#Trans + non-binary problems

Neko-tama

Your not old enough

You'll change your mind

What if you regret it in the future?

(I am old enough to have a job, vote for my president, drive, get an abortion, am 3 months off of being allowed to buy alchohal, I can join the military, get arrested and put in adult jail, and I no longer get the Disney World child's discount. I think I am old enough to decide things about my own body, which I may point out I've lived in for twenty years.)

"Can't you just widen you view of being a boy?" - mom, dad and sister

Ok, now I'm curious. How do you do that?

Calligraphette_Coe

"You're M or F, and NOT some phony trans construct of left-wing gender theory embraced by minority groups banding together."

ClayDaDalek

**My best friend who's talking to someone that just referred to me as a female**

"She's not a girl, she's agender!"

..thanks for trying, buddy. So close.

**My best friend who's talking to someone that just referred to me as a female**

"She's not a girl, she's agender!"

..thanks for trying, buddy. So close.

I got '-birthname-'s a boy, not a girl!' Good try man, but you know my real name.

My ex's mother used to say stuff like 'So has she decided to be a girl yet?'

In gym class I always wore shorts (other option was sweats) and a few girls would see my hairy legs and go 'aw, Kenny's a feminist!' Kenny's a boy, actually. I mean come one, I'm out to you and you used my name, why do you think I don't bother shaving?

TriSpectral

Flatly refusing to entertain the notion that biological sex and gender are not the same thing.

"What's between your legs?"
"What gender are you today?"
"So, you're, like, confused?"
"That doesn't exist, idiot."
"Get over it."
"...I'm just gonna call you a boy."
"Are you just doing this for attention?"
"Are you both or neither?"
"You've got a dick, haven't you?"
"Are you sure you're not just faking it?"

ChillaKilla

Flatly refusing to entertain the notion that biological sex and gender are not the same thing.

Or that assigning gender to sex is just as much of a social construct as gender roles.

Newsflash, ciscreants: Penis does not equal male. Double X chromosomes does not equal female.

Or that assigning gender to sex is just as much of a social construct as gender roles.

Newsflash, ciscreants: Penis does not equal male. Double X chromosomes does not equal female.

Every single definition of male/female has their own set of issues. I think people in here knows this. There isn't any better definition than that, and that doesn't mean the alternatives is worse, they're pretty much all equally bad in the sense that they are flawed. A perfect definition of male/female... Well it doesn't exist. Some only looks into that philosophy or at least base their identity off that philosophy because it makes the most sense for them.

Every single definition of male/female has their own set of issues. I think people in here knows this. There isn't any better definition than that, and that doesn't mean the alternatives is worse, they're pretty much all equally bad in the sense that they are flawed. A perfect definition of male/female... Well it doesn't exist. Some only looks into that philosophy or at least base their identity off that philosophy because it makes the most sense for them.

The definition of male and female pertain to sex though.

ChillaKilla

Why do we have to associate anything with genitals at all? Why not drop the "male/female" thing and just say "penis/vagina/intersex" and leave the gender to the individual?

Why do we have to associate anything with genitals at all? Why not drop the "male/female" thing and just say "penis/vagina/intersex" and leave the gender to the individual?

Yep, I can't wrap my head around why some people are fixated on genitals! If someone IS their dick, I'm very sorry for them.

ChillaKilla

The definition of male and female pertain to sex though.

And why is that? Because of arbitrary assignment

Here's one:

Female: a person who identifies as female.

Male: a person who identifies as male.

So, by trying to define someone based on identity, you think you have solved the definition of male/female? Newsflash, I have to say that you only are proving that male/female are by themselves are a flawed term. You haven't considered people who are igender (the gender version of igtheist) whose definition largely depends on what kind of gender the respondent defines gender as, and you still haven't shown why self-identity should actually matter compared to more perceived identity assessment, and why one should rely on self-identity any more other than other alternatives when even self-identity approach is flawed. There's also people like me who arguably has multiple set of gender when multiple definitions are applied, and I have to ask you, what should I identify when clearly I can arguably identify as male or agender or genderless depending on what context should be used. So, call me when there's actually a solution to male/female definition that is without problem because as far as I'm concerned, every single definition so far is flawed including self-identity one.

Yep, I can't wrap my head around why some people are fixated on genitals! If someone IS their dick, I'm very sorry for them.

I don't think you quite get their mindset. I have blue eyes, so therefore I am a blue-eyed individuals. Thus, I have a dick, so therefore I am a male. It's not something that they are fixated on, it just something they perceived as a fact that they can observe.

I get the mindset, I just do not agree that genitals mean a thing. Just like your eye colour does not mean a thing.

ChillaKilla

Having a penis makes you and individual with a penis, which is not necessarily male.

I get the mindset, I just do not agree that genitals mean a thing. Just like your eye colour does not mean a thing.

I understand, I think the important thing is people really need to respect others' approach to identity and how they identify because every single approach is unfortunately flawed if you were to try to look at things deeply at a philosophical level and analyzing problems with them. You don't have to agree that genitals means a thing or skeletal framework + fat/muscle composition as well, and I do not have to agree that roles/perceived behaviors/emotional responses means a thing. Everybody at this point should really understand that.

At a philosophical level, we don't exist at all #BeenThereDoneThat

If you interact with a person, I hope you are interacting with the mind. I hope. The body is an object, the mind is the subject. Treating someone like a subject, seeing their soul, their inside, is quite... essential. I hope I do not need to explain why genuine contact on a human, not animal level is crucial.

One time my mom said that too and she said "there's always one that plays the man and the one that plays the woman. Even though they are against traditional relationship they still like to play pretend and then adopt children and make their children like that". I was like o__________o mind blown ...

Lmao once I was watching a documentary about legalizing gay marriage and stuff, and my grandpa walks in and says the almost the same thing.

I don't think you quite get their mindset. I have blue eyes, so therefore I am a blue-eyed individuals. Thus, I have a dick, so therefore I am a male.

Even if you're going to use that shitty logic to misgender trans women and amab nonbinary people by calling them males, you know that intersex people with penises exist right?

Yes, I know that, and hence you point why that logic is flawed. At the same time, every other logic is just as equally as problematic.

One time my mom said that too and she said "there's always one that plays the man and the one that plays the woman. Even though they are against traditional relationship they still like to play pretend and then adopt children and make their children like that". I was like o__________o mind blown ...

Lmao once I was watching a documentary about legalizing gay marriage and stuff, and my grandpa walks in and says the almost the same thing.

I don't understand why one has to play the "man" and the other play the "woman" anyway o_O I think mom is probably going off certain assumptions based off of how she might view some gay couples not really knowing whether or not thats a thing or not.

Look, male means having a penis. That's the dictionary definition. It may not matter, but I'm still able to say "he's black". I'm not wrong, and I can still interact with that person how I want to.

In the case of intersex or transsexual people, I think transsexual people have changed their sex (implied by the name) and that intersex people, well, I guess they could decide that.

I don't understand why one has to play the "man" and the other play the "woman" anyway o_O I think mom is probably going off certain assumptions based off of how she might view some gay couples not really knowing whether or not thats a thing or not.

The gay/lesbian "Who's the man/woman?" question is the sexual orientation equivalent of asking about trans genitalia. The really want to know who the top/bottom is.. They also color relationships relative to the gender binary and have difficulty wrapping their heads around relationships that balance themselves in another way.

In many instances, however, one person does tend to take on a more feminine or masculine role within the relationship dynamics. In all honesty I prefer AMAB people who have feminine tendencies (because it balances out my more masculine ones).

um no offense but most women are pretty asexual

there's no such thing

why do you make a big deal out of it

Look, male means having a penis. That's the dictionary definition. It may not matter, but I'm still able to say "he's black". I'm not wrong, and I can still interact with that person how I want to.

In the case of intersex or transsexual people, I think transsexual people have changed their sex (implied by the name) and that intersex people, well, I guess they could decide that.

The dictionary serves to describe a common understanding of words, it doesn't impose a definition, nor could it.

It is clear that gender is a feature of identity, thus nothing but people can have it. Just because we live in a culture in which gender comes with a set of physical characteristics on a persons body so often that people conflate the two without even thinking about it, doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.

I'm cis, but one of my friends said this:

I know you believe in all of those interesting genders, but I only believe in male and female, the two ACTUAL genders. Honestly, your views on gender identities are useless and wont get you anywhere in life. At least I'M being realistic!

I honestly felt like punching her in the face.

The gay/lesbian "Who's the man/woman?" question is the sexual orientation equivalent of asking about trans genitalia. The really want to know who the top/bottom is.. They also color relationships relative to the gender binary and have difficulty wrapping their heads around relationships that balance themselves in another way.

In many instances, however, one person does tend to take on a more feminine or masculine role within the relationship dynamics. In all honesty I prefer AMAB people who have feminine tendencies (because it balances out my more masculine ones).

I hear ya there xD

I know you believe in all of those interesting genders, but I only believe in male and female, the two ACTUAL genders. Honestly, your views on gender identities are useless and wont get you anywhere in life. At least I'M being realistic!

The fact that you didn't makes you an amazing person o_o Chairs would have been thrown I tells ya

ChillaKilla

The fact that you didn't makes you an amazing person o_o Chairs would have been thrown I tells ya

I would've gone full John Cena are you kidding me

Er, how does "believing" in any gender get you anywhere in life?

ChillaKilla

Er, how does "believing" in any gender get you anywhere in life?

Excuse me, do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior, the gender spectrum?

Archived