Aromantic/Cupioromantic Quiz

I'm interested in hearing the reasons why people do or do not identify as cupioromantic. Whether you are aromantic or cupioromantic or unsure, please take this quiz. I tried to include a variety of responses but I know I haven't included everything so please feel free to expand on your views below.

Which of the following are true for you?

1. "I enjoy fictional romantic relationships and would like to experience the same kinds of feelings"

2. "I like nearly everything about romantic relationships but do not experience romantic attraction"

3. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship, just not with anyone I have ever met"

4. "I love the idea of romance but I can't deal with it in real life"

5. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship for practical reasons (not feelings)"

6. "I think I would like it if someone had romantic feelings for me"

7. "I would be fine in a romantic relationship or a QPR"

8. "I would like to know what it's like to experience romantic attraction"

9. "I'd rather be romantic than aromantic"

10. "I can't imagine spending the rest of my life as an aromantic person"

11. "Being in a romantic relationship would help me attain other goals in my life"

12. "I think dating sounds like fun"

(By the way, here are my answers:

1. True

2. True

3. True

4. Don't know

5. False

6. True

7. Don't know

8. True

9. Maybe

10. Kinda true

11. True

12. True)

• Like 4
ItWasNiceKnowingYou

All my answers are False except for numbers 6 amd 7 because I've had QPRs in which the other person either had a crush on me or wanted a romantic like relationship... They identified as cupioromantic.

Imo it's all about personal preference outside of romantic orientation. Yes I'm aromantic but I'm also romance repulsed so romance/romantic relationships aren't my cup of tea. If someone identified as romantic but doesn't let the lack of attraction hinder their desire of having a relationship then they can choose to be considered a cupioromantic or any other romantic orientation :)

(My answers range from Hell yes, yes, maybe, no, and hell no)

1. "I enjoy fictional romantic relationships and would like to experience the same kinds of feelings" No

2. "I like nearly everything about romantic relationships but do not experience romantic attraction" Hell no

3. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship, just not with anyone I have ever met" No

4. "I love the idea of romance but I can't deal with it in real life" Hell No

5. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship for practical reasons (not feelings)" No

6. "I think I would like it if someone had romantic feelings for me" Maybe

7. "I would be fine in a romantic relationship or a QPR" A QPR ia s strong maybe leaning towards no

8. "I would like to know what it's like to experience romantic attraction" No

9. "I'd rather be romantic than aromantic" Hell No

10. "I can't imagine spending the rest of my life as an aromantic person" Hell No

11. "Being in a romantic relationship would help me attain other goals in my life" Hell No

12. "I think dating sounds like fun" Maybe leaning towards no

• Like 1

I'm aromantic, and these are my answers:

1. False

2. False

3. False

4. False

5. False
6. False
7. Maybe I'd be okay with a QPR someday, but Ill probably never want another romantic relationship.
8. False-ish. I'm a bit curious, but I'm also perfectly content living without it.
9. False.
10. False
11. False
12. False

I don't identify as cupioromantic because I don't like the idea myself being in of romantic relationships in addition to not feeling the romantic attraction. If you want to know what causes people to identify as one over the other, it would probably be most useful to hear from people who identify as aro despite fitting the definition of cupio or people who identify as cupio depsite fitting the definition of aro. Of course if only one of the labels applies to me, I'm going to chose that one. :)

• Like 2
Star Inkbright

8 and 9 are the only ones that are "True" for me, all others False. (Answering as a non-cupio probably-aro).

PerformativeSurprise

1. Mostly False (I can enjoy fictional romantic relationships, but don't desire to experience romantic feelings myself.)
2. False
3. False
4. False-ish (I like romance fine in theory, so in fiction and such I can appreciate it, but in reality it's not appealing to me)

5. False
6. False
7. False (Perhaps a QPR later in life would be fine--not sure at this point)
8. False
9. False
10. False
11. False

12. False

ChillaKilla

1. Partially true- I enjoy them fictionally but have no desire to be in one.

2. False. People get downright silly in those.

3. Bah. False.

4. False.

5. False.

6. Ugh false. So much pressure to behave a certain way.

7. QPR- yes. Romantic- nnoooooo

8. Not really, no.

9. Nope. I'm perfectly fine.

10. No

11. No

12. No

SpeedinThroughSpace

Not sure on my orientation. I'm somewhat grey, but leaning close to aro...

1. "I enjoy fictional romantic relationships and would like to experience the same kinds of feelings"

Sometimes. I love close relationships between characters in books or movies, but I find I usually prefer them to be really close friends or become each other's found family (sibling-like bonds and such). I can also like romantic relationships in fiction, but I'm not super into it. I like the closeness of the bond, the emotional intimacy and devotion, but I actually prefer the best friends bonds over characters getting into a romantic relationship. I have nothing against romance, I'm just rather indifferent to it. A difference is when a character I like in a book is really desperately in love and longs for a romantic relationship, then I want the character to get together with their crush so they can be happy.

2. "I like nearly everything about romantic relationships but do not experience romantic attraction"

Not sure if I experience romantic attraction. I'm not really sure what it is exactly. I've been in love, but what I wanted from the relationship was more like super close best friends and cuddle buddies (what people here call QPR but I never knew that existed). Still, I loved me girlfriend very much.

3. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship, just not with anyone I have ever met"

No. I haven't wanted anything other than friendship in my life, counting out the girl mentioned above. I currently (for several years already) don't find myself wanting to be in a relationship. Maybe that will change one day if I meet the right person. Yes, it's a cliché phrase and I know people around here don't like it much, but I think it could happen and I want to be open for it.

Uh... I love the idea of closeness in interpersonal relationships. I don't care much about what form it is.

Don't really know if I could deal with much kissing, if that is part of a romantic relationship par your question?

5. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship for practical reasons (not feelings)"

No. What practical reasons would that be?

It usually freaks me out. I always worry about breaking someone's heart because I don't return their feelings.

The romantic relationship thing is still being reviewed. A QPR sounds like something I would want, though.

That would answer a few questions, so yes.

Not really sure which one I am since I feel not completely like one or the other, but I think I have no preference. It's just something you are, you can't really change it. I fail at even defining it, why should I bother with which one is better?

I haven't wanted a relationship in roughly ten years. I don't miss it. I simply don't desire to have a relationship. Nothing wrong with that.

11. "Being in a romantic relationship would help me attain other goals in my life"

No? Like, what kind of goals?

Considering how long I need to make friends and how long I take to trust someone, the concept of dating isn't much of a thing for me. I like hanging out though, so if we're to interpret dating as spending casual time with someone doing a hobby you both enjoy (say, a sport, video games, whatever), then I'd probably like that, but really just to get to know each other and make friends. But that's not what dating is, so I suppose not? I can't imagine taking ten dates to get ready to tell someone all my secrets and really open up to them about vulnerabilities and such... The people I know that date get really close to their dating partner really quickly. It's fascinating, but I don't think I can do that.

False. With very few exceptions, fictional romantic relationships are really boring.

Hard to say, I've never been in a romantic relationship. But probably not, I really need my own space.

Probably false. Maybe a QPR though.

Rarely, usually if I'm feeling really shitty and lonely. I know I wouldn't be able to deal with it IRL though.

Financially, life is easier with a partner so sure. Not that it has to be a romantic partner though.

False. It's happened, it was a bloody nightmare.

Long as I had some personal space, sure.

In a scientific sense, yeah. I'm curious.

False.

True only when I've been hearing "life is meaningless without love!1!!" type crap for too long and have gotten slightly depressed over being aro. Which, luckily, has been decreasing as I've started to learn about QPRs and stuff like that.

False. Don't see my orientation changing anytime soon.

I'm not sure what kind of goals this would accomplish.

A lot of the things people do with dates are things I already do with my friends, so I don't really see much of a difference.

• Like 1
alyra noire

1. false... while I do like romance in fiction sometimes, I don't feel any interest in experiencing it.

2. True I guess... I only like some things about a romantic relationship, and do not feel attraction

3. false, because I have wanted to be with people before.. well but it was more like, out of attachment and not attraction.

4. false... lol I don't like the idea of romance, but have enjoyed it in real life xD

5. True.

6. True.well, I was surprised that I liked it xD

7. True... I'd aim for a QPR however

8. false. I don't care to feel it, I'm glad I don't.

9. false. I like how I am, well I'd rather be more aromantic than I am.

10. false, I can imagine it, in fact I've lived it just fine so far :)

11. True... it would finally get me moved out of the parents ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. false... dating sounds frustrating and pointless... I wish for a way to avoid it >_<

You know, you can make a poll of this from the software side

Betty Badinbed

1. "I enjoy fictional romantic relationships and would like to experience the same kinds of feelings". TRUE. This is partly why I read, to experience emotions that are harder to find in real life. Of course, I don't necessarily want to experience extreme heartbreak, just the nice bits. LOL!

2. "I like nearly everything about romantic relationships but do not experience romantic attraction" FALSE. I am terribly romantic (and this is why being ace often really jars with me. Self-acceptance is one the biggest challenges in my life.).

3. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship, just not with anyone I have ever met" FALSE. Currently have a crush on someone, would like to be in a romance with them.

4. "I love the idea of romance but I can't deal with it in real life" FALSE. I can deal with the romance, all the way to the bedroom door. Then it gets awkward.

5. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship for practical reasons (not feelings)" FALSE. The feelings are my muse, as a writer.

6. "I think I would like it if someone had romantic feelings for me" TRUE - though it depends who of course.

7. "I would be fine in a romantic relationship or a QPR" TRUE - and already have 3 or 4 wonderful QPRs under my belt.

8. "I would like to know what it's like to experience romantic attraction". N/A. I know what it feels like.

9. "I'd rather be romantic than aromantic" TRUE.

10. "I can't imagine spending the rest of my life as an aromantic person" TRUE, while also n/a, as I am not aromantic.

11. "Being in a romantic relationship would help me attain other goals in my life" Hmm, not sure about this one.

12. "I think dating sounds like fun" TRUE. it is fun. I went on a date last night, with my QPR friend. We went to a queer women's event, then went back to mine and tried on corsets.

All of them false. Except for the first part of 1 (though that applies to very, very few fictional relationships and definitely NOT the kind that's portrayed in mainstream media far too often), but no thanks to experiencing that myself.

• Like 1

1. "I enjoy fictional romantic relationships and would like to experience the same kinds of feelings" meh, I'm indifferent to fictional romantic relationships and I'd kinda like to know what the feelings feel like, but not indefinitely

2. "I like nearly everything about romantic relationships but do not experience romantic attraction" False, I don't like a lot of things about romantic relationships. True, I don't experience romantic attraction

3. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship, just not with anyone I have ever met" false

4. "I love the idea of romance but I can't deal with it in real life" false

5. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship for practical reasons (not feelings)" false

6. "I think I would like it if someone had romantic feelings for me" true I guess, I'd be flattered but I wouldn't really know what to do

7. "I would be fine in a romantic relationship or a QPR" romantic relationship no, QPR yes

8. "I would like to know what it's like to experience romantic attraction" true

9. "I'd rather be romantic than aromantic" false

10. "I can't imagine spending the rest of my life as an aromantic person" false

11. "Being in a romantic relationship would help me attain other goals in my life" false

12. "I think dating sounds like fun" false

I don't identify with any romantic orientation, I just prefer it that way, but I took the quiz anyways since I am indifferent to romance.

Sometimes I guess? I don't enjoy all fictional romantic relationships, I'm like 50-50. Sometimes I wonder what it's like.

Yeah, no... I do not like nearly everything about romantic relationships. Very little actually appeals to me. Experience romantic attraction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't say that I would like to be in a romantic relationship? I don't see why not about giving it a shot, but I don't have an actual desire for it.

Idea of romance is very "meh" to me. Like I said, I don't see why not to giving it a shot.

What are these practical reasons? :huh:

It depends I guess. Sometimes I get a little freaked out and I'm probably not someone they'd want to be a romantic relationship since... I'm not exactly the most romantic person. :P

I would prefer a QPR over a romantic relationship, but again I wouldn't mind giving a romantic relationship a shot.

I don't know. I wouldn't mind it guess.

I don't identify with any romantic orientation as a personal preference, I'm just going with the flow. I'm happy with the way I am though.

Umm? Look above.

I don't agree with that statement, no.

I don't know... video games and rollercoasters are pretty freakin' cool.

True for part one. I do enjoy m/m romance.

False for part two.

False

No

I do enjoy the idea and get a kick out of it as long as I'm not involved! :P

No

Uh, nope

I'd like to explore a QPR at some point ...

No

I'm happy the way I am. :)

Thing is, I can

I doubt it.

I'd rather just hang out with friends or read a book or, er, play on the internet.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
dragon_cake

1) True but maybe without the kisses?

2) Kind of? It's more like I'm clueless or confused at figuring out if I'm attracted to someone romantically or not.

3) True, although I would like to know them better like their hobbies and stuff.

re-edit: No, my feelings for actual romantic relationship lately seems so-so or none at all.

4) True, I have such high expectations or ideals for romance that I feel all lovey dovey on the inside with my strong imagination but appear really unromantic on the outside since I'm not familiar nor used to being in a romantic relationship.

5) I'll say that it's half true and false because I've always been stuck with the idea of falling in love with love but I also plan to be in a commited relationship where we both help each other out and not feel like only one has to overwork for the other (can be related to job or chores at home). Personally, the thought of not having any other options than being the traditional housewife irks me but on the otherhand, I'm unemployed and have terrible anxiety when it comes to driving so if the other I ever fall in love with can help me with my situation (like having an available job) it would be untrue for me to say I can only carry a relationship with love or feelings only.

6) Unsure, it really varies if I know who the person is or not and if we've been close friends or I only know little about them (depends if I seen them online or certain places).

7) Sort of, I would like to know what a QPR is like first.

8. (Had to change it because it will turn into a smiley) Yes? I'll like to know so I won't have second doubts if I felt it or not.

9) Not really, I'm fine with how I am whether it's considered romantic or not.

10) I'm not sure if I'm aromantic or not so I can't say.

11) I think of a romantic relationship as a sort of connection but I don't believe it will solve every problem or get me to my goal unless it's my own effort.

12) Dating with a complete stranger doesn't exactly spell fun in my book...

• Like 1

False except 6 and 7. I'm not aromantic (demiromantic to be exact) but I never had a desire for romance. But for committed companionship in general, yes. A romantic relationship can fulfill this need for me, but a QPR would be equally lovely and satisfying. It would depend on the person and the feelings I have for them ; what matters is that both have the same depth of feelings in the end.

• Like 1
LittleBrownSparrow

1. False

2. False. Kissing, ew. Hand holding, ew. Maybe if they wear gloves. Cuddling, nah.

3. I don't know

4. false.

5. I don't know.

6. Probably no because I wouldn't want to hurt them. I know I wouldn't feel the same way.

7. False. I would be really uncomfortable and anxious.

8. That would be nice.

9. I'm fine with who I am.

10. I can imagine it well.

11. Not really.

12. It sounds like a lot of work and scary.

False. They're a bloody waste of my time.

False. I appreciate the emotional closeness, but that's about it.

False.

Fucking false

False

True. I like it when I have some power over people.

False for romantic relationships, probably true for QPRs

False

False

False

False

False. It sounds fucking terrifying.

1. "I enjoy fictional romantic relationships and would like to experience the same kinds of feelings" Kind of. I feel like I can feel romantic feeling through reading about characters with romantic feelings, but I have no desire to personally experience romantic attraction toward anybody I know. I do ship tonnes of characters romantically though. I even ship some people queer platonically.

2. "I like nearly everything about romantic relationships but do not experience romantic attraction" I like reading about romantic relationships. I feel happy for people who are in love. Is this question asking if I like nearly everything about being in romantic relationships? Because then the answer's "False". I also don't like the idea of kissing and I enjoy personal space, but I'm not sure if those are connected with romantic relationships necessarily.

3. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship, just not with anyone I have ever met" False-ish. I'm happy the way I am but I have a romanticised view of romance. I like the idea of romance but have no real desire for it.

4. "I love the idea of romance but I can't deal with it in real life" True.

5. "I would like to be in a romantic relationship for practical reasons (not feelings)" True. I imagine having a partner whose personality complimented my own would be beneficial.

6. "I think I would like it if someone had romantic feelings for me" False.

7. "I would be fine in a romantic relationship or a QPR" True, probably. More so QPR.

8. "I would like to know what it's like to experience romantic attraction" Nope.

9. "I'd rather be romantic than aromantic" Not really but I suppose it would make "dating" easier?? I think I want a QPP.

10. "I can't imagine spending the rest of my life as an aromantic person" False.

11. "Being in a romantic relationship would help me attain other goals in my life" Probably. If my partner motivated me to achieve my goals.

12. "I think dating sounds like fun" False. It's mentally exhausting just talking to people.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

true

not true

pretty much, yes

true

sorta. i do enjoy being single a lot and enjoy having lots of time for myself, but having someone to come home to - both in the literal sense and the emotional sense - seems lovely as well.

thought so, then i experienced it. definitely nope.

im more open to a qpr than a romantic relationship, but i think id be alright with both. (is this a contradiction to my answer to the question before? im confusing myself.)

true

currently still true, i hope one day it wont be though

sorta true and sorta false. im still trying to accept the fact that i am aromantic and that the life which is always said to be life you should want to live - falling in love, getting married, having children, living happily ever after - might just not happen to me. i do crave affection and love, but being aromantic asexual makes that rather hard for me.

sorta. id love to be a mother someday and even though id probably want to adopt a child, that would be way easier if i was in a romantic relationship or even married.

dating, as in the awkward phase of getting to know each other, doesnt really sound like fun to me, being in a relationship with someone you know really well does.

True

True

False

True

False

Unsure. Would be flattered but also guilty for breaking their heart

False

False

False

False

False

Unsure some of it will be while other stuff will suck

Grumpy Alien

(I'm heteromantic.)

YES!!

False. I do experience it.

False...

False.

No, there are feelings involved.

Yes!!!

Yes but a QPR wouldn't be enough for me.

I do know.

I am romantic and prefer that.

Well I'm not, so...

Yeah. For a lot of reasons like my self confidence and one day having a family.

Not unless I know them well first, no.

All of them no, except the number seven in which I may want a QPR for practical and emotional reasons later in life (I don't think it would work though).