Survey on Asexuality and Violence (Trigger Warning: Violence, Abuse Sexual Assualt)

Wiseja1987

After spending some time around Aven and other sites for Asexuals, it seems like the number how face sexual violence as a direct result of their orientation is alarmingly high. I'd like to do an actual, in-depth study on this, but for now I'll use this poll as a test run. please only respond if you identify as on the Asexuality spectrum. I'll be comparing this to other studies that include sexuals. Also, feel free to chime in with ideas for what else I could include, or ways the questions could be more clear. Thanks in advance!

Survey on Asexuality & Violence

Done.

I noticed some misspellings in your survey, if you get the chance to fix them:

#1: Nither should be Neither

#6: Firneds should be Friends

#7: Permission is missing the last "n"

Thanks. I typed this out hurriedly on my lunch break; didn't have much time to proof-read.

littlepersonparadox

This survey has been approved by the Project Team for advertising on AVEN. Please be aware that the survey deals with sensitive information that may be triggering. Triggers include abuse, violence and sexual assault.

Paradox

A thought on the survey that just popped into my head. You might add a question about age (general or specific).

Good idea. I only get 10 questions for this one, but I can consider that for the next stage.

Thanks for the 'it's more complicated than that' option.

I tried to acknowledge that answers aren't always black-and-white while not making the survey too complicated or ambiguous. if any of you have suggestions, by all means, let me know,

Did the survey yesterday - dreamt about getting sexually assaulted for the first time today :(

Now I should do it again, but I can't

Well, I've been threatened... more than once, have received verbal abuse, but that's it.

Well, I've been threatened... more than once, have received verbal abuse, but that's it.

That (at least as far as a brief description can) matches my experience too. I have a theory that this is more common in the Ace community than it is in the general population; that's what i'm attempting to find out.

I have been bullied most of my life for being different teased verbally and mentally over these issues done the survey

Done. You might indicate "bullied" somewhere, in one or more of the questions. That isn't sexual violence, but it's abuse.

Thank you everyone who responded and offered suggestions. I'll be analyzing the results this weekend, and will post them in this thread. From there, I'd love it if people want to continue discussing what they thought of the survey and how I can make it better for next time. I'm considering a different platform than Survey Monkey for version 2.

IntrovertedBuddhist

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to the first 2 questions, is it only if you experienced those things because of asexuality? Because I have been assaulted/in fights but for entirely different reasons & my father was a villian but he didn't know I was asexual, so any abuse can't be tied to that. I just said no to both.

I'd recommend making a distinction between sexual assault and sexual harassment. "Abuse" can mean a lot of things.

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to the first 2 questions, is it only if you experienced those things because of asexuality? Because I have been assaulted/in fights but for entirely different reasons & my father was a villian but he didn't know I was asexual, so any abuse can't be tied to that. I just said no to both.

1: I'm very sorry, that sounds awful. (hugs). Thank you for commenting, despite bad memories.

2.That's a good question. I have a theory asexuals are more likely to be exposed to/victims of violence because they don't exhibit certain specific behaviors the rest of the population does. It's possible to be "othered" even if you and your assailant aren't aware of your asexuality. This really wasn't clear in the survey, I'll likely have an introduction statement to that effect the next time I do this.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here `are the preliminary results (and only a week late)

33% of respondents reported being assaulted in some way, this compares to a national average of 1.1% of the overall population (bear in mind this statistic varies greatly between demographics)

42% reported experience abuse at some point in their lifetime, and 19% reported that they where unsure if their experience was abusive. This compared to a national average of approximate 20% in the general population (29% for women, 10% for men)

Rates of sexual assault were roughly comparable to the national average (between 1 in 5 and 1 in 6).

Less than half of the respondents said they'ed never heard asexuality or it associated terms used as an insult.

18%, 18%, and 20% reported general coercion, hostile responses at turning down sex, and hostility towards coming out as asexual, respectively.

Summary.

Rates of violence and abuse seem significantly higher in the ace community, but outright assault appears to be around the national average.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about this survey (100 responses). It will help me prepare for a ore 'official' version.

Archived