Unhappy with being lithromantic?

Ysaye

Lately I have realized that I'm not very happy being lithromantic. When I first discovered that I was, it was nice to know that I wasn't the only one, but over time I've come to think that I'd much rather be aromantic. I tend to develop crushes on people that last for a really long time, which drives me crazy because there's absolutely nothing I can do about it, and as a lithromantic I know that I would never actually want a relationship. But I've often fantasized about being able to be in one. That's why I really wish I could be aromantic, because it would be so much simpler if I could avoid attraction completely. As of now, there's a guy that I like, and our friendship is slowly deteriorating because I've become awkward after realizing that I like him but cannot reconcile my feelings in any way.

Are there any other lithromantic people who feel the same way or have had similar experiences?

BadWolfGallifrey

All of this. Being lith makes crushes so, so frustrating since I want something but I'm also aware that if we did get together or they said they liked me back, I'd lose interest and maybe hurt them. >_<

Being romance-repulsed, I actually prefer beith lithro over "romantic, but not lith". At least I'm less at risk ending up in a mutually romantic relationship that way, which means less risk for people actually getting hurt.

Of course, being aro - which I have effectively become due to SSRI - was still more preferrable to me, by far.

Blue Phoenix Ace

So, what's the difference between romance-repulsed and lithromantic? As a lithromantic, you can still feel romantic feelings, but they are turned off when they are reciprocated. Do romance-repulsed people still feel romantic feelings, even as they are returned? Maybe I just answered my own question.

You can be either, neither, or both.

Romance-repulsed people hate romance and don't want it in their lives (and romance-repulsed romantics are likely to be mad at themselves for having romantic feelings); lithromantics don't want romantic feelings directed to themselves, by others, to the point of it being a turn-off.

Obviously, these two things can occur together, but don't have to.

You can be either, neither, or both.

Romance-repulsed people hate romance and don't want it in their lives (and romance-repulsed romantics are likely to be mad at themselves for having romantic feelings); lithromantics don't want romantic feelings directed to themselves, by others, to the point of it being a turn-off.

Obviously, these two things can occur together, but don't have to.

isn't repulse abit more hmm.. fluid? so to speak than litroromantic?

I heard many people say they are repulsed by some aspect of romantic but not others. that it comes in various degrees and for variout type of situations. Like I know one person who say she is repulsed by romantic songs, while for me I usunally dont mind them but people doing love confessions or gennerally be in love with me makes me want to run a mile.

and litroromantic just lose interest but they may not be really repulsed just like.. not feeling romantic anymore.

at least how I heard.

• 1 year later...

i feel the exact same way except i would rather just be able to love like a normal person, i hate being lithromantic and if i could change it i would in a heartbeat. i understand what you're going through as it is a hard situation we as a community have to go through but i'm always here for a chat if you want to talk with someone that fully understands how you feel! :)

Archived