Announcement of AVEN's incorporation

michaeld

Sage Raven Domino

I meant unconditional arolove akaNMAxYQY.png!

• 1 month later...
Perissodactyla

Many of us have been waiting patiently for someone to implement a simple DONATE button to the AVEN website.

Many of us have enthusiastically made donations via paypal to helping AVEN improve it's efforts supporting the community.

Since no DONATE button has been implemented yet, I decided to force the issue and BECOME A BUTTON! LOL!

Please see my profile page to learn how to DONATE quickly and easily to AVEN!

:D

<3

LOL!

"This is oval and I approve this message."

Much discussion has been raised recently about AVEN's legal status, and how this affects both the outage issues we have been experiencing and efforts to fundraise both for a better technical platform and for visibility endeavours.

First we would like to announce that AVEN is now incorporated as a not-for-profit NGO through the state of New York, USA. The current members of the Board of Directors are AVENguy (founder of AVEN and tech admin), Coleslaw (tech admin), michaeld (Project Team), Kelly (admin) and ithaca (AVEN archivist and former moderator and admin).

The role of the board of directors is to provide a framework for the teams - the Admod Team, the Project Team and the Declassfication Team - to run the boards. The board is responsible for the AVEN bank account and legal entity. The board legally owns the site, though delegates decision making on the day to day running of the site to the above teams. Barring unusual circumstances - for example if legal issues arise - the board will not interfere with this decision making progress. Board members can offer to mediate disputes that might arise within the teams should that occur. Finally the board are responsible for the technical maintenance of the site, either directly - for example two members are also tech admins - or by delegation.

We need to make it clear that our incorporation is a work in progress. AVEN is currently incorporated as a small-budget 501c3 organization with the US Internal Revenue Service, which means that all donations are exempt from taxes by the US government. If the amount of money that we raise increases much (above $5000 annually) we will need to start the complex process of applying for tax exempt status more formally. The board would love help from any lawyers familiar with this process, but it's not urgent.

There are two main reasons for fundraising. One is to improve the technical stability of the site. Another is for visibility and education projects. At present the former is our priority. Our plan is to move to a new cloud based server in the next year, which will be better able to handle the weight of traffic we experience. We will be giving more detail about the funds we need to raise to make this happen. At present our donation page on paypal is here.

We will also be adding extra tech positions to our team in the near future. Coleslaw, current tech admin, will be making a thread detailing the various roles available, and how to apply for them.

Thank you for reading!

Michael

PS. I would like to apologise for the time it has taken to post this announcement, since we received questions relating to it; I take responsibility for this.

Oval, you might want to sign your posts with your previous screen name, as not everybody knows how to (or will bother to) check your profile for display name history. :)

Perissodactyla

Oval, you might want to sign your posts with your previous screen name, as not everybody knows how to (or will bother to) check your profile for display name history. :)

Okay, good idea!

Okay, good idea!

That's much better, the all-caps name was giving off a 'YES I AM OVAL YOU WANT FREE PASSPORTS?' image~

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's input. We haven't been ignoring you - speaking for myself I'm having a hectic time at work recently. Oval, thanks: I will be contacting you individually in the next week or so. (If I don't, feel free to kick me! :P) Ditto others with points/questions.

Is it any places where it say future projects and how much is needed? Would be helpful for donaters :)

• 3 weeks later...

The role of the board of directors is to provide a framework for the teams - the Admod Team, the Project Team and the Declassfication Team - to run the boards.

This... honestly does not happen... The teams are self-governed, and the BoD tries to avoid not getting too involved in staff drama.

• 1 month later...

May we ask how the fundraising campaign is going? How close to your goal are you right now? It being ace awareness week, I was thinking of what useful things I can do, and fundraising is one of them; does AVEN still need it?

Archived