Master Trump Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just helping chime in, here, doing my Admod duty as the cover Admod for the PPS forum of helping make sure members' discussions remain fair and respectful for everyone.

As the TOS and PPS forum rules' threads mention, please, remember that members are allowed to disagree, respectfully, without getting into personal, negative judgments or insults about other members.

If it helps, they have some tips and/or advice on how to disagree with other members, respectfully.

Thank you!

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the PPS forum)

Sweet Potato
7 hours ago, Malum said:

Would you rather they be crammed into over crowded facilities? Once again, not America's fault. Parents should have thought of that before breaking the law.

Before you critisize something, try thinking of an immediate solution.

the problem is that the children are all taken to these facilities, no exceptions.

Canada is currently seeing a huge wave of illegal border crossings, over 9,000 this year alone. Children are put in detention centers only when extenuating circumstances exist, such as if they are a danger to public safety. it is a last resort. the federal government is working on reducing the number of minors separated from their families as it recognizes that it is a traumatizing thing to do. It is a policy in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to keep families together whenever possible, and to work in the best interests of the child.

Is it so hard to see that these are human beings? Yes they broke the law by not using an official port of entry to seek asylum, but some sympathy, some basic human decency, reminds us that these are people. Detain the families together, put resources into expedient processing of claims, and treat them like people who have basic human rights.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Malum said:

Would you rather they be crammed into over crowded facilities? Once again, not America's fault. Parents should have thought of that before breaking the law.

Before you critisize something, try thinking of an immediate solution.

Those both sound awful, but I would prefer that children and parents stay together.

But, by my own standards, I have not done enough good in the world on any number of issues, and I’m not expecting any particular person to share my concerns now.  Different people care about different things.  I’ve been an elementary educator for eighteen years and a mom for longer; I care a lot about the social, emotional, and cognitive development of children.  Although I knew little about what was going on at the border before the new policy, I was alarmed to hear that children were being forcibly separated from their parents.  I still don’t know a whole lot about what is going on, or the legalities (though I’ve been reading quite a bit to try to get a sense), but my main concern is the short- and long-term negative impact this could have on the children.  Children’s cognitive and emotional growth can be slowed or impaired by stress and trauma.  I assume these children have already suffered quite a lot on their journey here and even before that, and I would hope to reduce that suffering as much as possible once they cross onto American soil.  Being in a strange new country seems harrowing enough; having your parents suddenly disappear seems traumatic beyond belief.

I also care about the parents and the trauma they have been through, and the reasons they felt compelled to leave their homes in the first place.  It seems in all likelihood that the parents were hoping to find a better life for their children, a place where their children could experience LESS stress and trauma.  Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor, and, for me, this punishment does not fit the crime.

• Like 4
The Terrible Travis
8 hours ago, Malum said:

I am honest to God, surprised at how irrational people are about Trump. Factual evidence to a Liberal's argument can literally be in front certain Liberals faces, and they will deny it exists, scream louder, project, deflect, and act smug like they won the argument.

This is complete projection. Whenever conservatives are confronted with factual evidence contradicting their claims, they scream "fake news!".

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

A (basically Liberal) American friend of mine was saying the underlying genuine issue here is that south American parents are entrusting their kids to 'guardians' who in effect traffick them over the border - the parents think it's a new life for the kids and the traffickers have a get out of jail free card (and then obviously sell the kids). 

It's sort of semi touched on in the AG briefing at the White House, but I've seen no mention of it elsewhere, and I'm assuming if it had a significant role in the affair Trump would've lent on it as a rationalisation harder, instead of making it all about a dog whistle to his base. Even if it was really about trafficking, putting all kids in camps doesn't solve the problem, of course. 

Any one know any more about this? 

That's not the case.  The parents are coming with their children.  So far children separated from their  parents by ICE have been sent to17 different states, and the Pentagon is identiftying military bases where more  children will be held.  The Trump Administration is not  any longer seoarating children and  parents, but the intact families will be interned "indefinitely" -- meaning there's release time.  Also, the children already separated are not being sent back to their parents.  

They don't seem to even have any ideas of how to reunite the children and their parents. It's as if they never planned for it. The "best" option they seem to have come up with is making the parents contact the US somehow, after they have been deported back to their countries of origin. It's a travesty and a tragedy. Vile and contemptible and shows how low some people in the US have sunk (or never risen from). It's inhumane and indefensible. The only ray of hope is how big the opposition to this policy/actions is. Hopefully it leads to fewer Republicans winning elections from now on.

Brings to mind what Joseph Welch said to McCarthy

"Until this moment, Senator, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness." When McCarthy tried to continue his attack, Welch angrily interrupted, "Let us not assassinate this lad further, senator. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency?"

(and in the case of the current administration I would add "the depth of their incompetence".)

• Like 4

Lucky USA taxpayers, give it a few years, when all the lawyers get involved, and you'll be paying the compensation. 

• Like 1

I and some of my friends have just about given up on  our country being able to  recover from this ghastly President and his ship of incompetent and dangerous fools.  It would take several sane administrations to repair some of the damage he's caused, and we're not sure even that will be possible.  It is extremely depressing.  No one who doesn't live in America can understand how bad it  is.  

• Like 2

The answer is to be sure to get out and vote (or vote from home). Don't give up. There is always hope. I am encouraged by some of the recent elections, and actions from various people/groups (and especially from many younger people). In my opinion it is a disaster of a presidency, but we will recover. Yes, in the meantime a lot of damage will be done and a lot of people will be hurt; some of which is affecting me personally, so I am not saying this from an aloof standpoint. But I won't give up and I won't surrender.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, daveb said:

The answer is to be sure to get out and vote (or vote from home). Don't give up. There is always hope. I am encouraged by some of the recent elections, and actions from various people/groups (and especially from many younger people). In my opinion it is a disaster of a presidency, but we will recover. Yes, in the meantime a lot of damage will be done and a lot of people will be hurt; some of which is affecting me personally, so I am not saying this from an aloof standpoint. But I won't give up and I won't surrender.

In what way is it a disaster? Lowest unemployment in decades. 4.5 projected gdp. Supream court supporting the constitution. 

Just because the media says Trump isn't allowed to do X, doesn't mean he isn't doing something perfectly legal. Which includes defending the borders. They are taking every minor action and craking it up to 11 on Trump derangement syndrome. I am honestly surprised Liberals are not bombing people in their hysteria, but dang they are close.

4 minutes ago, Malum said:

How is it a Banana when it was a close call? 🤣

Do you actually expect me to take this question seriously? :D

In a decent country, a bill like this would be laughed at and voted against with however many people there are voting to zero.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Do you actually expect me to take this question seriously? :D

In a decent country, a bill like this would be laughed at and voted against with however many people there are voting to zero.

You're opinion doesn't really make it so though. It's fine to convince yourself though, if it helps you sleep at night. 😛

38 minutes ago, Malum said:

You're opinion doesn't really make it so though. It's fine to convince yourself though, if it helps you sleep at night. 😛

We could say the same to you. :P 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Malum said:

That's a very convincing argument. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for that interesting POV.

Also, *your

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Homer said:

That's a very convincing argument. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you for that interesting POV.

Also, *your

Blast these typos! 😲

Looking at this whole charade as an outsider, I see this. 

His abilities to appeal to the blue collar electorate is exceptional given his billionaire business person persona. A speech by Trump appeals to this social class in the same way that a speech by Hitler appealed to unemployed or low paid, just instead of blaming Jews he's blaming migrant workers, saying that they are taking jobs etc. Conveniently forgetting that former manufacturing workers from the rust belt are not able to desert their families to work in a car wash in LA cash in hand. 

His foreign policies are as stable as a weather cock in a tornado, when every other nation wants consistency and predictability from every world leader. Portraying yourself as Coco the Clown to the rest of the world, changing your policies according to Twitter and wanting to build Great Wall II are not actions to endear yourself to the global populace 

• Like 9

...aaand another shooting.

Fuck your meaningless "thoughts and prayers" - it's high time for action.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Homer said:

...aaand another shooting.

Fuck your meaningless "thoughts and prayers" - it's high time for action.

There will never be any national action while the Republicans control Congress.  We know that now.  Some states are trying to take legislative action.  But to understand why no action has come about, all you have to do is read some of the AVEN threads about gun control; the same crap is said repeatedly.  

• Like 5

Look what I've just found. I knew Trump had already ran for president in the past, but not about this:

• Like 1

Basically yes to this video. I was at a families belong together rally outside the US Embassy today

• Like 3

Totally a first world country. Seriously. No doubt.

It's amazing how many of you actually act like you care about this. You are so doped up on Media sensationalism, and dramatic effect you can't see how misinformed you are (or willingly misinformed)

There are 2.5 million American children in foster care because they don't have parents. Because they are either in jail, or deceased. Why are you not on the news talking about that? Oh that is right, because hardly anyone cares enough to make it a big deal. If you're so willing to invest money into others. Do it in nation first, not people who don't even live in America. Build a strong foundation, and then we can help others. You cannot stretch resources so damn thin. You accomplish one thing at a time. 

Oh but the 4k ought children being detained as their parents go through due process. THAT'S what makes us 3rd world. Not the 2.5 million at home.

Give me a break from the moral superiority complex for once. If the Left focused entirely on fixing in country problems, abandoning identity politics, supported Liberty again, and securing the border. I'd vote for them in a heart beat.

2 hours ago, Malum said:

You are so doped up on Media sensationalism

😞 Nice, civil, respectful. Not.

2 hours ago, Malum said:

You accomplish one thing at a time. 

Nope, that's not the way things work. A government can accomplish more than one thing at time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, daveb said:

😞 Nice, civil, respectful. Not.

Nope, that's not the way things work. A government can accomplish more than one thing at time.

It is highly dependent on the scale of the thing in question. It isn't black and white. Do you not realize the scale of money involved in certain social aspects of our civilization? Social aspects, are the most expensive of them all. 

21 hours ago, Malum said:

If the Left focused entirely on fixing in country problems, abandoning identity politics, supported Liberty again, and securing the border.

i don't see trump working on fixing the problems of the usa. instead he is focusing on his own identity politics (that of the ultra nationalism that he is promoting)

this isn't about fixing the problems but blaming others for them. as part of his ultra nationalism, he blames the media, muslims, immigrants, those who criticise him, the democrats,liberals, the left, china, europe, for any problems.

trump and his own identity politics (similar to putin, orban, the italian northern league) where it seems more important to have a group to blame for something than to work to a compromise.

• Like 6