.

But, by my own standards, I have not done enough good in the world on any number of issues, and I’m not expecting any particular person to share my concerns now.  Different people care about different things.  I’ve been an elementary educator for eighteen years and a mom for longer; I care a lot about the social, emotional, and cognitive development of children.  Although I knew little about what was going on at the border before the new policy, I was alarmed to hear that children were being forcibly separated from their parents.  I still don’t know a whole lot about what is going on, or the legalities (though I’ve been reading quite a bit to try to get a sense), but my main concern is the short- and long-term negative impact this could have on the children.  Children’s cognitive and emotional growth can be slowed or impaired by stress and trauma.  I assume these children have already suffered quite a lot on their journey here and even before that, and I would hope to reduce that suffering as much as possible once they cross onto American soil.  Being in a strange new country seems harrowing enough; having your parents suddenly disappear seems traumatic beyond belief.

I also care about the parents and the trauma they have been through, and the reasons they felt compelled to leave their homes in the first place.  It seems in all likelihood that the parents were hoping to find a better life for their children, a place where their children could experience LESS stress and trauma.  Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor, and, for me, this punishment does not fit the crime.

• Like 4

The Terrible Travis
8 hours ago, Malum said:

I am honest to God, surprised at how irrational people are about Trump. Factual evidence to a Liberal's argument can literally be in front certain Liberals faces, and they will deny it exists, scream louder, project, deflect, and act smug like they won the argument.

This is complete projection. Whenever conservatives are confronted with factual evidence contradicting their claims, they scream "fake news!".

• Like 1

Sally
22 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

A (basically Liberal) American friend of mine was saying the underlying genuine issue here is that south American parents are entrusting their kids to 'guardians' who in effect traffick them over the border - the parents think it's a new life for the kids and the traffickers have a get out of jail free card (and then obviously sell the kids). 

It's sort of semi touched on in the AG briefing at the White House, but I've seen no mention of it elsewhere, and I'm assuming if it had a significant role in the affair Trump would've lent on it as a rationalisation harder, instead of making it all about a dog whistle to his base. Even if it was really about trafficking, putting all kids in camps doesn't solve the problem, of course. 

Any one know any more about this? 

That's not the case.  The parents are coming with their children.  So far children separated from their  parents by ICE have been sent to17 different states, and the Pentagon is identiftying military bases where more  children will be held.  The Trump Administration is not  any longer seoarating children and  parents, but the intact families will be interned "indefinitely" -- meaning there's release time.  Also, the children already separated are not being sent back to their parents.  

daveb

They don't seem to even have any ideas of how to reunite the children and their parents. It's as if they never planned for it. The "best" option they seem to have come up with is making the parents contact the US somehow, after they have been deported back to their countries of origin. It's a travesty and a tragedy. Vile and contemptible and shows how low some people in the US have sunk (or never risen from). It's inhumane and indefensible. The only ray of hope is how big the opposition to this policy/actions is. Hopefully it leads to fewer Republicans winning elections from now on.

Brings to mind what Joseph Welch said to McCarthy

"Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness." When McCarthy tried to continue his attack, Welch angrily interrupted, "Let us not assassinate this lad further, senator. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency?"

(and in the case of the current administration I would add "the depth of their incompetence".)

• Like 2

Skycaptain

Lucky USA taxpayers, give it a few years, when all the lawyers get involved, and you'll be paying the compensation. 

• Like 1