Looking for interviewees for feature: 'What it's like to come out as asexual'

meganc55

My name is Megan and I'm a freelance journalist writing about asexuality. I found Aven after seeing The i's post and wondered whether I might be able to interview someone about how it feels to come out as asexual. I feel this issue needs more visibility so I was hoping to write a first person piece based on an interview, which I would then pitch to several magazines. If anyone would like to share their experiences with, get in touch. It could be a phone interview or in person (preferably in London if so).

I haven't come out to many people because sometimes they freak out at the idea of people being "A," but you can talk to me if you want. I'm not in London, though.

sinisterporpoise

I know AVEN is all about visibility, and this is starting to get away from the asexuals exist stories.

Well, I shouldn't be so negative.

Good luck on your project. I don't think I ever really needed to come out as asexual. I usually have to explain to people why it's not the same thing as being gay.

Hi Megan,

Without wishing to seem rude or negative, what credentials/published pieces do you already have?

Anyone can "market" themselves as a freelance anything.

If I was going to spend my time talking about something highly personal, I'd want to know there was a very good chance of it being published. I hope you understand :)

Of course, I completely understand. I'm currently working at Time Out London and have freelanced for The Guardian, The Observer Magazine, The Daily Mail and The Hackney Citizen. Below is some of my recent work:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3558353/How-Klara-gave-birth-without-realising-pregnant-s-far-common-think-not-just-naive-teens.html

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/dec/27/instayoga-the-new-incarnation-of-yoga

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/02/paul-mkenna-this-much-i-know

http://hackneycitizen.co.uk/2014/10/09/local-campaigner-honoured-shirley-murgraff-hackney-cvs/

I am writing the piece on spec so I can freelance to one of the above publications or similar.

Many thanks,

Megan

Thank you. You write very well. I had no idea that cryptic pregnancies were a more common thing!

I'm really not sure I'm the best person to talk to, but I do hope you find someone.

AFAIK cryptic pregnancies are more common than triplets. Pretty creepy. I wonder how many people place the baby for adoption (do you happen to know something about that, Megan?). I just can't imagine that someone gives birth unexpectedly and says "oh, whatever, I am going to go on a maternity leave now".

About the original question... I am not even sure if I am asexual or not, so I can't be really helpful. I've just told some people who were interested (either guys who wanted to date or "date" or female friends with some genuine interest in partner-free life) that I am not much interested in these things. The guys think it will be different with them, AFAIK every guy thinks he is the special snowflake when it comes to having sex :)

You want your article to be "I came out as asexual" in sense of really making it generally known information, like when you do something that is visible (e.g. being in a same-sex relationship)? Or just about reactions of specific subgroups, like possible romantic partners or "anybody who asked"? And do you have some preference for romantic / aromantic? Because "I want to have otherwise mainstream relationship, but I am asexual" will make quite different story from "I am aromantic and also asexual, and my only problem are peers who keep playing matchmakers and trying to be helpful".

(example for the second one: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/04/asexual-aromantic-happy/ - IMO totally different topic from someone who is asexual and wants to get married and have babies)

GothicPixi

I'd love to talk to you, but it would have to be over the phone. However, I am only 16, so there could always be the critics view of a "tumblr orientation" or a teenage phase. I came out to my family and classmates by posting a video on Facebook.

khathleesi
Hey Megan. Tried to send you a PM, couldn't quite get it to go through.

I'm fully out and have come out several times with varying results (I, like many asexuals, had to RE-come out because I previously thought I was bisexual, which made everything so much harder) so if you still need people to interview let me know.

It would have to be a phone interview (or skype) because I'm American, but let me know!

I'd love to talk to you, but it would have to be over the phone. However, I am only 16, so there could always be the critics view of a "tumblr orientation" or a teenage phase. I came out to my family and classmates by posting a video on Facebook.

Hi there, I'd love to speak with you - thanks for replying. Just checking, are you living in the UK? If so, perhaps we could chat on the phone today or tomorrow? Let me know by email, which is megan_c_brown@hotmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ava Lorein

I am willing to be interviewed to help you. :) My email is avalorein@gmail.com, please contact me through there and I will give you my number.

Archived