Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R_1

Attention AVEN Techs

R_1

What is wrong with the server? And, what can be done about it.

K, thanks for reading, see ya later.

God of the Forest

What is wrong with the server? And, what can be done about it.

K, thanks for reading, see ya later.

I second that! Also I am certified by CompTia if my services are needed to help maintain the site lol (free of charge..anything to keep AVEN running smoothly)

Zerο

Not a techie but I'm guessing one of these stopped working:

maxresdefault.jpg

Robin L

Ehhh, nothing is wrong?

Ceebs.

I assume whatever the problem is, it's not going away anytime soon. AVEN has had server problems as long as I've been here, which is quite a long time.

oval

Sometimes I fear that some people may associate the regular instability of the AVEN site with their perception that this reflects the instability of asexuals in general.

What other major social site is this flaky?

Ceebs.

I don't think it really reflects on asexuals, but it undoubtedly gives a negative impression of AVEN itself. I really don't know what the problem is... I know that the techs work really hard when the site goes down, and I'm certainly grateful for that, as are many others, of course, but I don't get why all the problems in the first place. It can't be the fault of the IP.Board software, because I've been a member of two other forums running the same software and they hardly ever had/have problems.

Heart of Darkness

ehh I think the server is just over capacity...time to upgrade? Hard to do on a volunteer-based site, plus it means a long initial down time...

SkyWorld

I've only heard for a while now that AVEN has been due for another upgrade.

R_1

I've only heard for a while now that AVEN has been due for another upgrade.

Better hope that.

ajaz

oh, well, in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 we just thought that when AVEN was down, we went to myspace and chatted in there, or in 2014, we went to facebook .

rudolph the timewarp

Robin L, do you seriously and honestly believe that nothing is wrong? To be honest I'm fed up with this pretending that things are alright when they are not.

Let's get the facts straight: AVEN is not run by volunteers. It is run by one single person who is almost never around and lets only one other person touch the server. None of these two people seem to be willing to communicate what is happening.

If AVEN was run by volunteers, we could find a solution, but David Jay seems not to want us to.

Ceebs.

Actually, AVEN is not run by David Jay. David Jay has (as is obvious) nothing to do with its actual running.

rudolph the timewarp

Let's make the distinction clear: if you have admin rights on a Facebook group, you don't run Facebook. In the same way the admods on AVEN are no more than users with certain privileges. AVEN is a private entity run by David Jay.

Holy Ghost

oh, well, in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 we just thought that when AVEN was down, we went to myspace and chatted in there, or in 2014, we went to facebook .

You're funny. :p

Telecaster68

Let's make the distinction clear: if you have admin rights on a Facebook group, you don't run Facebook. In the same way the admods on AVEN are no more than users with certain privileges. AVEN is a private entity run by David Jay.

That's also been made very clear by various mods on other threads, apologising for the various glitches and saying there's nothing they can do about it.

My understanding is this: Cole is the sole techie and as the site grows, its demands are understandably getting overwhelming. The solution is to draft in more help, bigger server etc, but that can only happen with David Jay's cooperation, and he's apparently never around and generally uninvolved. Hence no progress, and presumably the silence from mods etc. out of a sense of loyalty.

Sleighcaptain

I can't speak for other mods, but personally I've seen no communication from David Jay on this subject. So it's not silence from loyalty, but silence because there's no facts I can add

rudolph the timewarp

Which is even worse, to be honest.

Robin L

Actually, AVEN is not run by David Jay. David Jay has (as is obvious) nothing to do with its actual running.

My understanding is this: Cole is the sole techie and as the site grows, its demands are understandably getting overwhelming. The solution is to draft in more help, bigger server etc, but that can only happen with David Jay's cooperation, and he's apparently never around and generally uninvolved. Hence no progress, and presumably the silence from mods etc. out of a sense of loyalty.

I believe that DJ does take part in the tech side, just not very actively.

I can't speak for other mods, but personally I've seen no communication from David Jay on this subject. So it's not silence from loyalty, but silence because there's no facts I can add

As a former mod, I can confirm this. I've never seen DJ in the back room, and I've only seen Cole once.

Telecaster68

Just from a 'customer service' perspective - actually saying words to the effect of 'yes, we get it, we accept that's a valid point of view' rather than completely ignoring posts raising tech issues would go along way to soothing frustrations. Silence seems dismissive.

So as I understand it - DJ's pretty much left AVEN as an orphan site, and paralysed what it can do because his consent is necessary for any major changes, and he's just not involved enough to give it?

Nai

So you want us to just say "Yes we get it your view is valid" and be done with it? You asked us to provide you with reasons as to why we can't do anything about it. We told you why several times. We aren't ignoring you or being dodgy; we're providing you with the information we have. Which really isn't any more than what you have.

Personally, I have no way to directly contact Cole or DJ. I know there's some team members that do, and I normally just notify them to notify Cole if there's any tech issues.

I really never see DJ around. That's not to say that he doesn't do anything but I never see him post or anything. I'm not one to tell you if he severed ties with AVEN or not, but I doubt it considering some are still able to contact him.

I get it, it's frustrating. I wish I could say more, but that's honestly all I know. I can't force Cole or DJ to post here...I earnestly wish that someone could say "Yes, here is the issue, and this is how it can be fixed". But I'm not in the proper place to say that, and the ones who are don't seem to have the time to reply, for whatever reason.

oval

It would be nice if someone who actually knows what is going on could simply describe:

1.) What is the problem.

2.) What is the solution.

3.) What is the obstacle to accomplishing the solution.

Telecaster68

So you want us to just say "Yes we get it your view is valid" and be done with it?

Yes, touching an extent. I've modded forums and the job means facilitating debate, and there's an element of customer service to that. One of the basics of customer service is to acknowledge that complainants have been heard. Apart from anything else, they/we calm down and it makes the mods' lives easier.

But it needed to go with some kind of demonstration that you are in fact taking it seriously, and the shoulder shrugging 'not my job, guv' response that we got before a bunch of us really started to push was the opposite of that.

we're providing you with the information we have. Which really isn't any more than what you have.

Eventually.

I can't force Cole or DJ to post here...I earnestly wish that someone could say "Yes, here is the issue, and this is how it can be fixed". But I'm not in the proper place to say that, and the ones who are don't seem to have the time to reply, for whatever reason.

I'm sure we appreciate the info you can supply, and I'm not getting at anyone in particular. But being complained at comes with the Mod territory...

The AVEN team does seem to be rather dysfunctional though, especially when clear sensible offers of help are apparently taken so defensively. You'd think they'd be received without open arms.

SkyWorld

It seems to come up a lot lately and sometimes the same people ask the same questions to the same people and get the same answers. I know it's not really the answer that everyone wants to hear and to be honest, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have any way to contact Cole or DJ and that the team is incapable of fixing the issue. It isn't about stepping on toes and doing other people's job, but we really are incapable. We couldn't fix it even if we want to. We don't have the buttons or technical knowledge to actually fix the problem. I really wish there was something I could do, but all I can offer are my unhelpful words...

Yes, some are asking questions for those who can actually give a solid answer, but the people with such knowledge are too busy to answer, which leaves people to feel ignored... So the team leaves a response to show that they're not being ignored... But still not getting the answer... Which leaves pretty much everyone involved (members and admods) to be in a frustrating cycle.

rudolph the timewarp

Wouldn't it be about time to actually make AVEN a non-profit organization, given that it is effectively the asexual community? That would solve a lot of problems. It would also give us a certain political weight (an organization with tens of thousands of members is certainly more powerful than an otherwise unorganised group of users of a social network of the same size).

Rising Sun

Some people would leave if it were the case. Activism, especially with official policies and worse, political activism, I know where that always goes, so no thanks. As much as I'm attached to this place, I'd be among the first to leave if that happened.

Telecaster68

Sky - I can feel your frustration. To an extent, these posts can be seen as ammunition for you and others to demonstrate there's an actual problem, it's not just you (or whoever) kicking off. I'm sure the others who've been posting similar things have been around enough blocks to understand that's how things I can work too.

As for becoming a nonprofit: this has been raised before, and politicisation aside, the real problem is that it requires DJ signing off on it, and he either refuses to or isnt around enough, so it's a non starter.

rudolph the timewarp

As for becoming a nonprofit: this has been raised before, and politicisation aside, the real problem is that it requires DJ signing off on it, and he either refuses to or isnt around enough, so it's a non starter.

Well, it's the story of the chicken and the egg. We could well set up a non-profit organisation without DJ, and in case he's happy with it, he could then hand over the forum to that organisation.

Telecaster68

Well, it's the story of the chicken and the egg. We could well set up a non-profit organisation without DJ, and in case he's happy with it, he could then hand over the forum to that organisation.

True enough. I think many on AVEN might find that either too confrontational or passive aggressive or something...

rudolph the timewarp
True enough. I think many on AVEN might find that either too confrontational or passive aggressive or something...

Totally not what I have in mind. I think it would be rather logical to have an organisation for so many people, and why should it all depend on David Jay? In the end it's what he had in mind when he started the whole thing, or do I get something wrong?