ACE in Korea Queer Culture Festival (KQCF)

naver.asexual

naver.asexual
Hello, this is A-LOG Team member, K.

On June 11th, 2016, A-LOG team, a South Korean Asexual organization, participated in the Korea Queer Culture Festival (KQCF) which is the most popular annual sexual minority event in South Korea. A-LOG team has conducted a project with the only Asexual Community in South Korea, 'A community, 승냥이 카페'. This is the first time the asexuals officially participated in South Korea Queer Festival.

About 4 months, A-LOG team had been preparing for participants of the festival. We made a book of literatures that were written by the members of ‘승냥이 카페’ regarding what asexuality is and how it is like to live as an asexual, as well as other materials that allude to asexuality. These production of the book and materials were proceeded through Tumble-buck funding project. In addition to this, we made pamphlet and panel so that people can get to know more about asexuality. These were amongst the many accomplishments that we were able to achieve. All of these projects were pursued based on asexual information and discourses about asexuality that A-LOG team had built up over the past 2 years.

The reaction towards the activity of the A-LOG team was very positive. Hundreds of books were sold, and materials that we prepared were all sold out. Moreover, thousands of people participated in our booth event. There were a lot of posts posted on Facebook and Twitter regarding our activity. Major broadcasting medias in South Korea reported it as well. Moreover, we met several foreign asexuals who visited the Queer Festival. They were surprised and excited to see us. We greeted them and bonded with them genuinely.

This is a very meaningful day to South Korean asexuals, because it is the day that the asexuals systemically informed about their existence and lives to the queer society and South Korea. The Asexual pride flag hung at the Queer Festival represented the pride of the asexual. A-LOG team and ‘승냥이 카페’ plan to do more to spread the asexual pride in South Korea. A-LOG team would like to have asexuals from all around the world to join us and support our activities.

A-LOG BLOG: http://asexual.xyz

pictures here ☞ LINK

when I clicked on the "pictures here link" I got this: 비공개 포스트 입니다. My korean is really bad but I think that the post is private?

While I admire your work and want to congratulate you I would also like to ask if you have more content in english?

I spent 10 months in 부산 and really wonder how asexuality is perceived in korean society, because I remember from my own experiences at a 여자고등학교 that my classmates were not open to discussing lgbt-topics and 모태 솔로 had a bad connotation.

감사합니다.

• 2 weeks later...

when I clicked on the "pictures here link" I got this: 비공개 포스트 입니다. My korean is really bad but I think that the post is private?

While I admire your work and want to congratulate you I would also like to ask if you have more content in english?

I spent 10 months in 부산 and really wonder how asexuality is perceived in korean society, because I remember from my own experiences at a 여자고등학교 that my classmates were not open to discussing lgbt-topics and 모태 솔로 had a bad connotation.

감사합니다.

Hello, Leolith!

I'm AROddish, one of the A-LOG Team members. :)

'비공개 포스트' means private post in Korean. We may have made a mistake when posting this on our blog. But the link is now available to everyone. You can access to it now! XD

Unfortunately, A-LOG Team has less contents in English, since the team is not very old and its primary goal is to improve visibility of asexuality in Republic of Korea.

However, A-LOG Team will put more efforts on communication with the other parts of the world!

Response to the question on perception of asexuality in ROK:

From my personal experience, asexuality is not well-known in ROK - even the word 무성애자(asexual) itself is not familiar among Koreans.

Whenever I come out as being asexual, the most common response I get is "Asexual? What is that? Does it mean that you don't fall in love with anyone?"... :(

Open discussions about LGBT issues started recently, only in some relatively progressive media. It is unusual to talk about lgbt-related topics in ordinary communities, except for some unpleasant jokes about gay. Most people think that queer/sexual minority is equal to homosexuals. Concepts of bi or trans are unfamiliar, as well as ace.

Some journals and newspapers have published articles about asexuality after A-LOG Team's participation in KQCF mentioned above. Though, we still have a very long way to go. Most Korean people are still not aware of asexuality, and most of people who have heard about asexuality thinks that being asexual is the same as having no sexual desire or love. Some media, including ELLE Korea, Pikicast, and The Herald Business, have published articles that delivers false information regarding asexuality. A-LOG Team is striving to change these problems.

If you want, feel free to ask me anything you are curious on finding out more about asexuality in ROK. I will answer you as accurately as I can!

Thank you :D

감사합니다! ^_^

Archived