What counts as fictosexual?

poindexter

Fictosexual? Has it always been called that or there another word for this at some point? I swear there was...

Aaannyway, just wondering - do people consider real life people like actors, musicians or celebrities to be within the bounds of fictosexuality?

I guess a reason you would might be because they seem as unattainable as fictional characters? But then.. They're real people, and most would consider their attraction to e.g. a person who walks down the street as they're driving and whom they will never see again to be full-on sexual attraction. Is being sexually attracted to unattainable celebrities really any different to that?

Is there a general consensus on this?

Fictosexual? Has it always been called that or there another word for this at some point? I swear there was...

Aaannyway, just wondering - do people consider real life people like actors, musicians or celebrities to be within the bounds of fictosexuality?

I guess a reason you would might be because they seem as unattainable as fictional characters? But then.. They're real people, and most would consider their attraction to e.g. a person who walks down the street as they're driving and whom they will never see again to be full-on sexual attraction. Is being sexually attracted to unattainable celebrities really any different to that?

I am fictoromantic bordering fictosexual and it's only actual fictional characters (just to be clear fictional chars actually are attainable for a true fictoromantic/fictosexual, much moreso than meat people, hence why we develop stronger attractions to them than to meat people, they are attainable in a way meat people never can be) ..A meat person is still someone made of flesh, regardless of their status (ie celebrity or whatever) ..Yes people do have fantasy relationships with Brad Pitt or whoever in their head, or dream of marrying Taylor Sift yada yada, but that's still not fictoromanticism or fictosexuality. It's only ficto if the object of attraction literally only exists as something originally created by the mind (whether your own or someone else's mind)

Yes the other term is fictophiliac though I never liked that term because it suggests there is something unhealthy about it, that it's a disorder etc. I was identifying as fictophiliac before I found the terms fictoromantic and fictosexual which are a lot more accurate.

Not to sound elitist but yeah if anyone said ''I'm fictosexual because I only want sex with celebrities'' I'd tell them to bugger off because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

EDIT jeeez that had a lot of typos hah, hope I got them all!

WinterWanderer

I am fictoromantic bordering fictosexual and it's only actual fictional characters (just to be clear fictional chars actually are attainable for a true fictoromantic/fictosexual, much moreso than meat people, hence why we develop stronger attractions to them than to meat people, they are attainable in a way meat people never can be) ..A meat person is still someone made of flesh, regardless of their status (ie celebrity or whatever) ..Yes people do have fantasy relationships with Brad Pitt or whoever in their head, or dream of marrying Taylor Sift yada yada, but that's still not fictoromanticism or fictosexuality. It's only ficto if the object of attraction literally only exists as something originally created by the mind (whether your own or someone else's mind)

Yes the other term is fictophiliac though I never liked that term because it suggests there is something unhealthy about it, that it's a disorder etc. I was identifying as fictophiliac before I found the terms fictoromantic and fictosexual which are a lot more accurate.

Not to sound elitist but yeah if anyone said ''I'm fictosexual because I only want sex with celebrities'' I'd tell them to bugger off because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

EDIT jeeez that had a lot of typos hah, hope I got them all!

Oh interesting, I didn't realize this is an actual orientation. I was thinking of it as an adjective. *suddenly feels awkward*

Oh interesting, I didn't realize this is an actual orientation. I was thinking of it as an adjective. *suddenly feels awkward*

Hah no need to feel awkward, I don't think many people have heard of it.. or don't really properly understand it? They are like ''oh everyone gets crushes on fictional characters, that's normal'' ..But being Ficto means your feelings for/attractions towards fictional characters are always deeper and stronger than anything you feel for meat people (non-fict chars) and your interaction with fict chars is deeply, intimately satisfying, moreso than what you experience with meat people. People who ''crush'' on fict chars see them more as an object to crush on, as opposed to an actual being you can interact with on the deepest levels of your self and experience emotions with that you can never experience with a meat person, that's the difference between being a Ficto and just a regular person who ''crushes'' on fict chars sometimes. Also, it's generally a life-long, enduring pattern.. The quality of attraction to fict chars usually begins in youth and carries on throughout adulthood, and experiences with ''meat'' people are just never the same, never equal (even though yes we can still have relationships with meat people, they are just never as satisfying or emotionally rewarding) . It's an enduring pattern throughout ones life though.

I don't necessarily think it even needs a label or to be legitimately characterized as an orientation or anything, but I still like being open about it online because sometimes someone see's one of my posts or whatever and they're like'' OMG I never knew there was anyone else like me!'' and they feel a bit better and a bit more comfortable with who they are etc which is obviously always good!

Obviously I would never tell my family or anyone I know that I'm ficto hah (people wouldn't understand) but I'm happy to be open about it here.

Thanks Pan :) :cake: I thought this was the case, but I wanted to make sure.

I don't think people can ever be as satisfying as fictional characters, even from a regular friendship perspective (unless you like to physical touch people). Seeing as they only exist in your head, they can't disappoint you in the same way a real person can, they are always there if you need them, exactly as you imagine them, and you can share your innermost thoughts with them in a way you never could with real people. Also, sometimes they have superpowers. I can see how one could easily become more attached to that than to a regular person.

Could I ask - do you imagine yourself with your fictional characters, or make up your own character to be with them?

Thanks Pan :) :cake: I thought this was the case, but I wanted to make sure.

I don't think people can ever be as satisfying as fictional characters, even from a regular friendship perspective (unless you like to physical touch people). Seeing as they only exist in your head, they can't disappoint you in the same way a real person can, they are always there if you need them, exactly as you imagine them, and you can share your innermost thoughts with them in a way you never could with real people. Also, sometimes they have superpowers. I can see how one could easily become more attached to that than to a regular person.

Could I ask - do you imagine yourself with your fictional characters, or make up your own character to be with them?

Hmmm well for me, I am completely restricted by ''who the character is'' in the ''canon'' of the story (canon is a term I learned only a few years ago, its a fandom term meaning true to the original context, no deviations. I've always adhered strictly to canon, I just never had a word for it before) .. So, if that character falls in love with someone else, or isn't interested in women, or whatever.. I just have to deal with that pain, anger, and heartbreak. I can't just ''make them not be in love with her'' in my head, it doesn't work like that for me.

I have always inserted a true-to-canon original character into the original text, that person has to have legitimate family ties to others in the world, a legitimate history and past memories, and a legitimate and totally believable reason to be near to and interacting with the character of attraction. I have did this ever singe, I don't know, 8?? The character generally has very little in common with myself other than biological gender, their personalities may more more immature, more stupid, more catty, sometimes smarter, depending on what would be required for the context the character is in and the time/world/etc. A character of interests never hears my thoughts or opinions, never gets to share my hopes and dreams, only those of the insert, whatever they may be (usually things I have no interest in, for example the last ones life goal was to run away and work in a brothel so she didn't have to be married, she was young and really stupid haha) I experience emotions through this character as they interact with the world and with other canon chars. Also I say ''bordering fictosexual'' I do so because my inserts are always sexual (generally quite excessively so) I myself personally though would not have sex with the character of interest if offered. I have as little interest in that as I do in ''meat life'' situations, lol. But inserts experience things very differently than I do.

I also become immersed in the world in my day to day life, drawing maps, costumes, landscapes etc to familiarize myself with the canon as envisioned in my mind and as described by the original creator. This can last anywhere for a few months to a few years for each separate love interest.

Because of all this, I have had to stop letting myself get attached to fictional characters since having kids, don't let myself form bonds with them, have to fight it, or else my ability to be a parent would suffer. When the kids are older I will be able to enjoy fictional relationships again ^_^

sorry if thats full of typose, I typed it in a hurry!

Cool, looks like I totally misunderstood how people interact with their fictional character! XD

Thanks again, Pan!! :cake: :)

Cool, looks like I totally misunderstood how people interact with their fictional character! XD

Thanks again, Pan!! :cake: :)

Well that's just me!! Maybe every Ficto does it differently? I personally couldn't get any joy out of having complete control over their actions in my mind (as that would be too hmmm..imaginary? not real enough) and I could never interact with them as myself as.. myself is just not believable enough :o ..But maybe others feel differently ^_^

Archived