Ranges of asexuality

I'm thinking of updating some content for the site when I get back to the states in december, and I wanted to throw up the outline of my ideas for discussion...

The section that goes through sexual attraction is both highly scientifically sketchy and not really to the point. The section that makes the triangle graph excludes asexuals who show a gender orientation and uses a binary model of gender. I'm therefor thinking of taking them down (and possibly ditching the triangle symbol, unless anyone's particularely attached to it) and putting up something more appropriate that outlines in more detail the different types of asexuality experienced by people here. I thought I'd throw it out now so it would be good and discussed by the time I'm available to update. Paranoidgynandroid's faq deals with some of this very nicely, but I figure a little redundancy can't hurt. The asexual people on this forum seem to fit in or between a few broad catagories:

A)Those who experience sex drive but no attraction: These are people who are aware that sex, on a purely biochemical level, might feel good but who would never feel compelled to engage in it with another person. The sex drive is dormant. Asexuals fitting this description may find sex with another person so socially and emotionally awkward as to be completely unpleasurable. (Yeah it might feel good to have sex with someone, it might feel good to run out and shoot up herion but for the time being I've got other things to do with my life..)

B)People who experience attraction, but no sex drive: Those who feel an attraction to others similar to sexual attraction but have no desire to consummate it sexually. Attraction is centered less on sexuality and more on emotional and sometimes physical (though non-sexual) intimacy. Like sexual attraction this sort of attraction can be oriented along specific gender lines. (Sure I like you, but why of all things would we want to do THAT?)

C)Both: People for whome sex biologically feels good who experience attraction that is purely emotional. This person may find it pleasurable to masturbate, and they may see someone and feel an unexplainable emotional attachement to them but they would never see any reason to put the two together.

D)Neither: Those who don't find sex pleasurable and don't experience attraction to other people. It's important to note that not experiencing attraction does NOT mean that these people do not form intimate emotional relationships, like those in group A they are fully capable of forming intimate bonds with others and finding particular people particularely interesting without feeling anything that they define as "attraction."

Of course anyone can be between these catagories or experience them to degrees. Someone could have low sex drive or experience low attraction without being all the way a.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to divide asexuals into set groups, just trying to lay out the range in which asexual people lie. Technically, of course, anyone who identifies as asexual qualifies, but there seem to be some trends in the way that people here explain their asexuality and I think that they might be worth formally laying out. Thoughts? Reactions?

Hi!

The above sounds well-thought-out to me, and I don't see any "holes" in it. (Perhaps others will, though, so don't break out the champagne yet! :) )

It's a good idea, I believe, to edit that part, since the questions about "am I an asexual person" seem to pop up every once and again. This makes things very clear.

• 4 weeks later...
yetanotherangel

hello... i've only just found this site... and am very thankful! i am C... which i feel is close to being "straight"... but just so definately not. and 'horrah!' that i know that now! ok, i'm going to go and find out more about this! (i'm v excited i'm normal after all!) christina x

:) Well, since we appear to be announcing letters. I'm a D. It's interesting to find out where people fall in this. Heh, maybe it should be a poll.

• 1 month later...

I have briefly read the listed categorisations and the responses.

I think a serious aspect of asexuality has been overlooked in your list and it needs addressing. People are asexual for all sorts of reasons and in itself that is a big issue to discuss. However on accepting and embracing asexuality isn't it logical that some asexual men for example will choose voluntarily to have all libido removed by taking inhibitors with the consent and knowledge of their GP/MD so that erections and sexual arousal are strongly prevented.

No one should consider this lightly but

if one is deeply asexual, it should be essential to talk through and develop a

programme which will ensure asexual peace. A qualified MD/GP will monitor

liver function and other factors and their

full endorsement is essential.

I am only suggesting agreed/approved chemical and herbal ideas - their action is reversible- but an important aspect of asexuality has to include those who choose to inhibit or depress all sexual activity, including their own.

• 2 months later...

I am just a D. I have found so little information I was suprised there are considered degrees of asexual . - Wildhorse-

I'm sure you ain't the only C's!! There are lotsa lurkers out there. Ever notice how 145 people will read a post, and only about 15 will reply?? Those poor shy bastards!! lol

Eh, back to the subject. Guess I'd be a B :P

A, B and C. It changes every now and then.....

*rolling with rollerblades on a rollercoaster road*

oooooOOOOOooooooOOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooo :?

Love,

Skiddaloxx

bard of aven

I was always an A student (except for that time I flunked out of UConn), but I am only a C asexual.

boa

wednesday's child

eeh, I just noticed this got resurrected... wow, it's pretty old. n.n;

I'm a D, personally.

• 1 month later...

You know what?! It's so rare that I find people attractive, that I'm starting to sincerely doubt that I'm a B :shock: It's been years since I've seen somebody that I didn't think was ugly or boring!! lol

So! Is it too late to join you D's over there? :P

I'm thinking of updating some content for the site when I get back to the states in december, and I wanted to throw up the outline of my ideas for discussion...

The section that goes through sexual attraction is both highly scientifically sketchy and not really to the point. The section that makes the triangle graph excludes asexuals who show a gender orientation and uses a binary model of gender. I'm therefor thinking of taking them down (and possibly ditching the triangle symbol, unless anyone's particularely attached to it) and putting up something more appropriate that outlines in more detail the different types of asexuality experienced by people here. I thought I'd throw it out now so it would be good and discussed by the time I'm available to update. Paranoidgynandroid's faq deals with some of this very nicely, but I figure a little redundancy can't hurt. The asexual people on this forum seem to fit in or between a few broad catagories:

A)Those who experience sex drive but no attraction: These are people who are aware that sex, on a purely biochemical level, might feel good but who would never feel compelled to engage in it with another person. The sex drive is dormant. Asexuals fitting this description may find sex with another person so socially and emotionally awkward as to be completely unpleasurable. (Yeah it might feel good to have sex with someone, it might feel good to run out and shoot up herion but for the time being I've got other things to do with my life..)

B)People who experience attraction, but no sex drive: Those who feel an attraction to others similar to sexual attraction but have no desire to consummate it sexually. Attraction is centered less on sexuality and more on emotional and sometimes physical (though non-sexual) intimacy. Like sexual attraction this sort of attraction can be oriented along specific gender lines. (Sure I like you, but why of all things would we want to do THAT?)

C)Both: People for whome sex biologically feels good who experience attraction that is purely emotional. This person may find it pleasurable to masturbate, and they may see someone and feel an unexplainable emotional attachement to them but they would never see any reason to put the two together.

D)Neither: Those who don't find sex pleasurable and don't experience attraction to other people. It's important to note that not experiencing attraction does NOT mean that these people do not form intimate emotional relationships, like those in group A they are fully capable of forming intimate bonds with others and finding particular people particularely interesting without feeling anything that they define as "attraction."

Of course anyone can be between these catagories or experience them to degrees. Someone could have low sex drive or experience low attraction without being all the way a.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to divide asexuals into set groups, just trying to lay out the range in which asexual people lie. Technically, of course, anyone who identifies as asexual qualifies, but there seem to be some trends in the way that people here explain their asexuality and I think that they might be worth formally laying out. Thoughts? Reactions?

That seems like a good idea to me.

VivreEstEsperer

Maybe A,C,D...not really sure. ha.