Organ Donation

Jeena

2 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an Organ Donor?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am not, but I would like to be
    • I am, but I would not like to be

I am not, but I feel like half my organs are useless so I don't know if they'd let me be one.

I am - because I know that if I or one of my family was terminally ill and had the opportunity to receive an organ I'd want to take it. As far as afterlife is concerned, if something good can come from my death then any higher power that's a force for good will understand why they have to wait for the complete set of me...

Im a donor, hoping that my body parts will possess the unfortunate victim that receives my body part via cellular memory. buahahahha

I think having my organs donated would be better than them being of no use to anyone.

"If it isn't broken, don't fix it. If it is, then fix it. If you can't, then scrap it."

Yeah, I'm a donor.

I'm not gonna have any use for them after I go, I don't care who they go to. I'm helping somebody live.

Actually, quite a few. I once heard about a post-mortem donor giving to 40 people.

I'm a registered donor. I'd happily be a living donor for a relative/friend too. Not allowed to donate blood at present because of my hospital investigations - will get back to that when I'm allowed.

Sadly, nobody seems to be willing to offer up their organs to me so I can sell them on the black market. This makes me sad because since livers can regenerate, I could repeatedly use pieces of the same persons liver over and over. And good a good price. Maybe I need to be more forceful with my approach.

Are we splitting the profits? You know, if I offer my liver :P
SpaceDustbin

I am a donor. Signed up as soon as I could.

I don't know if it's the case in other countries as well, but in the Netherlands you can check the option to "let your family decide". I don't really know how I feel about this (especially since opinions on whether or not to be a donor are divided in my family). My mom has this ~leave it to the family to decide~ as an option, and we've had some discussions as to whether or not to just say 'yes' or 'no', and not leave it half open.

• 1 month later...

I can't. Not because I don't want to but because I'm a carrier of a virus and it's not allowed, just in case the other person gets infected too.

In any case, I'm going to donate my body for medical research because there's a lack of cadavers too. And the best part is, I don't even need to be healthy for that! (I mean, no communicable diseases but still...)

Hermit Advocate

I can't. Not because I don't want to but because I'm a carrier of a virus and it's not allowed, just in case the other person gets infected too.

In any case, I'm going to donate my body for medical research because there's a lack of cadavers too. And the best part is, I don't even need to be healthy for that! (I mean, no communicable diseases but still...)

That is a legitimate reason for not donating. I always wanted to pretend to donate my body to science and then jump up off the table and scream in the med students faces to see how many of them I could freak out.

That one episode of Angel Beats was what made me decide to be a donor.

I want to be a donor. My family knows. In Norway the family decides of the deceased person decides whether or not to donate the organs. You can register to be a donor but the family still can overrule you when you're dead. Basically when you're dead your decision when you where alive don't count. My hope is that one day the donor registry will be the reverse of what it is now. What I mean is that the people who don't want to donate register- not the people who do want it. SO that everyone is a automatically a donor if not registered. (And of course you can't take organs from someone you don't know the identity of because then you would'nt know if they were on the "I don't want to be a donor-list" The reason behind this thought is that many of us thinks we will live forever or we don't take the time to think about organ donation or we don't tell our families. It's not really important to us. It seems the people who don't want to donate because of whatever reason KNOWS. And if they don't register to not be a donor they just don't care enough and their organs should be given to someone who needs it. I think far too many people are dying because we don't know what their wishes are or the family don't know or disagree. I know a lot of people will disagree with my opinion, but I still mean it. No to a donor registry and Yes to a non-donor registry!

Grace Barton

I'm an organ donor. I spotted a leaflet in the doctor's surgery when I was in my teens and thought it would be good to be a donor so I filled in the form. I can't remember if I ticked off to donate just my organs or whether I included to have my cornea removed. At the time the thought of them doing stuff with my eyes made me feel ill, but maybe the idea that it might help someone overruled that. I don't know. XD But I always keep my card in my wallet. :)

I think my family know. I'm not really sure. I'd better check that just in case.

I remember a line in a novel being the thing about death being the end of who you want to be and you are stuck as the person you are at death and not as the person you want to be. I'm paraphrasing, the novel wording was more poetic.

Have I a point?

Yes, organ donation is one less chance at moulding yourself to being the person you want to be, you can be giving and thoughtful as one last act

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to be using them much, so people can have what they like. My body is also going off to a training hospital for some junior doctors to have a practice on.

Skycaptain

I'm a registered organ donor, but I somewhat slightly doubt that they would be received with any alacrity

I want to be a donor. My family knows. In Norway the family decides of the deceased person decides whether or not to donate the organs. You can register to be a donor but the family still can overrule you when you're dead. Basically when you're dead your decision when you where alive don't count. My hope is that one day the donor registry will be the reverse of what it is now. What I mean is that the people who don't want to donate register- not the people who do want it. SO that everyone is a automatically a donor if not registered. (And of course you can't take organs from someone you don't know the identity of because then you would'nt know if they were on the "I don't want to be a donor-list" The reason behind this thought is that many of us thinks we will live forever or we don't take the time to think about organ donation or we don't tell our families. It's not really important to us. It seems the people who don't want to donate because of whatever reason KNOWS. And if they don't register to not be a donor they just don't care enough and their organs should be given to someone who needs it. I think far too many people are dying because we don't know what their wishes are or the family don't know or disagree. I know a lot of people will disagree with my opinion, but I still mean it. No to a donor registry and Yes to a non-donor registry!

I agree and thank you, I now have a new controversial opinion. Opting out of being an organ donor should be a choice, being an organ donor should be the standard. I mean, I don't mind if people opt out, because it's their bodies and they should be able to decide what they want to do with them (and honestly the way I talk about other things related to bodily autonomy I don't see how I COULD say I cared if people opted out because it feels a bit hypocritical) but I do think the standard protocol should be everyone is a donor unless they decide against it.

Archived