Play me a record

Decaf

What's on your turntable right now?
Failing that, which 8-track cartridge, cassette, reel-to-reel tape, CD, or new-fangled mp3 dowload thingy are you listening to currently?
I'm listening to a Blossom Dearie LP, so here's a track for you;
Feel free to post your own music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtDj_6w6x0

Thanks, One Winged Angel.
Lovely song x
The way I post a youtube link is to type [*media*] then the link, followed by [*/media*] (without the *)

IMO, the best rendition of this song.

Gentle Giant

Right at this minute I'm listening to the Magical Mystery Tour album on CD by The Beatles. I do have a turntable. When I get a chance to spin something, I'll post it here.

I like Magical Mystery Tour, Gentle Giant.
Still have the wee book with two 7" singles in the cover.

Lovely music, Tja.
Funnily enough, I was at 'Opera in the Park' tonight, which was basically a live link-up with Covent Garden, shown on a huge screen in the open air.
It was nice to see so many people with fold-up chairs and picnic hampers :-)

Gentle Giant

I like Magical Mystery Tour, Gentle Giant.

Still have the wee book with two 7" singles in the cover.

That's neat!

Right now I'm listening to Phideaux - Snowtorch on CD. They are a newer prog band with an old prog style similar to Pink Floyd, Genesis, etc. Excellent!

I really like that track, Gentle Giant....thanks for the tip! They are completely new to me.
Today I've been listening to Harmonium...a French Canadian prog band, and Wigwam, who are from Finland, but have a Welsh vocalist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWtmOJk_j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7AqYop2a4

Gentle Giant

Today I dug out 2 records I listened to when I was a kid. Both are really old organ music records. The first was Eddie Layton - Caravan and the second was Ethel Smith's Toy Parade. Eddie Layton's is pretty good, but Ethel Smith's is superior. For as old as the record is, from 1951, it sounds great! Her music is also so much fun to listen to. Might have to search out some of her other stuff. I was also thinking she should have joined a prog band. :lol:

I've been listening to Faure's Requiem this evening. (It was performed at the Proms yesterday, and broadcast on TV, so I'm not sure that technically counts as playing you a record. I do have a couple of versions on CD, though.)

I love the music. (Actually, I like Faure's music, in general. My dad introduced me to the requiem, so it makes me think of him. Then, we played part of it at my mother's funeral. I couldn't listen to it for a long time after that, and while I can now, it's still a bittersweet experience.)

One Winged Angel

I love this song, heard it first in Assassins Creed IV and have listened to many different versions of it since. It's a very old song and has a melancholy feel which invokes nostalgia and sadness at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. There is some lovely music here and I'm learning a lot.
I've had this beautiful and sad piece by Piazzolla on repeat for a while;

Gentle Giant - I had a listen to Ethel Smith. Amazing musician!
I love this clip for its retro fun :-)

Gentle Giant

Glad you liked Ethel Smith, Curved Air. That video you posted of her sure was a lot of fun!

I finally got around to listening to these nice music pieces in the thread and especially liked Harmonium and Wigwam!

• 3 weeks later...
cavalier080854

Massenet Werther, with Carreras and Von Stade.

Gentle Giant

Today I listened to Jackson Five's ABC and Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry albums on cassettes. (I have them as records too)

Stealthy Potato

Much to my delight, synth pop is being revitalized <3 Chvrches...

Stealthy Potato

...one of my new favourite artists...Grimes...

• 1 month later...
cavalier080854

Agnes Baltsa :- Aspri Mera Ke Ya Mas (There Will Be Better days, Even For Us). A wonderful haunting melody in greek well suited for all AVENITES.

• 3 months later...
Gentle Giant

KISS Ace Frehley solo album on vinyl. Pretty decent rock record, probably the best one of the KISS solo albums. Love "New York Groove"!

Nothing right now (I have a migraine), but I often like to listen to my Pandora station that plays songs like some of Blossom Dearie's work and other artists along similar lines.

Gentle Giant

I'm enjoying Frank Zappa's Hot Rats album right now and have been listening to it a lot lately.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny I should come across this thread.  My old venerable Technics turntable finally died after almost 30 years of flawless playing.  Just replaced it with an Audo-Technica turntable and I'm playing Steely Dan's Aja album (Original Master Recording) on it.

@Hammerhead Oh no! Sorry your turntable died! Glad you could get a new one and enjoy your records again! I still have my vintage Scott table, if I remember correctly was from 1979. I hope it holds out quite a while yet.

The good news is that vinyl is coming back,  and there are a decent turntables at relatively affordable prices again. 

Not so sure about £25 for an album as opposed to £14 for the CD,  though 

Archived