Golden Oldies out there...what books are you reading right now?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

On 4.1.2018 at 10:36 PM, imnotafreakofnature! said:

Up until late April or early May, I was actually on track to read fifty books last year (and then I could have posted that in another thread on the site! :D). Then last spring I visited the Yiddish Book Center in MA and got sidetracked by an interest in Yiddish. So I've been learning that the last several months (starting with transliterated things and now finally moving into learning the Yiddish alphabet) and have seriously slowed down on the reading. I'm not sure I even read twenty books last year! :o

You're learning Yiddish, how cool is that?

Do you already have a favourite Yiddish writer?

imnotafreakofnature!
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, kiaroskuro said:

You're learning Yiddish, how cool is that?

Do you already have a favourite Yiddish writer?

No, not yet. I'm really just getting started - learning basic vocabulary and grammar, and now trying to learn the alphabet.

Coily the Spring Sprite

I've been reading a lot of pulp fiction stories from the 30s and 40s. I'm finding them to be quite entertaining. I'm also going through the HP Lovecraft stories. 

Engel's England - Thirty-Nine Counties, One Capital and One Man - by Matthew Engel

He's a cheeky one. :P

1 hour ago, Tja said:

Engel's England - Thirty-Nine Counties, One Capital and One Man - by Matthew Engel

He's a cheeky one. :P

Just looked that up, and it seems interesting.  The idea that the English have lost their identity since the loss of historic boundaries in 1972 is a new one on me.  My county wasn't affected really.  A few areas near London became fully London, but they were in all but name anyway.  It has seemed that as power was devolved Wales and Scotland were allowed an identity that England was denied, with Welsh and Scottish MPs able to vote at Westminster on English affairs, but English MPs denied a vote on devolved Welsh and Scottish affairs.  I will have to read the book. :)

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes @Mz Terry, as a Scot, I noticed the gradual loss of identity in England. I think it's sad, because there's such varied cultures from shire to shire, they should all be celebrated. One of my first great memories of coming to live in England was when the train crossed the border from Scotland and there was a village green with a cricket match in full swing. It warms the heart as it's cosy, comfortable stuff. I don't think Scots and Welsh people need to vote on English matters. as they both have local issues of their own to decide on. Neither should London decide for little communities with different challenges.Sounds like a great book. It's on the list (if I ever get past Homo Deus)...not been able to read as much as I want these days:mellow:

I'm still reading the 'Uncle' books by JP Martin.
I first read them when I was a child and was curious to see if they were still readable.
They are the story of Uncle - an elephant who lives in a castle called Homeward.
He battles his enemies at Badfort, especially Beaver Hateman, and the dastardly Hitmouse.
They are a lovely fantasy - great escapism.
Other books from my childhood I've been interested to reread are 'The Wombles' by Elizabeth Berisford.

Always looking for answers

How many of you use Goodreads or a different website like that? 

3 hours ago, Always looking for answers said:

How many of you use Goodreads or a different website like that? 

I use Goodreads, but just to track my reading, not for any social networking or public reviews or lists or anything.

I am currently reading Everything All at Once by Bill Nye. Nearly finished. (it amuses me to be reading books where if you just tell someone "I'm reading title" it sounds funny if they don't know that's a book title - like when I read Pure Drivel by Steve Martin - "what are you reading?" "pure drivel") :lol:

"Fire and Fury, inside the White House" by Michael Wolff, and somewhat to my surprise I'd recommend it to anyone, it's interesting reading 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

That's on my list @Skycaptain, it sounds a great read. we live in 'interesting times'!

Half way through 'The Cat of Yule Cottage' and it's surprisingly good (although a bit Poldark in places). 

• 3 weeks later...
imnotafreakofnature!

For anyone who might be interested, I found some cute tee's on Amazon. :lol:

Not Addicted to Reading Can Stop Finish this Book Ladies T-Shirt Large Light Blue  

imnotafreakofnature!

Mens ABIBLIOPHOBIA Reading Book Lover T-Shirt Large Black   Mens Book Hangover Definition Book Worm Reading Lover T-Shirt Large Navy

imnotafreakofnature!

Mens If You Can Read This Book Lovers Novel Reading Funny T shirt Large Black Men's A day without reading is like.. funny bookworm T-shirt Large Baby Blue Mens Things I Like Almost As Much As Reading & Bacon T Shirt Large Black

imnotafreakofnature!

My Weekend Is All Booked | Funny Cute Book Reader Reading Women's V-Neck T-Shirt-(Vneck,XL)

imnotafreakofnature!

Sorry for so many posts - for reasons I don't understand, it wouldn't let me put all of them in one! :blink:

2 hours ago, imnotafreakofnature! said:

Sorry for so many posts - for reasons I don't understand, it wouldn't let me put all of them in one! :blink:

There might be a limit to the number of pictures allowed in one post (although it seems to me I've seen several pics in a single post on some threads). In any case, those t-shirts are funny (because they're true). I got a good laugh out of them, and can relate. :D 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Brilliant T shirt photos @imnotafreakofnature!, raised a smile on every post:D.

Finished with 'Flowers for Algernon' now, it was very thought provoking and ultimately sad, but now I'm a couple of chapters into 'Orange is the new black'. My daughter gave me this, it's not something I'd pick for myself and I didn't watch it on TV, but I'm sticking with it for now.

I also have the McMafia book and 'Age of Anger' by Pankash Mishra, which examines the rising aggression levels in western society.

TheLastOfSheila
20 hours ago, imnotafreakofnature! said:

Mens Things I Like Almost As Much As Reading & Bacon T Shirt Large Black

This one is definitely me. ^_^

I'm finally on the last book in the GOT series.  Not sure what I'll jump into next, but I'll find something :D

imnotafreakofnature!

Finished The Blue Tent Sky by Brian Aitken, now reading Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.

Since I'm "reading" photography at university most of the books I'm reading are mostly just photographs.

Currently re-reading Henri Cartier-Bressons, Europeans. Also Marjolaine Ryley - The Thin Blue Line, The Deep Red Sea. 

I am reading Parades End by Ford Madox Ford a historical novel about how people saw the world around the time of WW1. I also did some reading in association with some language studies ,today, but I don't know that that is what meant here by reading. I mean do you really want to know that I read some about how to negate imperative verbs in Hebrew and about different kinds of aorist verbs in Greek?  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Andrew001, there are three photography books I'd love to see...the 'remembering' series. So far there are three in the set. Remembering Elephants, Great Apes and Rhinos. The photos of the great apes are particularly beautiful. That iconic National Geographic book of the variety of peoples is another.

Right now, I'm almost finished 'Orange is the new Black', which is ok, but next I have 'The age of anger' by Pankash Mishtra then 'McMafia'....the third one will be exciting...Lonely Planet guide to Iceland!

Hello everyone. I've only just joined, and I was immediately drawn to this thread. The reason is partly that I had my first book published just four days ago, and if I explain the influence of asexuality in its writing, perhaps you will forgive me for my self-promotion. I hope so. The book is Badge of Loyalty, under the pen name Jude Tresswell.

I identify as female, but I have no desire at all to read about other females who are involved in a sexual or romantic relationship - neither same sex nor hetero. I'm left completely cold. I can't go there. Perhaps because there is no 'me' in them, I find I can read about gay men, and, as I find it easy to fantasise, I wrote Badge of Loyalty. I must be greedy - it's about four gay men in a polyamorous relationship. As I was writing it, I kept asking myself how it was I could imagine the content, and I realised that the reason is linked to asexuality. 'I' am not in the book. It had never occurred to me that asexuality was my orientation. Now, I know it is.

If you'd like to read a story with a crime background, set in England, which contains affection, but little erotica, and which, to some extent, explores the nature of polyamory, do please check out e.g. Goodreads or the usual distributors (paperback and all ebook formulae)  - and please excuse me for recommending my own book. 

Incidentally, I am definitely an oldie. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome @Tunhope, good to have a writer here as well as readers. Also, loads of information that will help you settle into who you are. Also there are loads of other good reads around the Ace community! Dip in and enjoy! :D:cake:

Archived