1. 1.

• ...take antidepressants and are repulsed-asexual
    • ...take antidepressants and are bored-asexual
    • ...NOT take antidepressants and are repulsed-asexual
    • ...NOT take antidepressants and are bored-asexual
    • ...take antidepressants and are sexual
    • ...NOT take antidepressants and are sexual

This poll is closed to new votes

I just read an article linking antidepressant medication to lack of interest in sex and romance. It didn't actually use the term asexual, but it seemed to be saying that seretonin-altering meds can have all sorts of unexpected emotional concequences. Nobody should feel the need to reveal who they are and what they take, and I don't mean this poll to suggest that asexualism is a chemical imbalance. Personally, I think there're probably dozens of physiological, psychological, and genetic components that can play a part in asexuality; this poll is about whether or not antidepressants might be one of them.

You need to clarify bored-asexual for me.

I don't find sex repulsive but after I've read some sex guides/dictionaries (don't know what the hell I was thinking to do that) I do find many of the things that can be done in sex utterly repulsive.

however, I've had sex and I didn't find the kind I had repulsive.

Bi-asexual female virgin.

NEVER taken antidepressants.

NOT on any regular medication.

NEVER had any traumatic sex-related experience in the past.

HAVE been in love and involved with two men in past (both relationships ended because I would not do 'it'. We were, as my last boyfriend put it, 'sexually incompatable').

I am simply..... me! :P

I think by 'bored' you may mean 'indifferent'.

Yes, thank you. =P

I've been on antidepressants for years, but they generally affect sex drive, not sexual attraction. My sex drive is completely normal.

It's been known they affect sex drive for ages now, but but article I read was on feelings of romance as well, and while I know romance is something that asexuals can still enjoy and go for, that combined with a lack of drive could confuse a lot of people, and could have some impact on attraction as well.

There was another thread on this a couple of months ago, I think... *dig* here: http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=342242

Thanks again, I'm checking it out now.

What about other psychoactive drugs that are known to cause sexual dysfunction?

They weren't dealt with in the article I read, but I suppose the subject is generalizable.

I am an indifferent asexual and I do NOT take medication of any sort, unless my immune system gives in after the ususal cut back on sugar and up the fliud intake fails. It has been more than a year since I last took any form of medication.

I was this way before I took anti-depressants, the same while I was on them, and the same after I stopped them. They didn't seem to affect that aspect of life much (though one made it almost impossible to have an orgasm). A couple of them left me very spaced out and foggy... I could see how a sexual person might not be interested in sex while on them due to not really being able to focus on any one thing for longer than few seconds.

I've never touched any anti-depressants, and no mind-altering drugs except for alcohol and a couple of weak attempts at marijuana (and didn't exhibit any sexual interest before then.)

I've taken Prozac and Celexa in the past, and am on Wellbutrin now. I know they haven't had an effect on my sex drive -- I first took antidepressants in 1994, but knew I was asexual for 10-12 years before that.

indifferent a.. no meds

Ditto.

Hmm, unless we get a whole bunch more votes, it looks like there isn't much correlation at all, if any. Kewl. =Þ

Bi-asexual female virgin.

NEVER taken antidepressants.

NOT on any regular medication.

NEVER had any traumatic sex-related experience in the past.

HAVE been in love and involved with two men in past (both relationships ended because I would not do 'it'. We were, as my last boyfriend put it, 'sexually incompatable').

I am simply..... me! :P

uh yeah all that applies to me too, except for the two lovers thing...guys that see that i dont flirt and that i do go "ew no!" to their joking sexual advances (usually it's my friends just trying to bug me, so they make sex jokes, but others see my reactions) just think i'm immature--too immature to consider dating

I currently don't but I did take them for about six years. What makes me wonder, with anti-depressants' effects on sex drive, is if taking those kinda....made me not have any drive at all, seeing as I took them for all of my years of puberty (and thus sexual development). I'm not saying they made me asexual, I was probably this way my whole life, I just wonder if they could have killed any drive that was there, since you can be asexual and have a sex drive. I don't know. It probably doesn't mean anything, I'm just pondering silly thoughts. :P

I'm a indifferent asexual and I do take antidepressants, however I take a tri-cyclic antidepressant, only SSRI antidepressants affect libido.

I am a simple asexual; have never taken antidepressants; have taken very few medications indeed (antibiotics, rarely, for jaw abscesses, and analgesics,for severe pain or cramps associated with broken bones or arthritis.)

O, didnt vote because none of the categories applied to me.

I HATE antidepressants, those who make them, and prescribe them...

...and I'm bored :mrgreen:

antidepressants just affect you're sex drive, they don't turn you into an asexual (trust me, there's a difference).

when my psychiatrist prescribed them for me he warned that i would lose my libido, and i did. i used to mastubate frequently but since being on the meds i feel no urge to. put simply, you don't get horny anymore.

this differs from being asexual whereas being asexual means (well from an uninterested-asexual point of view) that you have no orientation to have sex even though you may have a sex drive.

well at least that's my perspective. forgive me if i'm way off the mark, i'm still yet to discover what i really am yet.

• 3 years later...

SSRIs reduce sexual appetite (if it's there in the 1st place). I've been prescribed them a few times for depression issues but never really persevered with them 'cos I couldn't handle the side effects. (They made me spew) :wacko:

Yes antidepressants; asexual way way before that.

I take Prozac and have for about three years, but I don't seem to have any loss of sexual drive, I just don't care for the idea of sex itself. I don't feel like it is important, and that my physical feelings are more similar an itch or random ache than anything. I'm actually not sure if I am repulsed or bored - I don't think sex sounds all that interesting, and at the same time it sounds gross and..uncomfortable.

Jillianimal

Take antidepressants and are bored-asexual. I've taken them for years. Oh how I wish I was over with them :(

Never taken any anti-depressants. I never go to the doctor. I don't think I need them anyway

My sexual orientation always changes but at the moment, I'm a repulsed asexual

Archived