Master Trump Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just helping chime in, here, doing my Admod duty as the cover Admod for the PPS forum of helping make sure members' discussions remain fair and respectful for everyone.

As the TOS and PPS forum rules' threads mention, please, remember that members are allowed to disagree, respectfully, without getting into personal, negative judgments or insults about other members.

If it helps, they have some tips and/or advice on how to disagree with other members, respectfully.

Thank you!

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the PPS forum)

8 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

Or the other reason AVEN is leftish, could be that being on the receiving end of intolerance makes you more empathetic and inclined to consider other people's feelings more. There's a definition of a liberal which is something like 'a right winger who's suffered an injustice'.

What intolerance do asexual people face? 

RoseGoesToYale

Am I the only idiot who thought "drain the swamp" actually meant draining swamps in the District of Columbia area? :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

While I think the ban was overkill, I can't stand Acosta.

He's exactly the type of reporting that has me avoid the news (I.E Those who try to enforce highly biased narratives and put words in people's mouths, vs objectively covering the news). If you don't meet their narrative they're pushing, they'll bully you until you submit, or get upset and then either way--make the news.

I saw the video. His question was fair. His refusal to stop, and pushing until he got a reaction, was unnecessary.  

Yes, journalists when the person they are questioning keeps avoiding the question should just stop asking the question and let the evader dodge the issue as much as he wants.

Wanting a person in power to actually answer the question and not evade it, is unnecessary.

Seriously, look at how trump will always evade the question if he doesn't like it. People need to keep persisting and not let him get comfortable ignoring the question.

Trump and farage have both the same answering style to question they don't like. This is that they don't answer, they talk about something else and go on a preprepared statement. Trump's friends in sinn fein do the same (he attended a fundraiser for them in 1993).

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, RosyIcepick said:

Am I the only idiot who thought "drain the swamp" actually meant draining swamps in the District of Columbia area? :ph34r:

I thought that too!!

39 minutes ago, iff said:

Yes, journalists when the person they are questioning keeps avoiding the question should just stop asking the question and let the evader dodge the issue as much as he wants.

Wanting a person in power to actually answer the question and not evade it, is unnecessary.

Seriously, look at how trump will always evade the question if he doesn't like it. People need to keep persisting and not let him get comfortable ignoring the question.

Trump and farage have both the same answering style to question they don't like. This is that they don't answer, they talk about something else and go on a preprepared statement. Trump's friends in sinn fein do the same (he attended a fundraiser for them in 1993).

Poor Donny is down in the dumps since his great victory last Tuesday. Only the sight of his boyfriend Vlad could put a smile on his face during these triumphant times.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, iff said:

Seriously, look at how trump will always evade the question if he doesn't like it.

A lot of politicians will skirt around hot topic questions they aren't prepared for. 

Some do it better than others. 

Deflecting questions is a delicate artform. Find me a president that doesn't do this. 

Acosta pressed, things were going nowhere and he then made the exchange about himself. 

He is not an objective reporter. 

That's my opinion, however. I think he is trash but did not deserve a revocation of his pass. 

7 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

A lot of politicians will skirt around hot topic questions they aren't prepared for. 

Some do it better than others. 

Deflecting questions is a delicate artform. Find me a president that doesn't do this. 

Acosta pressed, things were going nowhere and he then made the exchange about himself. 

He is not an objective reporter. 

That's my opinion, however. I think he is trash but did not deserve a revocation of his pass. 

From what I have seen I would have to agree. I think John Wards commentary on him is the best I have seen, mostly cos I just love his sense of humour:

Oh there are two.. Got to love Ward.

I had a change of heart on putting embedded videos.. I know it will give too much of an excuse for someone to be offended.. If you actually care, just search YouTube for "Abilio Acosta Ends Jim Acosta's Career (Part 1)" and "Abilio Acosta Ends Jim Acosta's Career (Part 2)" I think the whole thing is funny, but then I don't care much about words. 

So of an Acosta accosts a costly president it costs their job, 

Throw money at the courts and they get their job back. The only winners are lawyers and economists because this has boosted GDP 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Skycaptain said:

So of an Acosta accosts a costly president it costs their job, 

Throw money at the courts and they get their job back. The only winners are lawyers and economists because this has boosted GDP 

It does seem rather like american politics could be written by William Shakespeare, Had Mr Shakespeare  written his plays by making a house from dictionaries, and then rubbed a couple of bits of uranium together to keep warm.

The Shakespeare play that came to mind was "Much ado about nothing".

• Like 2
5 hours ago, G0D said:

The thing with this wall. I am a bit take back as to why it's not being built. Could they not find the money? I

It's not being built because Congress -- both Dems and Republicans -- think it's a stupid, ineffective idea.  

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Mysticus Insanus said:

And by a Trump-appointed judge, no less! :D

Trump had no right to revoke the pass, based on the groundless claims he and his administration made in revoking it in the first place. Had the judge upheld the initial ban, it would have set a really bad precedent for any thin skinned president in the future.

However, lets not forget Trump fights tit for tat.

He lost this round, because there are no defined grounds or rules for conduct inside the white house. He'll get a round of rules put forth, and then he gets legal grounds to enforce them. They have to be ambiguous enough, to truly give him power to enforce them at his discretion. Or make them specific, and force the press to alter their behavior.

If the latter gets passed, its still unprecedented power given to the president. 

I've dated a highly narcissistic person in the past, so I'm not surprised at the relentlessness shown by Trump in resolving this "problem". He sees being called out or accused of anything as a personal attack.

Its the main reason he's never grown in life. Telling him anything, would result in him barraging you with insults and pressure (often legally), meaning very few dared to challenge him. He's however slowly realizing that his friends Putin and Jong Un's iron fist like rule in their countries don't fly in North America. Or under any democratic rule.

I still can't stand Acosta. He is one of those overly smug reporters you just want to punch in the face. 

I have seen similar reporters deservedly so, receive such a fate. IE not knowing when to back down. 

Saw one get a broken nose when challenging a mobster on the street who repeatedly ordered him off his property.

"No, no. No. You must answer. No. No..." *hard jab to the nose, followed by him pulling out a blunt object to further the damage*

*reporter starts running away, with a clearly broken nose*

Sorry, but I smiled watching this. I hate people who claim they are there to inform you, but only if force fed in their highly biased narrative. 

His bully and interrupting tactics are the same as Trump. 

You tried to force an a-ha gotcha question at the podium and failed, so derailed the question period due to your own butt hurt feelings.

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

I still can't stand Acosta. He is one of those overly smug reporters you just want to punch in the face. 

I have seen similar reporters deservedly so, receive such a fate. IE not knowing when to back down. 

Saw one get a broken nose when challenging a mobster on the street who repeatedly ordered him off his property.

"No, no. No. You must answer. No. No..." *hard jab to the nose, followed by him pulling out a blunt object to further the damage*

*reporter starts running away, with a clearly broken nose*

Sorry, but I smiled watching this. I hate people who claim they are there to inform you, but only if force fed in their highly biased narrative. 

His bully and interrupting tactics are the same as Trump. 

You tried to force an a-ha gotcha question at the podium and failed, so derailed the question period due to your own butt hurt feelings.

Amen!

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

The press is not supposed to back down, because they are our voices.  

• Like 4
Just now, Sally said:

The press is not supposed to back down, because they are our voices.  

Yes but they are SUPPOSED to report on the story, not BE the story.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, G0D said:

If Trump had answered the question in some manner -- even by saying he wasn't sure -- this wouldn't have happened.  But Trump is an extremely unusual President and instead of doing that, he told one of his minions to take the mike back from the reporter, and she tried to grab it away.  That's never happened before in the decades I've been watching press conferences.  That and Trump's revoking the reporter's credentials were the story, not the reporter.  

• Like 4
Just now, G0D said:

Further... 

The big issue is that the press in the USA (at least) is politicised, and blatantly so, the press professes to just tell the story, and give facts. But they don't do this, their coverage, and the content they present is done to please the audience, and to shape peoples political opinion. It has for both sides of the political spectrum become propaganda,

In the UK the same thing has happened, the only difference is that TV reporting has become entirely biased towards the left, there isn't any media that balances it out. I trusted the BBC for most of my life, I was proud of the corporation, and proud that in the UK we had a news service that was unbiased. I was gutted when it finally hit me that it wasn't. It's not as blatant as it is in the states, and it's not necessarily about the things they report, it is VERY blatant when you see what stories they publicise, and the ones they don't. I could explain, but I would end up publishing another one of my stupidly long posts.

I keep thinking that I should try and start a politically neutral news service, but I don't have the resources to pull it off. Personally I don't get my news from TV or radio, or news papers. I like to follow things from sites, and alternative media, and for stories that interest me, I enjoy following the trails, and finding out the truth behind things. I think the reason I am the way I am is that I grew up being christian, heavily christian, and an evangalist, and one day I was 15 and I bumped into someone who tried to sell me on Amway (a network marketing company) and I thought "Shit this whole thing seems like evangelist Christianity.  I asked the question "Who pays for the "Youth Team", I found out, I also found out that the same business was the company who published not just the Bible I was reading, but all the other books, and "Christian Pop" music I consumed. That was about all I needed to say "enough". Now - Now when people start talking in talking points, and their answers to questioning is to say "Your a <insert insulting type of bigot name> if you think like that! I mean the feminist saying "Listen and believe" ! Jees....

I digress... What I want more than anything else is reporting that does give people room to asses how they feel about something on their own, and not a non ending conveyor belt  of propaganda, 

24 minutes ago, Sally said:

If Trump had answered the question in some manner -- even by saying he wasn't sure -- this wouldn't have happened.  But Trump is an extremely unusual President and instead of doing that, he told one of his minions to take the mike back from the reporter, and she tried to grab it away.  That's never happened before in the decades I've been watching press conferences.  That and Trump's revoking the reporter's credentials were the story, not the reporter.  

No ALL politicians do it. It's part of the job. The only difference (if there is any) is that he has not finesse in avoiding questions.

Most politicians tend to avoid by answering another question, or just repeating a talking point, Something like this:

Journalist: So Mr Politician, How do you like your coffee?

Politician: Well Ms Journalist, that's a great question, but the real question is where the coffee came from, The Generic party and I want to bring more awareness to the plight of those who work in low paid work.

Actually that video before was the perfect example of what politicians do.. Go away now, and listen to any interview with any politician, and you will see it in answer just just about every question. They rarely or ever answer the question they are asked, it's so ubiquitous that you may not have noticed it.

As for the statement that The Trump is "Strange". I could not agree more. He doesn't deserve many of the things he is accused of, but he is not someone I would like to have over for tea, or share a drink with.

Any way watch this it's only a min or so long, and it demonstrates exactly what politicians do.

Here is just the part where he doesn't answer the same question for nearly 2min.

Here is the whole interview:

5 hours ago, Sally said:

The press is not supposed to back down, because they are our voices 

While I agree with the above statement, I still feel Acosta is a hack. 

I see him like Martin Bashir, and several others in the media who often have agendas. He is also notorious for adding spins to stories to sell news. He has been caught red handed several times. 

If this is the voices you say speak for us, then there should be more objectivity and integrity to the message being sent. 

Trumps idiocy speaks for itself. You painting the picture stops being news. 

Are you selling us stories or presenting us with the news.

CNN is a tabloid newspaper on TV. 

They are an insult to anyone who reads books. 

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

While I agree with the above statement, I still feel Acosta is a hack. 

I see him like Martin Bashir, and several others in the media who often have agendas. He is also notorious for adding spins to stories to sell news. He has been caught red handed several times. 

If this is the voices you say speak for us, then there should be more objectivity and integrity to the message being sent. 

Trumps idiocy speaks for itself. You painting the picture stops being news. 

Are you selling us stories or presenting us with the news.

CNN is a tabloid newspaper on TV. 

They are an insult to anyone who reads books. 

I've been reading pretty damned serious books for oh-too-long and CNN is not an insult to me.   I have no idea who Martin Bashir is, but knowing that you're Canadian, I again think that people who don't live in the US maybe should not make such absolute, definitive statements about US politics and politicians.  And I know you've said that you down here a lot, like you say you've dated a whole bunch of women and you've  had a whole bunch of jobs and lived a whole bunch of places, but I'm beginning to wonder whether some of that is just stories, to try to prove your points.  

Id like to point out we dont rake our forest floors in finland.

We do have loads of forest roads making it easier to get to fires but so far we havent really had bad fires so no idea if we would be able to handle such.

Judging how bad it was in Sweden this year i doubt wed be much better off. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Sally said:

I've been reading pretty damned serious books for oh-too-long and CNN is not an insult to me.   I have no idea who Martin Bashir is, but knowing that you're Canadian, I again think that people who don't live in the US maybe should not make such absolute, definitive statements about US politics and politicians.  And I know you've said that you down here a lot, like you say you've dated a whole bunch of women and you've  had a whole bunch of jobs and lived a whole bunch of places, but I'm beginning to wonder whether some of that is just stories, to try to prove your points.  

Well it's an insult to anyone who can think outside the box or read between the lines. They literally mock people with short attention spans, with how they run their news. The narrative text below the screen, on top of the scrolling breaking news stories at the bottom. That's essentially them knowing how short attention spans are, and trolling people about it.

Its the equivalent of a movie ditching any story line, and strictly going for rapid fire action scenes, in doing the same thing. Why bother with accurate or even quality content, when you have tons of constant action?

Bashir is a reporter who is quite famous, actually. He's the infamous reporter who made Michael Jackson look horrible in an interview, only to find out Michael Jackson had recorded with his own cameras too.

Made him look like a total idiot looking for a scoop, vs reporting accurately. It showcased a lack of integrity, as he had earned Jackson's trust before throwing him under the bus with many false allegations. He's been caught doing this a few times. Crazy how a carefully edited video can change a story. Trump is trolling CNN using the same antics they use. Probably why they clash so heavily. They're like twins.

He's been called out for his antics by several celebrities.

I'm Canadian, sure. I also read a lot about US business and politics. I also read a lot about politics and business about every country I've traveled to, including countries I'll be conducting business in (or currently am). I love social psychology, so tend to read about the social structures of every country I've been to, as well. It helps to understand how people respond to certain institutions.

I'm confused as to how being Canadian bars me from having an opinion on US politics. Or you being American, would bar you from having an opinion on Canadian politics, if you were well aware of how politics here were conducted.

Feel free to explain. I'm all ears.

For anyone who's interested, there is a national fire map website that includes incident reports of the cause of specific fires, whether lightening, man-made, whether the cause is still under investigation, etc.

I saw some of the California fires were listed as being caused by lightning, while others were listed as being under investigation.

RoseGoesToYale

Hmm... if we use Trump Logic™, that is, where raking = fire prevention, perhaps if we rake his hair he'll stop making inflammatory comments.

-runs off the hardware store-

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, RosyIcepick said:

Hmm... if we use Trump Logic™, that is, where raking = fire prevention, perhaps if we rake his hair he'll stop making inflammatory comments.

-runs off the hardware store-

Ah ha ha ha! 🤣

5 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

Dear God he can't even remember the name of the place he's visiting, while he's visiting its burnt down remains and it tragically had one of the most memorably darkly ironic names ever.

No words.

He doesn't care and doesn't even pretend to care about the people of Paradise. It is insulting and disrespectful.

• Like 4