We are on portalofevil.com

oberlinasexual

oberlinasexual

Go to portalofevil.com...looks like AVEN made the front page, which is probably not a good thing. I often go there for a laugh. It says this site is militant.

2013 Mod Edit: Sadly I can't get to the 16 comments that were left already on the first day, I only managed to retrieve the front page of January 18th 2006. Some of the comments were posted in this thread by AVENites though.

Uh oh. Well, at least it's not somethingawful.com (though I'm willing to bet they'll find us too within the year). Portal of Evil is generally mean-spirited, but harmless.

It should be interesting to read the comments that come up there, though. The second one is apparently from a former AVENista:

What I don't get is why so many people at AVEN are so militant and whiny and bitchy about how sexual the world is. Which is why I almost never go there anymore.

I mean, seriously, there are better things to whine about than the fact you're not getting any BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT IT.

Better things, like whining about people whining about not getting any because they don't want it???

All I have to say is, the timing can't be a coincidence. Which means... Portal of Evil members watch The View! Hahahahahahahahahaha! So lame.

Huh. We are sooo militant here.

Do these guys have a dictionary?

HuSongshu, somethingawful.com did have something on us, although I don't remember what or when-- I think it was before my time here.

Not to give the impression that I'd ever take anything these sort of people say personally, but apparently we're

miserable, unloved subnormals.

Gee, people sound so clever when they make fun of people they know nothing about on the Internet! Let me try it:

Zookeepers are misguided fucktards with bad taste in footwear. And they smell like poop all the time.

Haha, pure comedy gold!

Portal of Evil is a place where people gain social esteem based on how eloquently they can insult people.

Zookeepers are misguided fucktards with bad taste in footwear. And they smell like poop all the time.

Bonus points for using the PoE lingo "fucktard." :lol:

Huh? I've read everything Edgar Allen Poe ever published, and I don't recall ever once reading the word "fucktard".

Huh? I've read everything Edgar Allen Poe ever published, and I don't recall ever once reading the word "fucktard".

PoE doesn't mean Poe. Notice the difference in capitalisation. It means Portal of Evil.

And I posted a comment :) It'll be easy to find as it's the only one that isn't condescending toward us.

All I have to say is, the timing can't be a coincidence. Which means... Portal of Evil members watch The View! Hahahahahahahahahaha! So lame.

I had that exact thought. In fact I mentioned it today to some friends when I mentioned AVEN hit PoE.

I just tried to go to portalofevil on my work computer and got the following message:

The GSI Proxy Server Has Denied Access to this Site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The site you were attempting to visit has been categorized as:

Useless

The local network policy prohibits access to pages within this category.

We make every effort to accurately categorize the sites in our filter list. If you feel the category shown above is incorrect, please report the site you attempted to visit to your local System Administrator or DWP Intranet Adviceline.

This attempt at accessing a blocked site has been logged.

I think that says it all really.

HuSongshu, somethingawful.com did have something on us, although I don't remember what or when-- I think it was before my time here.

It was back in May 2004...

Uh oh. Well, at least it's not somethingawful.com (though I'm willing to bet they'll find us too within the year).

Here's some links for you:
AVEN on somethingawful
Thread about it on AVEN (one of them).
On the plus side it did bring in one or two genuine members who stayed around.

Man, if I didn't know these people are just trying to convince each other they're smart, I'd think they were really genuinely offended by our claims of asexuality. The site has more than thirty comments already, more than any other recent threads. But for some reason the worst insult they can seem to come up with is saying we all have Asperger's. What? I didn't even realize that was supposed to be an insult. I'd go over there and give them a piece of my mind, but it's really, really not worth registering for their pathetic little popularity contest.

Of course, it's mostly just the old claim that since we're here discussing sex, we can't possibly be asexual. Just like bicyclists aren't allowed to complain about traffic because they're not interested in driving a car. Next time I hear a cyclist say, "man, I'm sick of getting run off the road by cars!" I'm gonna shout, "Dude! You so wanna drive a car! Why do you keep talkin' about them?"

And next time I come across an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, I'm gonna shout, "You guys shut the fuck up about booze already! I thought you were supposed to be quitting!"

Not to mention, there are all these people up the road from me who run a center for domestic abuse victims and spend all their time talkin' about people beating up their kids! Man, those are some sick fucks!

Somebody read my post "How can you detect other asexuals with your a-dar? According to the a-helpful advice just look for someone at a party that is talking to nobody and reading a book." Of course they missed the humor in it.

Sorry to keep posting on such an utter waste of bandwidth, but I'm kind of morbidly fascinated by the people over there at PoE and their ongoing flame wars over us. I have a question: is anyone familiar enough with the site to know what the "PD" is? Apparently it's some sort of code they live by. I think it just bars them from coming over here and trolling the sites they mock. I guess that's commendable, but it also handily keeps any of us from finding out and making a spirited defense. Someone (a former AVENista) wanted to tip us off and invite us over to the discussion, but they got shot down by the PD:

http://friends.portalofevil.com/sp.php?si=...p;pi=1000662784

There's actually one or two intelligent, positive posts cropping up there now.

I don't know, I find these sites like PoE and SomethingAwful to be really funny. They think of themselves as such rebels and mavericks jamming the groupthink of the Internet, but they ultimately push utterly straightlaced, puritan, conservative standards because they're all terrified of being labeled as deviants themselves for tolerating the slightest transgressions. They're like the freaking Calvinists of the Internet, but the code they follow is one of fifteen-year-old boys. They say they're really only making fun of people who can't take a joke, which makes a good story, but everything I know about social psychology tells me it's bullshit to say a community can subsist on iconoclasm alone. In the end they naturally do form their own identities, which in such a culture of fear and threat of ostracism are ironically as consistently conservative as possible. The rank and file just stay in line and mock outsiders in a desperate attempt to feel clever and included, and turn on each other at a moment's notice.

I met a Something Awful goon once. This was at, of all places, Anthrocon, the world's largest furry convention. He'd obviously gone with the intention of causing some chaos (if you didn't know, furries are one of the biggest soft targets that SA is so fond of). He had some stickers he was sticking up around the hotel, with the grenade logo and the words "We're watching" or something to that effect. Let me tell you, you meet some sad people at a furry convention, but this guy was the most pathetic individual in the whole place. While all around him people were laughing, having a great time, being creative and sharing their interests, he was just sitting alone on this sofa in the lobby looking completely lost. You could tell he just wanted to go home and post on the forums about how disgusting these people were, but just then, when he was surrounded by friends sharing in harmless enjoyment, with nobody from his world to back him up or give him confidence in mocking them, with the prospect of being a true outsider staring him in the face, he was utterly miserable. I felt really sorry for him.

I am so amused. Especially at the people who automatically go with the "they're repressed sexual deviants hurrr hurrr hurrr" schtick. That will always be my favorite reaction to AVEN.

Eh. I will freely admit to having a somethingawful forums account. The thing about it is, while there is definitely a portion of the userbase who would fit directly into what you describe HuSongshu:

a) they can be found anywhere. They are those who are so desperate to belong that they latch on to anything the group they're trying to belong to even slightly dislikes and try to impress everyone by hating them more than the others.

B) That one would've been from GBS, and while it's sort of the "main" subforum of somethingawful if you like, there are over a dozen other parts to the forums about essentially everything, and a large part of the userbase has at least as much disdain for GBS and its "somethingawful goon rah rah rah" attitude as you do. In my case I mostly just browse its hardware/tech forum.

Interesting fact: I believe there has been an ask/tell thread (another subforum) about being asexual at least twice, and each time we were linked to. Admittedly it didn't go particularly well - "you just can't get any hurr". But somethingawful is aware of AVEN's existence, at least on some level.

Also, there's a reasonably current thread about whether asexuality is a disorder in "Debate and Discussion" where there seems to be roughly average discussion. Most of them don't seem to have anything in particular against asexuals.

Oh my, someone's taken the bait:

http://friends.portalofevil.com/sp.php?si=...p;pi=1000662950

Not bad, if I do say so myself :wink:

And Shoes, thanks for the inside perspective on SA. I've got a good friend who's an active goon, so I suspected there must be more to it than making fun of people on Geocities. That's good to hear.

PD is the Prime Directive. It's the site's rule that you can look, but you can't touch -- no trolling or otherwise bothering the residents of sites that are listed.

Judging by the response to the well thought out reply I'm going to say the responder (the one who said it'd take someone 1 minute to realize they are a homo) did not even read it! AHAHA jeez.

I don't think he even looked at what topic he was posting on. Who the hell thinks an asexual is going to be insulted by being called a homo? That's like a Protestant calling an agnostic "Catholic devil" and expecting them to get upset.

Dammit, I can't believe I fell for some flamebait left out by a bunch of internet kiddies. It was fun at first to write an actual, logical response, complete with statistics, knowing full well it would be lost on everyone (I'm the kind of guy who likes to draw pictures and leave them lying around on the street too. Ephemera is its own reward.) Anyway, maybe I can reuse some of those arguments again someday when talking to someone who gives a shit.

But now I just feel dirty. If that website or any of the people on it meant anything at all to anybody, I'd feel ashamed for interacting with such bottom-feeders. In case anyone here does care, I apologise to AVEN at large for demeaning us all.

oberlinasexual

I can't help but be a little concerned by some of the PoE message board comments. I've been going there for many years, but I don't understand all the fuss they're making over this website. HuSongShu, don't be embarrassed for posting there; you didn't come off as a bad example for AVEN at all. It's just ridiculous that people just don't get it, and refuse to be educated otherwise. I love portal of evil most of the time, but I'm not amused by their message board comments about this site at all. It just shows how far we have yet to go, in terms of visibility.

The only other PoE site that recently garnered this much attention was a pro-pedophilia community. Ouch.

Don't feel bad about posting there, HuSongshu, what you wrote was well said. Thing is, I've noticed a pattern in pretty much an non-common-interest forum. Most the members are about as mature as 12 year olds and seem to have self esteem issues, which they deal with by making fun of others. PoE is no different, as is painfully obvious by the posts in that thread.

It's is as Arthur Schopenhauer once said, "All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

So next we're going to get the violent opposition?

Great!

*clenches fists, assumes "fight" position*

Bring it on!!! :D

From one of the posts there:

I would love it if some of you asexual members came on here and told me you haven't been physically, emotionally, or sexually abused.

I'm tempted to go tell him I haven't (and I haven't), but it's not like it would do any good. He either wouldn't believe me or would find some other reason why I'm not really asexual.

Militant?

What do we want? NO SEX! When do we want it? NEVER!

Haha, that is actually a damn good slogan!

And thanks, OA and Dargon. I don't care how good my response was, it could have won a Pulitzer and I'd still feel demeaned by posting it on that website. Of course the comments that followed didn't make me feel bad, since they all basically said I was a homo for writing something longer than they were capable of reading without their teachers there to help them sound out the words. It's just the principle of the thing.

I don't know why people always want to trot out the old hey-these-people-must-have-been-abused excuse. I believe I once read/heard that people who have been sexually abused often end up becoming hypersexual. :?

deladangerous

The people on there are being extremely dumb, and rather cruel.

I'm disturbed.

They're just so, so, so unbelievably stupid.

I mean, come on-

"Well actually, the aces aren't that bad, they're not doing anything to hurt anybody"

"SHUT UP YOU'RE UGLY AND NOBODY LIKES YOU."

...best argument ever.

And then there's the standard

"You are all clearly stupid ugly nerds [and I can't read]"

and "Just because you can't get any, stop whining"

and "something something I can fuck and you can't"

"they're all pretending to want something they'll never have, I hate them all".......

My head spins. These are some of the worst I've seen.

I haven't bothered to look at that sad excuse for a website, but I find it amusing that so many sexuals have gotten so upset now that they know there's a group of people out there who *gasp!* don't desire sex. If we're so lame/stupid/insert your insult of choice, why are they so upset? They say we're the ones whining, yet how many sites have we seen where idiots like this bitch about a group of people they've never met and probably never will? These folks just feed into my notion that anyone who insults asexuals is just pissed that that's one less person they get to sleep with. :lol:

Archived