UK citizens decided to leave the EU

poindexter

Final votes: 51.9% to 48.1% in favour of leaving. David Cameron has decided to step down as Prime Minister in October.

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

RIP :(

Will be interesting to see what non-English UK will do.

clotpole of kirkwall

I just can't. I just can't. We're so screwed. I'm gonna move to the moon.

One hand, surprisingly close all told. On the other hand, we're getting rid of Cameron ahead of schedule which I can't see any reason not to celebrate.

Otherwise...Honestly, no idea what to make of it as of yet, need to see how the pieces fall personally.

Perfectly Pointless

Personally, I'm rather pleased about the result.

Everyone is acting like it's the end of the world but really, not that much will happen. If Scotland and Northern Ireland want independence from us, fair enough. Let them.

The currency may have taken a plummet to it's lowest point, but I'm watching the news right now and the Bank of England are controlling it very well, and it's gone back up by quite a bit. Everywhere has been preparing for this to happen for months, they know what they're doing and how to handle the issues that could possibly come our way.

We also have an extra £350 million per week that we save by not being in the EU that we can spend on public services like the NHS.

Also, the process is not immediate, it will take several years for us to leave the EU. All that has happened is that a decision has been made.

As for David Cameron, he can get stuffed. I never did like him anyway. That being said, not many of the others are very good candidates either. They're all pretty naive about what it's really like to have to work hard to earn a living and have financial struggles.

The only thing I will say is a concern is the other countries wanting a referendum, like France, Italy, Denmark and so on. Because we voted leave, it will give others more confidence and make them more likely to leave, which could damage the EU. However there are lots of countries waiting to join the EU so again, it might not.

No one really knows what's going to happen. We can guess, but no one knows for sure. And there's no use getting upset over something you can't change. We might be a bit shaky at first, but nothing that awful is going to happen.

I can say with a short summary:

Short-term: It sucks

Long-term: It'll be better.

Why? Smaller communities are easier to manage than 1 big bureaucratic one...

What works best for the UK is what the people IN the UK want, not somewhere 1000's of miles away...

And I agree with in the end, no one can see the future... :)

Blaiddmelyn

I think it was a stupid move and people are going to suffer so that Boris Johnson can bave power. I'm usually quite positive about my job because i like the protections there are in the law for employees. Protections from the EU. Which the UK opposed. I'm not sure how positive i'll be wheb the UK decides to get rid of them.

I'm devestated, this will affect so many young people so negatively. The future has just become very dark.

I'm getting out while I can and moving to Scotland as soon as possible, and when they leave the UK I will be in there with them. I no longer want to be part of this country, it's in serious trouble.

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm scared :(

I never expected that - it was the result I hoped for but never thought would happen. I'm old enough to have experienced life outside the EU and know we can survive. Nothing much will change immediately; Article 50 will not be triggered for a good few months (now that Cameron has quit and has said he wont do it) after that it will take around two years for negotiations.

The EU is not averse to changing its own rules when it suits them, but as things stand at the moment, I don't think Scotland could simply stay in. After all, it was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom who signed to go in - and Scotland and NI were part of the United Kingdom. If Scotland and NI vote to leave the UK, then they have two hurdles to overcome before becoming members of the EU

1. They will have to be recognised as countries in their own right and I think that has to be done through the UN

2. The EU has a number of criteria countries have to meet in order to be allowed to join. Scotland has oil reserves and would most likely be greeted with open arms but NI could struggle - and it takes time, what currency would Scotland use in the mean time? THey cannot use Sterling but if they are not part of the EU, then they couldn't use the Euro either.

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/policy/steps-towards-joining/index_en.htm

Perfectly Pointless
We also have an extra £350 million per week

No. https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

But in general my reaction is 'aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.'

Trump congratulated us on leaving the EU. That's all you need to know really.

Ok, but £250 million per week is still a lot of money, I feel like we're fishing for faults here.

You're going to be ashamed of what the UK voted just because Donald Trump thinks it's good? That man isn't even from the UK. He shouldn't even be there, and he can bloody well get out and stay out.

I will not be made to feel guilty just because I believe leaving will not harm the country in any significant ways, and he also happens to think it is good. No way.

We also have an extra £350 million per week that we save by not being in the EU that we can spend on public services like the NHS.

No.

Some of that is the rebate, about £100 million a week, that never actually leaves these shores. Think of it as a discount rather than 'money we get back'. Now, I don't know what the government spends this money on, but you can bet you're bottom dollar they don't stash it at the back of their collective sock drawer for a rainy day. That rebate will be effectively gone, subsumed into other government spending.

Granted, the rest of the money will be free for use, but as some of it returns to the UK as grants from the EU to stuff like farming, scientific research etc, if it's all going to be spent on the NHS then these other areas will have to fold or find other areas of funding. Alternatively, these areas retain their funding from the UK government and the NHS doesn't get as much (personally I don't think it will get anywhere near this figure).

I never expected that - it was the result I hoped for but never thought would happen. I'm old enough to have experienced life outside the EU and know we can survive. Nothing much will change immediately; Article 50 will not be triggered for a good few months (now that Cameron has quit and has said he wont do it) after that it will take around two years for negotiations.

The EU is not averse to changing its own rules when it suits them, but as things stand at the moment, I don't think Scotland could simply stay in. After all, it was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom who signed to go in - and Scotland and NI were part of the United Kingdom. If Scotland and NI vote to leave the UK, then they have two hurdles to overcome before becoming members of the EU

1. They will have to be recognised as countries in their own right and I think that has to be done through the UN

2. The EU has a number of criteria countries have to meet in order to be allowed to join. Scotland has oil reserves and would most likely be greeted with open arms but NI could struggle - and it takes time, what currency would Scotland use in the mean time? THey cannot use Sterling but if they are not part of the EU, then they couldn't use the Euro either.

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/policy/steps-towards-joining/index_en.htm

Their own currency? :p And of course they can use Euro if they want to be involved EU.. Or if they get independent perhaps Shetland and Orkney would finally get some recognition (the great hypocrisy of the SNP) and they have their own refferendum :D But Oil were the fuel to the Scotts independence movement, so of course they want give them up to some islands.

Now I hope the leave side will do the solution we did as they said they would :D More immigrants (Norway and Switzerland take in more than UK and EU) and follow more EU laws and pay more money to EU :D

Really UK had the best deal in EU. Will be interesting to see what they will get now, hopefully a better deal than we have.

Their own currency? :P And of course they can use Euro if they want to be involved EU..

Now I hope the leave side will do the solution we did as they said they would :D More immigrants (Norway and Switzerland take in more than UK and EU) and follow more EU laws and pay more money to EU :D

Really UK had the best deal in EU. Will be interesting to see what they will get now, hopefully a better deal than we have.

I agree, we had a fantastic deal really; still do technically. IF we leave, and then decide to go back 20 years or so down the line, we certainly won't get the same deal we have right now.

Yes. Just don't end up like us. The country in Europe that follow the most EU laws and directives, meanwhile got no say in EU whatsoever.

Then you will go from having gold to feces :D Many of the reasons why UK got so good deals is that EU saw them as the sick man of Europe. We will see if they will be as kind now ;)

I'm devestated, this will affect so many young people so negatively. The future has just become very dark.

I'm getting out while I can and moving to Scotland as soon as possible, and when they leave the UK I will be in there with them. I no longer want to be part of this country, it's in serious trouble.

Scotland? I'm moving to frigging Canada, I don't want to be anywhere near the UK right now, I've had a few EU friends offer me a bed so I might take them up on that offer though.

Effectively the 1.7 million people voting leave have crippled this country, to trade with the EU you have to have an open border policy, so we will end up either A. Not trading with the EU = Bad, or B, being in exactly the same situation we are now with none of the benefits. On top of that we have lost alot of the money that goes into research budgets here. Whoever thought we would be better off out need to be locked up, effectively this is legal terrorism.

I will say one thing, we are fighters, we will recover in 20-40 years, but in the short term it will hurt, alot.

I think I'm just gonna move back home to Italy before I get kicked out.

Telecaster68
the 1.7 million people voting leave

17 million.

Ok, but £250 million per week is still a lot of money, I feel like we're fishing for faults here.

A lot of that £250m then comes back to us in the form of grants and subsidies. From memory, the actual net contribution is more like £170m, but I'm sure that's on the same fact checking site I linked to as well.

You're going to be ashamed of what the UK voted just because Donald Trump thinks it's good?

Who mentioned shame? It was partly facetious, but since neither side could really know what would happen, I've based part of my judgement on the people on each side. In general, if I tend to agree with them on other things, then I'll give them a bit more credence in their referendum opinion. And it works the other way too. Trump is a nasty piece of work who, amongst other things, wants to ban Muslims entering the US and build a wall between the US and Mexico. He's a posturing blowhard isolationist, and his support for Brexit bolsters my opposition to it.

I will not be made to feel guilty just because I believe leaving will not harm the country in any significant ways, and he also happens to think it is good. No way.

I had absolutely no regard for your feelings in formulating my opinions. Why would I?

Given you had no idea about £350m, which has been widely discredited, including by many of the more respectable 'leave' campaigners, it doesn't actually sound like your decision is based on much in the way of actual information.

Can someone explain all this in layman's terms? What's the EU and what's the benefits/downfalls of belonging? What do they do? What are the benefits/downfalls of leaving? Some fairly non-biased answers would be nice, though I can see it's an emotional subject for those who live there.

In very short terms: Free trade zone, second largest economy. Bad example, but as you will get it somehow: it would be like if all 50 states in USA were independent, but had a common market, and New York decided to leave the US and have the same relations to the rest of the states like Canada or Mexico have.

At the same time it have moved more and more to become a state. Hopefully this will mean EU will just become the free trade zone it were intended to be.

Scotland? I'm moving to frigging Canada, I don't want to be anywhere near the UK right now, I've had a few EU friends offer me a bed so I might take them up on that offer though.

Good luck finding decent employment in Canada. It's not exactly in the greatest economic situation.

Seems a bit inconsistent to want to move to a non-EU country because Britain decided to become a non-EU country.

It'll help the EU because the other countries will see what would happen if they would leave the EU.

Regardless of which way I voted. It feels bad that the fate of my country is being decided by a 4% majority. Nearly half of the British public disagreed with this, therefore Britain didn't decide this. I'm hoping the Lords take this into account and offer a re-vote later. Maybe try to negotiate with the EU rather than leave it.

Scotland would have to satisfy certain criteria http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/euro/adoption/index_en.htm

Replacing a national currency with the euro is a major operation that demands many practical preparations, for instance ensuring that the national currency is withdrawn quickly, that prices of goods are properly converted and displayed, and that people are kept well informed. All these preparations rely on the particular ‘changeover scenario’ that a euro-area candidate country adopts. Significant experience was gained when the euro was first launched, which benefits euro-area candidate countries today. The European Commission, in particular, offers much help and advice to euro-area candidate countries.

The implication is that there should be a 'national currency' in order for it to be replaced with the Euro - Scotland would also automatically be part of the Exchange Rate Mechanism as only the UK and Denmark have an 'opt out' clause.

Parmenides - supposing we make it work? It isn't as though things are going to change overnight - the idea of the two year exit is to enable all sides to negotiate an exit strategy. The UK import far more from the EU than we export, so will the EU want to cut itself off completely from that market? It isn't going to be easy and the UK will be in for some 'interesting times'

If the result had been for 'stay' would it have mattered about the percentage in favour? No, those voting 'Leave' would have been told that the majority have it.

Telecaster68

Oh, and also Prime Minister David Cameron has resigned because he was leading the 'remain' campaign.

And Scotland is almost certainly going to have its own referendum (another one) on leaving the UK so it can stay in the EU, at some point.

Lia - one of the issues is that almost any information on the subject is controversial. As it happens, I teach some sessions on the EU at uni, so I know a bit more than most, though not that much. Both sides have used the usual combination of half truths and exaggerations in their campaign, but 'leave' has been worse.

Here's a quick and dirty guide though, from a non-partisan site: https://fullfact.org/europe/what-is-the-eu/

True, Cameron has resigned and expects there to be a successor in place by October. Nicola Sturgeon (Scotland's First Minister) has said there will be a referendum on Scottish Independence (the second in two years) after she's spoken to other EU leaders to see what her options are.

Telecaster68

A friend of mine is a moderately big-shot corporate lawyer, and the other night was predicting that if 'leave' won, the pound would crash, shares would be hit, Cameron would go straight away, and Scotland would start talking about independence.

I thought he was being a bit apocalyptic at the time.

And apparently there might be a Labour leadership contest as well.

Archived