Annoying things romantics say

Lmaohelpme

"You're perfect." Everyone, and I mean everyone, has at least one flaw.

Even worse: "S/he is perfect" when they have found a new SO. (And you just think "No, they're not." :huh:)

There is a saying that sums it up nicely: "The best way to prevent falling in love is to get to know the other person better".

Anything to do with how upset they are about breaking up - save your tears for someone who cares. I'm such a terrible person, but I don't get it and I don't have the patience to deal with it.

not said to me personal but when I read comment on facebook where someone is feeling down for whatever reason and some of their friends comment with. "maybe you just need a girlfriend" "one day you will find real love"

like their love is not real? or like you get a girlfriend and suddenly your depression and all your problems are gone???

makes me so annoyed.

Also I really hate when doctors want to ask "are you sexual active" but instead ask. "so do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?"

like why?

My psychologist told me this during an entire year of visits. Luckily I turned 18 so I got a new one. My current one is very good and very accepting of my disinterest in relationships ^^

Ace of Amethysts

"One day you`ll find that special man or woman who will sweep you off your feet." Thanks, my entire family, for rejecting both my aromanticism and my asexuality in one fell swoop. :(

When people say things to their romantic partner like: "you are the reason I'm alive. you're my entire world. I would die without you"

I can't be the only one who finds that totally creepy..

its creepy as hell

Anything to do with how upset they are about breaking up - save your tears for someone who cares. I'm such a terrible person, but I don't get it and I don't have the patience to deal with it.

I was called insensitive when I said, "Maybe it's a good thing you broke up. Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want you?"

That would be comforting to me and I don't understand how that was insensitive? Maybe it's just me but I don't understand it.

When people say things to their romantic partner like: "you are the reason I'm alive. you're my entire world. I would die without you"

I can't be the only one who finds that totally creepy..

its creepy as hell
Agree. That's creepy. Plain 'ol creepy.

When people speak of being in a relationship as being "more than friends".

"I admire that you're strong enough to be single".

Like, I'm not strong because I'm not in a relationship? I'm not in a romantic relationship because I don't feel romantic love toward anyone.

And anything about how romance is the most important thing in life and completes you is probably the most annoying things.

Hermit Advocate

"You'll understand when you meet the one." - Nope.

"You're just introverted, don't worry you'll meet someone." - I'd rather not.

"You smell nice." - Dude, your standing about 5 feet away, are you part bloodhound or something?

"I get depressed when I don't see you for more than a day." - Yes, this has been said to me. Complete turn off.

"You're pretty, you'll find someone." - why?

"You're perfect" - No I'm NOT! I have many flaws. Stop saying that in that sugary voice that makes it sound like you're talking to a 5 year old.

*I may being going through some relationship issues. Ignore me.*
Dodecahedron314

My dorm has a tradition called Awkward Date Night, in which everyone who participates is randomly assigned someone whom they have to ask out in a designated strange way, and then the night of the event everyone goes out and has a specific way they have to act oddly on the date. I'm not participating, obviously, and so last night somebody asked me "why not? It's a lot of fun!"

"Um...because I'm a romance-repulsed aro???"

"Oh, come on, it's the least romantic thing I've ever done in my life, that's the whole point."

...yeah, no. Try and tell that to my romance repulsion, which I know for a fact would be set off even by something like this. Not to brag or anything, but I think I just might know more about what affects that than some alloromo dude who's known me for less than a year.

Lord Jade Cross

"You'll understand when you meet the one." - Nope.

I met Neo, he was an asshole.

"You're just introverted, don't worry you'll meet someone." - I'd rather not.

I disagree. I hope I meet another introvert. That way we will both reafirm the undoubtable conclusion that such a thing as relationships are completely unnecessary in unison in the first 3 seconds of seeing each other in the distance. Then we can tell everyone off.

"You smell nice." - Dude, your standing about 5 feet away, are you part bloodhound or something?

He be a werewolf (not the cool kind) *Impales him on a silver cross*

"I get depressed when I don't see you for more than a day." - Yes, this has been said to me. Complete turn off.

Heres a picture of me. Enjoy my unmissable company.

"You're pretty, you'll find someone." - why?

*looks at mirror. Mirror breaks* Hope you like broken faces

"You're perfect" - No I'm NOT! I have many flaws. Stop saying that in that sugary voice that makes it sound like you're talking to a 5 year old.

Im perfectly fucked up, does that count?

I was called insensitive when I said, "Maybe it's a good thing you broke up. Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want you?"

That would be comforting to me and I don't understand how that was insensitive? Maybe it's just me but I don't understand it.

Well, it is insensitive to say that when someone's still grieving, but it is also true. I just don't say anything or leave it to someone more compassionate/patient to give them the support they need. I'm not sure you can effectively reason someone out of a broken heart, you have to let them hear what they want to hear or feed them platitudinous "plenty more fish in the sea, time heals all wounds" stuff and let them sort themselves out.

Autumn Season

I'm heteroromantic and probably romance-repulsed, so... I get annoyed by romantic lines a lot. And since I am active in the dating scene those are surprisingly :P difficult to avoid. Currently I am getting to know a potential partner and he sometimes says things like "Talk to you soon" (implying that he hopes to talk to me soon) or "Your cute voice". It makes me shudder. And it is difficult to tell somebody "I am interested in you romantically but please don't talk to me in a romantic way ever". :(

Autumn Season

Well, it is insensitive to say that when someone's still grieving, but it is also true. I just don't say anything or leave it to someone more compassionate/patient to give them the support they need. I'm not sure you can effectively reason someone out of a broken heart, you have to let them hear what they want to hear or feed them platitudinous "plenty more fish in the sea, time heals all wounds" stuff and let them sort themselves out.

The "doesn't want you" is the insensitive part. This is (most probably) exactly the reason why they are crying. Saying out loud the fact which hurts them so much, is a bit... you know...

The "doesn't want you" is the insensitive part. This is (most probably) exactly the reason why they are crying. Saying out loud the fact which hurts them so much, is a bit... you know...

I didn't say it to their face thank goodness ^_^ I think I'm just very insensitive in general

The same statement would have comforted me *shrugs*

Truth can be harsh sometimes...

It depends. The better you know the other person, the better you can adjust your words to their needs in this particular situation. Timing is a key, not everything needs to be said right away. However, it would be uncomfortable if I had to hide my feelings from a friend completely.

I'd always prefer an honest word to this general "time heals all wounds"-like sort of thing.

Ace of Amethysts

*points to Autumn`s post*

This. I`m a romance indifferent aromantic and even I wouldn`t say anything close to that. Then again, maybe I`m just too nice... :lol:

Can I just say I don't get romanticism at all? Even the act of dating seems absurd to me, and I question, multiple times a day (in my head), as to why anyone would date anyone. :unsure:

God of the Forest

Can I just say I don't get romanticism at all? Even the act of dating seems absurd to me, and I question, multiple times a day (in my head), as to why anyone would date anyone. :unsure:

Thats ok ^_^ thats just because you're you. Just as you're confused about why anyone would date anyone, there might someone that is confused about why you wouldn't. Romanticism isn't something to "get", its merely a concept that works for some and for some it doesn't.

Starlit Sky

Ah, I'm guilty of the "You're perfect! <3 <3 <3 " thing. XD Though, at least I can honestly say that I'm never serious when I say things like that. There are some people who truly do hold their significant others on that high of a pedestal.

Hmm . . . a conversation between me and my therapist:

Me: I don't really feel that way about people.

Her: You'll meet someone one day.

Well, here I am, five years later . . . although I can say that I've been in love and am willing to date, what I said remains to be true: I don't really feel that way about people. I can, but it rarely ever happens, and the person that I met certainly didn't change my mind. xD

Are they really that bad? :blink:

Welll it's already been said before, but it just depends on who you're talking to. I've heard a lot of romantic people say that they hate having crushes, hate love, blah blah blah, and then I've heard a lot of romantic people say that they love having crushes, love love, blah blah blah. For me personally, when what I was feeling was still strictly just a crush, I found it to be . . . extremely interesting. Even with love and heart break and all that good stuff, I can't say I've ever regretted it. If anything, I'm happy for the experience.

So, no, I wouldn't say they're that bad. xD

Dodecahedron314

I've experienced this same thing twice. Once, when I was in junior high school and I heard from Friend 1 that Friend 2 had just broken up with her boyfriend, I heaved an audible sigh of relief because her boyfriend was a complete jerk, and Friend 1 slapped me in the face. The other time was the summer before I started college, and my roommate had just broken up with her boyfriend of a few years, and she mentioned that in a conversation, everyone went silent, and I awkwardly said, "Um...can I get you some junk food from the vending machine downstairs or something???", to which she sort of smiled and said I was being very Sheldon right now.

My dorm has a tradition called Awkward Date Night, in which everyone who participates is randomly assigned someone whom they have to ask out in a designated strange way, and then the night of the event everyone goes out and has a specific way they have to act oddly on the date. I'm not participating, obviously, and so last night somebody asked me "why not? It's a lot of fun!"

"Um...because I'm a romance-repulsed aro???"

"Oh, come on, it's the least romantic thing I've ever done in my life, that's the whole point."

...yeah, no. Try and tell that to my romance repulsion, which I know for a fact would be set off even by something like this. Not to brag or anything, but I think I just might know more about what affects that than some alloromo dude who's known me for less than a year.

^ I just had this conversation again today, with 2 different alloromo guys and the same one from before, and all of them repeated the same objection (including the one I'd previously had the conversation with). I don't care if you don't think it's romantically associated or romantically coded or whatever, why is it so hard to conceptualize that someone who describes themself as romance-repulsed, even if you don't even know what that means, just might have a problem with it regardless of your reasoning that they very obviously don't share??? -_-

Me: "No, I'm NOT lonesome, not at all, but thanks for your concern..."

"When you get a boyriend/girlfriend..."

"When you get married..."

Morning Glory

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but...

When people have their entire existence revolve around a relationship. Xp why?! I mean: I'm all for the whole idea of someone being head-over-heels for someone to the point when it would feel as if they are their world, but... When it actually turns out that way? It doesn't seem healthy. Sure it's romantic and all that, but they should make their life their own ya know? Or at least make half of their life their own and not give up everything for the SO. I think that's why I feel bothered, confused and awkward when I find myself around someone having relationship problems... Cause to me it seems so simple! Oh? They're trying to tell you who your friends are or aren't? Well that person clearly is trying to manipulate you, so you might want to set them straight on where you stand or find someone better suited for you. I know they say "love is blind", but does it really make it so a person can't see that the relationship isn't a good one? That both parties might be better off with someone else? If they aren't making you feel like being together is the best thing ever then how could they be the person who is meant for you??

Also! Why! On! Earth! Are kids getting into relationships?!?! It's seriously freaking me out! Friendship is so important, along with having an amazing childhood! Why in the world is the youth of today focusing so much on relationships and being "grown up"?! It's concerning... I recall being on a bus as a volunteer to bring young students to park, some time ago. I saw a young girl (probably 12) who looked so sad, so I tried to figure out what was wrong. She said her boyfriend broke up with her. I was stunned and tried to tell her that maybe it was because he wanted to experience more things first and I tried to remind her that they are both still pretty young and she shouldn't worry about that sort of thing and to just enjoy herself. She then brushed me off, saying I just don't understand. She gave me the impression that a lot of others have told her the same thing, and that she wasn't about to hear anything else I had to say. ._. Already it's gotten to the point (in my sisters school) where the boys and girls do not associate with each other unless forced to or they are "together"... And they're 14 years old. •~• I can't imagine what my life would be if I only had female friends! My male friends mean just as much to me and they have done so much in my life. It's so sad to think that a persons friendship pool can be effectively cut in half just because everyone thinks that the opposite genders should only hang out if they're dating...

And I never liked how so many of the caregivers in the daycare I used to work at would always "pair up" the kids! They'd be like "oh they're totally together!" And I'd bite my tongue to stop myself from saying "really?? Really??!!??!! They're hardly over a year old!!"

*facepalms and sighs*

^^ Amazing XD

People that I'm out to now hastily correct themselves to, "Or if you get married to a man.. Or woman or whatever." xDD it's amusing.

And @Morning Glory, I remember saying all the way up until I was 18 (where I found out that romance wasn't just all a big game) that it was stupid that people got into relationships in high school because it could never work out (well hardly ever) so why bother? I've since been explained to that casual dating is a thing (??? I still don't really get the point of that, apparently it's fun or something), and that people enjoy dating. People complain about it so much I don't why people bother.

GloomyGhost

People that I'm out to now hastily correct themselves to, "Or if you get married to a man.. Or woman or whatever." xDD it's amusing.

I've once been told "And you don't know, maybe you'll meet the right guy or a girl... or a plushie..."

It was on chat and started out with him saying he'd kiss me (to prove I was pretty according to him or something... idk it was weird) and then he wrote "Interesting. She's not into girls, so should be into guys, but then again as soon as I mentioned a kiss she threatened to block me on FB. The only conclusion is she's into plushies."

Edit: So I just revisited the chat history with this person as we later talked about me not ever wanting to date (I did not know I was aromantic then) and I swear it's like this entire thread in one single conversation, it's so funny.

confusedbat

"Your life is Frozen without Love!"

I have issues in the meaning of "Love"!!!

Yeah me too, like seriously! I want to say to them, you know there are other kinds of love that are just as fulfilling lol, jeez.

Ace of Amethysts

I don`t know what the hell`s gonna happen to me in life relationship-wise but I will never marry. That`s a certainty. ;)

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but...

When people have their entire existence revolve around a relationship. Xp why?! I mean: I'm all for the whole idea of someone being head-over-heels for someone to the point when it would feel as if they are their world, but... When it actually turns out that way? It doesn't seem healthy. Sure it's romantic and all that, but they should make their life their own ya know? Or at least make half of their life their own and not give up everything for the SO. I think that's why I feel bothered, confused and awkward when I find myself around someone having relationship problems... Cause to me it seems so simple! Oh? They're trying to tell you who your friends are or aren't? Well that person clearly is trying to manipulate you, so you might want to set them straight on where you stand or find someone better suited for you. I know they say "love is blind", but does it really make it so a person can't see that the relationship isn't a good one? That both parties might be better off with someone else? If they aren't making you feel like being together is the best thing ever then how could they be the person who is meant for you??

Also! Why! On! Earth! Are kids getting into relationships?!?! It's seriously freaking me out! Friendship is so important, along with having an amazing childhood! Why in the world is the youth of today focusing so much on relationships and being "grown up"?! It's concerning... I recall being on a bus as a volunteer to bring young students to park, some time ago. I saw a young girl (probably 12) who looked so sad, so I tried to figure out what was wrong. She said her boyfriend broke up with her. I was stunned and tried to tell her that maybe it was because he wanted to experience more things first and I tried to remind her that they are both still pretty young and she shouldn't worry about that sort of thing and to just enjoy herself. She then brushed me off, saying I just don't understand. She gave me the impression that a lot of others have told her the same thing, and that she wasn't about to hear anything else I had to say. ._. Already it's gotten to the point (in my sisters school) where the boys and girls do not associate with each other unless forced to or they are "together"... And they're 14 years old. •~• I can't imagine what my life would be if I only had female friends! My male friends mean just as much to me and they have done so much in my life. It's so sad to think that a persons friendship pool can be effectively cut in half just because everyone thinks that the opposite genders should only hang out if they're dating...

And I never liked how so many of the caregivers in the daycare I used to work at would always "pair up" the kids! They'd be like "oh they're totally together!" And I'd bite my tongue to stop myself from saying "really?? Really??!!??!! They're hardly over a year old!!"

*facepalms and sighs*

Uh... amatonormativity/romocentrisism in action? *hides unsure*

"I'll give my soul for one night with her, only one is all I ask."

Good thing souls don't exist after all and that's freaking creepy what you just said btw.

"I love you!"

I don't experience love, no clue what love actually is or means.

"Oh man, I need to find a girl to " /snap

me "I know, this is the seventh time in one hour you're saying it."

"I think I've just fallen in love."

No, you didn't. You just want to fuck that beautifull girl.

"Bro, in a couple of years she going to be gorgeous."

And you a couple of years older than you already are bro.

"She the love of my life, she's the real one."

She's number 123 or 125?

Archived