Golden Oldies out there...what books are you reading right now?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome, @Tom McFerran! :cake::cake::cake: Just noticed that was your first post! Hope you like it here. I have not yet seen that movie or read the book, but I intend to.

15 hours ago, Spiritus55 said:

I loved that series. Read the books and have all the movies. I'm so sad the author died...no more books:mellow:

My son loved that series and has recommended I try them (he's already bought them on Kindle so are sitting there waiting for me)

Welcome to AVEN @Tom McFerran - especially the Oldies forum. Hope you'll feel at home here; have some welcome :cake::cake::cake::D

imnotafreakofnature!

I was saddened to hear about the author's death, too. He died of a heart attack shortly after dropping off the first three manuscripts at the publishers - the elevator in his building wasn't working, so he climbed several sets of stairs :( - so he never even knew what a success his books were. I wanted to read them before seeing the movies. I'm delighted to find out someone's taken over writing the rest of the series.

It took me a little longer to read than just overnight (three days), but unfortunately, I don't have the third one yet. :( I can't wait to get it, though. Don't give me any spoilers, but I can't wait to see how Lisbeth recovers and gets back at all the people who wronged her and her friends in the second one!

sparklingstars

I also loved this series.  I read the fourth book when it first came out, but it wasn't nearly as good as Larsson's books (in my opinion).

I'm currently reading Asleep, by Molly Caldwell Crosby, a non-fiction book about the encephalitis lethargica epidemic of the 1920's ; and The Lake House, a fiction book by Kate Morton.

imnotafreakofnature!
38 minutes ago, sparklingstars said:

I also loved this series.  I read the fourth book when it first came out, but it wasn't nearly as good as Larsson's books (in my opinion).

I'm currently reading Asleep, by Molly Caldwell Crosby, a non-fiction book about the encephalitis lethargica epidemic of the 1920's ; and The Lake House, a fiction book by Kate Morton.

I saw the movie The Lake House but wasn't impressed. Let me know if the book is any better.

sparklingstars
On 1/4/2017 at 8:33 AM, imnotafreakofnature! said:

I saw the movie The Lake House but wasn't impressed. Let me know if the book is any better.

It's actually a completely different story - the two aren't related at all, they just happen to have the same name.  Kate Morton is one of my favorite authors ; you should give her a try!

I just started reading Wildwood by Colin Meloy - it was recommended to my by someone I used to work with. It's fantasy that starts out in Portland, OR.

straightouttamordor

Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury. I saw the movie when I was a tween. Made in 1969,  had Julie Christie from Dr. Zhiavago fame playing two roles. Both the wife and the mistress of the main character. The book is slightly different. Even character names are changed and  a little more descriptive.

imnotafreakofnature!

Started reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - I love his stuff! It's been a crazy-busy week at work, though, so I haven't had much reading time. Hoping to make up for that this weekend! :)

I'm almost done with Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon (2002) which is a pretty good cyberpunk thriller (and soon to be a Netflix series). After that, I'm going to really switch gears and start A Silent Voice (English title), a manga series by Yoshitoki Oima. Most of my reading of late has been library books, the Toronto Public Library system is phenomenal.

I keep a spreadsheet that lists all the books I've read. Since I started it in early 1999, I've managed to get through over 1100. That's a lot of words!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

OOH Such a long time since I've been here? What's wrong with me!

Ray Bradbury was a visionary @prib23....some of what he wrote has since come to pass...I'm thinking of 'a sound of Thunder' here!

Since the last visit, I have read the Metro trilogy by Dmitry Glukhovsky and the next one is going to be one of his as well, the one that's similar to Logan's Run (I can't remember its name, my daughter is giving it to me when she finishes it).

Probably before I read it though, my next borrow from the library will be the lonely planet New York .....

straightouttamordor
1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

OOH Such a long time since I've been here? What's wrong with me!

Ray Bradbury was a visionary @prib23....some of what he wrote has since come to pass...I'm thinking of 'a sound of Thunder' here!

Since the last visit, I have read the Metro trilogy by Dmitry Glukhovsky and the next one is going to be one of his as well, the one that's similar to Logan's Run (I can't remember its name, my daughter is giving it to me when she finishes it).

Glad to find a fellow Bradbury fan !  I liked the story of Logan's Run although the movie was kinda cheesey. I love dystopian books and movies. At 50 I'm actually watching some of the stuff of fiction become reality sadly. Not familiar with Glukhovsky. But it sounds interesting, I will put it in the search engine. My curiosity is piqued now.

I remember watching and liking the "Logan's Run" TV series and was disappointed when it went off the air. I saw the movie version years later, but didn't care for that as much.

imnotafreakofnature!
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 0:30 AM, asfi said:

I keep a spreadsheet that lists all the books I've read. Since I started it in early 1999, I've managed to get through over 1100. That's a lot of words!

I think keeping a spreadsheet is a great idea! I don't know why I've never thought of it. (Just a dizbrain, I guess! lol) So I started one for this year. We'll see how I do.

It's good to see you back, chandrakirti! :D

I use the website, GoodReads, to keep track of my reading these days (started it a couple of years ago).:) 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

GoodReads sounds interesting @daveb, I took a book of Burns poetry to work the other day and read bits of it in my breaks, it was Burns' night last Wednesday. I forgot how deeply profound he was, I'm thinking of 'To a mouse' and 'A man's a man for all that' (I've anglicised these titles ).

Right now, before daughter gives me the next cast off book, I kept my taste for the profound going by re - reading 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius, written in AD120 or thereabouts, it's so amazingly relevant even today. Maybe I'm becoming a stoic as I get (even)older!

I have just started re-reading my Tolkien and Robin Hobb books.  They are old favourites :)   The scarier the world gets, the more I seem to be reading science-fantasy...

14 hours ago, Blackthorn said:

I have just started re-reading my Tolkien and Robin Hobb books.  They are old favourites :)   The scarier the world gets, the more I seem to be reading science-fantasy...

You might enjoy Jim C Hines' Magic ex Libris series:

Synopses of the first two books in the 4-volume series

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Having devoured the New York travel guide, I moved on to 'The Loney' by Andrew Michael Hurley. It had an atmosphere a bit like a Stephen King book, it just built up to  the horror in the last chapter, then just left me , as a reader, dumped with all this 'yuk'! 

Just found "The Handmaid's Tale" on my bookshelf, but since I last read it about 20 years ago I have only a bare recollection of the story. 

I loved The Handmaid's tale when I read it.  It was written by Margaret Atwood, a briliant Canadian writer.  It looks to a future dystopia which is not very pleasant for the handmaids...

There is a shadowy powerful Govt in control and young women are used as brood mares for the elite.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Geez, a sci fi dystopia...right up my street...:D

Been reading 'Dear Amy' by Helen Callaghan. It's set locally, just outside Cambridge, and it's about a girl who disappeared some years before,who suddenly appears to be writing letters asking for help from the local agony aunt.

• 3 weeks later...

Aunts aren't Gentlemen. The last (and quite possibly the poorest) of PG Wodehouse's novels. He was over 90 when he wrote it, to be fair. And 'poorest by his standards' doesn't mean it's bad. He was/is unparalleled in his genre.

I have read a fair bit of Wodehouse, but not that one. I liked what I have read so far; mostly Jeeves/Wooster stories, Blandings stories, and a few other odds and ends (like some Psmith stories). I loved the Hugh Laurie and Stephen Frye Jeeves & Wooster tv series. And there was British-made version of some of the Blandings stories that I enjoyed (when I could find them on youtube).

I'm currently reading Saint Overboard, another Simon Templar book by Leslie Charteris. I got the whole set of books (40+) and have been working my way through them here and there between other books.

• 2 weeks later...
imnotafreakofnature!

FINALLY!!!!! I finally got The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest!! :lol: In the meantime, Tony Hillerman's been keeping me entertained (I'm on my fifth in a row of his books, although not in order), as have Agatha Christie and P.G. Wodehouse. Looking forward to catching up with Lisbeth Salander again.

Archived