Research: Asexuality, Sexual Orientation, Personality, and Attitudes

licasatokeane

licasatokeane

Hello AVEN!

My name is Lica Sato-Keane. I am a senior undergraduate researcher from Northern Illinois University. I am currently working on a thesis project involving asexuality and am looking for participants through AVEN to contribute to this study (already approved by the AVEN Project Team). I plan on sharing my results with the AVEN community and want to better inform people outside of the asexual community as well. I am not asexual, but I am passionate about the destigmatizing of subcultures, including the asexual community. Although I care about many subcultures, my background in research has previously focused on the BDSM community and recently on the asexual community.

This is the link to my study: https://niu.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bpyq6jwxcqBwMFD

You DO NOT have to identify as asexual to take this survey.

Please honestly answer as many or as few questions as you are willing.

If you are interested in reading my research paper (thus far) after you are finished taking the survey, please e-mail me at Z1672678@students.niu.edu

Feel free to e-mail me any questions as well!

Thank you AVEN for giving me the opportunity to post my survey on your site and thank you, you lovely participants out there!

Lica Sato-Keane

Northern Illinois University

Lady Norgard

I have an issue with a question, it says that I don't want to have sex with a person until we have a real relationship. But I'm asexual, I don't want sex ever at all.

Notte stellata

Done. It was slightly confusing that the direction of the disagree-agree scale was inconsistent.

licasatokeane

@Lady Norgard if you feel that a question does not apply to you, feel free to skip it. If you do choose to answer the question, please choose the best option for yourself. Thank you so much for noting that! I will discuss that question in my final paper. Sorry for the confusion!

Lady Norgard

@Lady Norgard if you feel that a question does not apply to you, you do not need to answer it. If you do choose to answer the question, please choose the best option for yourself. Thank you for noting that. I will discuss that question in my final paper. Sorry for the confusion!

I didn't know I could skip questions, thank you.

licasatokeane

@Lady Norgard if you feel that a question does not apply to you, you do not need to answer it. If you do choose to answer the question, please choose the best option for yourself. Thank you for noting that. I will discuss that question in my final paper. Sorry for the confusion!

It's better for the research for participants to answer as many questions as they can, but if they do not apply to you, make you uncomfortable to answer, or any other reasons not to answer the question you are in no obligation to answer them. Yourwelcome!

Lady Norgard

It's better for the research for participants to answer as many questions as they can, but if they do not apply to you, make you uncomfortable to answer, or any other reasons not to answer the question you are in no obligation to answer them. Yourwelcome!

Thanks, I've finished it now and that question was the only one I skipped. I liked this survey, it was well made and for the most part clear. :)

How are you defining sexual attraction on the first page of questions? ..Because you will get different answers for that depending on how the people answering it interpret the term 'sexual attraction'. This is a massive flaw in so many research questionnaires like this, the person asking the question does not identify what they mean by sexual attraction, so in no way knows if all the people who have answered ''yes'' or ''no'' define it in the same way they do, or are all using different definitions based on their own personal ideas and opinions (many of which differ massively from person to person). Some say ''finding other people hot or sexy'' some say ''getting aroused by another persons appearance'' some say ''seeing someone and wanting sex with that person'' some say ''desiring sexual contact with another person'', some even say things like ''desiring sex with someone right now''. I am not trying to start a debate, it would just be sooo much easier if people asking questions like this would define what they mean personally when they ask the question.. if you mean ''seeing someone and getting aroused and wanting to have sex with them based on arousal'' ..I certainly don't experience that (nor do many sexual people) ..if you mean ''finding another person attractive in a way that causes arousal'' well I do sort of experience that. If you mean ''desiring sexual activity with another person, regardless of how you feel about their appearance'' I definitely don't experience that haha. Anyway yeah, I have never actually seen one of these where the person asking the question actually explains what they mean, but if they did, it would make it easier for participants AND you would get much more accurate results (because right now, you might get two people saying they don't experience ''sexual attraction'' but both meaning something completely different) ,,, I just think it would make it easier for you and for everyone who attempts to answer these things, regardless of how you personally define sexual attraction. At least we would know what you mean, so can tick ''completely false'' or ''completely true'' depending on what you have outlined, regardless of how we personally define it.

licasatokeane

How are you defining sexual attraction on the first page of questions? ..Because you will get different answers for that depending on how the people answering it interpret the term 'sexual attraction'. This is a massive flaw in so many research questionnaires like this, the person asking the question does not identify what they mean by sexual attraction, so in no way knows if all the people who have answered ''yes'' or ''no'' define it in the same way they do, or are all using different definitions based on their own personal ideas and opinions (many of which differ massively from person to person). Some say ''finding other people hot or sexy'' some say ''getting aroused by another persons appearance'' some say ''seeing someone and wanting sex with that person'' some say ''desiring sexual contact with another person'', some even say things like ''desiring sex with someone right now''. I am not trying to start a debate, it would just be sooo much easier if people asking questions like this would define what they mean personally when they ask the question.. if you mean ''seeing someone and getting aroused and wanting to have sex with them based on arousal'' ..I certainly don't experience that (nor do many sexual people) ..if you mean ''finding another person attractive in a way that causes arousal'' well I do sort of experience that. If you mean ''desiring sexual activity with another person, regardless of how you feel about their appearance'' I definitely don't experience that haha. Anyway yeah, I have never actually seen one of these where the person asking the question actually explains what they mean, but if they did, it would make it easier for participants AND you would get much more accurate results (because right now, you might get two people saying they don't experience ''sexual attraction'' but both meaning something completely different) ,,, I just think it would make it easier for you and for everyone who attempts to answer these things, regardless of how you personally define sexual attraction. At least we would know what you mean, so can tick ''completely false'' or ''completely true'' depending on what you have outlined, regardless of how we personally define it.

@PanfictosaurusAsex You bring up a great point about research that has been an issue for a long time. I have the same sentiments towards scales without clear definitions of the constructs. Unfortunately, because I did not create the scales that I am using, I also cannot define the construct of sexual attraction that I am using. This would invalidate the scale. But I do wish that the people who created the scale included that in the definition. Because without that insight, it is difficult to answer the questions. There are also ways to ask people their definition of sexual attraction at the end of the survey to take note of the differences in people's interpretations. This is a great point that I will be sure to discuss in my final paper. Participants also have the option to comment on the study at the end so I can use their suggestions to improve my future research. Thank you!

licasatokeane

Done. It was slightly confusing that the direction of the disagree-agree scale was inconsistent.

Thank you! I agree. Unfortunately, I cannot switch the scale direction because of how the scale was originally created.

Done.

Thank you!

Definately one of the better surveys, as I could answer most questions. I had however some trouble with the last few questions where I would have chosen several answers but could only choose one.

licasatokeane

Definately one of the better surveys, as I could answer most questions. I had however some trouble with the last few questions where I would have chosen several answers but could only choose one.

@Hunnibi thank you! I appreciate it. Which questions did you feel like you could have answered several answers to but could only choose one? I love all of this feedback you all are giving me!

Mostly the sexual orientation question, because I feel that Asexuality has more to do with sexual activity while homo/heterosexuality describes sexual or romantic attraction. the gender question, especially for transpeople would be better to answer in a spectrum than a single answer. And I think Atheism and No Religion is exactly the same. It was still the best Survey on this topic I have seen so far

I also feel that the questions on morals, especially purity and the role of the father, is very specific to American Culture and would probably receive very different answers in european culture

Lady Norgard

Mostly the sexual orientation question, because I feel that Asexuality has more to do with sexual activity while homo/heterosexuality describes sexual or romantic attraction. the gender question, especially for transpeople would be better to answer in a spectrum than a single answer. And I think Atheism and No Religion is exactly the same. It was still the best Survey on this topic I have seen so far

Homo/hetrosexuality is sexuality. Homo/hetroromatic is romantic orientation.

Also, some people have no religion but don't identify as atheist. Yes they are the same thing, but that's how people are.

This has been approved by the Project Team for advertising on AVEN.

Steph

Dedicated Research Contact

That also threw me off, and now I'm not even sure if I have done it correctly

Completed!

I also found the agree/disagree thing a bit confusing, but I think I got it right. I had to leave a few questions blank because I didn't think they applied to me, but I answered most of them. I hope my responses help! :cake:

@PanfictosaurusAsex You bring up a great point about research that has been an issue for a long time. I have the same sentiments towards scales without clear definitions of the constructs. Unfortunately, because I did not create the scales that I am using, I also cannot define the construct of sexual attraction that I am using. This would invalidate the scale. But I do wish that the people who created the scale included that in the definition. Because without that insight, it is difficult to answer the questions. There are also ways to ask people their definition of sexual attraction at the end of the survey to take note of the differences in people's interpretations. This is a great point that I will be sure to discuss in my final paper. Participants also have the option to comment on the study at the end so I can use their suggestions to improve my future research. Thank you!

Couldn't you multiply the scale by adding what you do agree with, but not replacing the old one, then taking the old one as a "true" measure and testing its Cronbachs alpha with the new set? This admittedly is an out and out replication of each question, and could lead to increased dropout rates. But you talk about invalidating the old measure, which isn't even defined; This is why I usually drop out of these studies. To make this manageable, you could have a secondary quiz incorporating panfictos rec and just have a few ppl take this second one. Then you'd be able to situate your research as both more nuanced and valid.

Other thing that will need to be discussed: I've certainly seen this quiz before. Address the test training effect. Hey, making this critique non valid might be a good reason for having that second scale with a definition but less participants.

EDIT: This Likert scale about disgust is completely wrong as regards labels, neutral and not at all disgusted? How do they differ? The same with slightly disgusted and somewhat disgusted. I know you didn't make it, but that doesn't mean the person who did make it is perfectly right. The use of neutral in this scale is what throws everything off. I'll admit I've never seen the opposite of ceiling or floor effects, but thats what all the responses before neutral amount to. EDITED EDIT: Okay, you can't change it, I see you've said. May I ask why not? Doing the base test and these recommendations in two different tests would allow for a measure of change via Chronbachs alpha, and should only improve the research.

I'm nice, I swear; its the Likert scales that are evil.

Just completed it.

I think its great that you're studying this topic.

There were a couple of questions that i had to pick other (for example, currently in college wasn't an option) and some questions were phrased a little weirdly. Adding in more questions about sexual attraction might help specify the concept of the question. Especially since the most confusing part of the definition of asexuality is what each person considers sexual attraction. For example, i do have a type and i do find people people attractive, but i have never had a desire to touch, kiss or anything. I don't even have a desire to date them.

Otherwise, great job!

licasatokeane

I totally see where you're coming from. I will revise the sexual orientation options for future surveys. I never thought of that aspect. As far as the No Religion questions I was trying to get at the difference between agnostics, athiests, and people with No Religion. Some people may have no religion and not want to identify with either athiest or agnostic.

licasatokeane

I also feel that the questions on morals, especially purity and the role of the father, is very specific to American Culture and would probably receive very different answers in european culture

You're right that it is more prevalent in American culture. What about European culture do you believe would make the results different? Is there a large asexual population in Europe from what you know of?

Also, some people have no religion but don't identify as atheist. Yes they are the same thing, but that's how people are.

Thanks for your feedback!

Done. But skip some, dont remember wich now.

Thank you for participating!

licasatokeane

That also threw me off, and now I'm not even sure if I have done it correctly

Whether or not, thank you for participating! I will see what I can do for that for future surveys!

Completed!

I also found the agree/disagree thing a bit confusing, but I think I got it right. I had to leave a few questions blank because I didn't think they applied to me, but I answered most of them. I hope my responses help! :cake:

Thank you so much for any information you provided for this study! Your responses really make a difference!

licasatokeane

Couldn't you multiply the scale by adding what you do agree with, but not replacing the old one, then taking the old one as a "true" measure and testing its Cronbachs alpha with the new set? This admittedly is an out and out replication of each question, and could lead to increased dropout rates. But you talk about invalidating the old measure, which isn't even defined; This is why I usually drop out of these studies. To make this manageable, you could have a secondary quiz incorporating panfictos rec and just have a few ppl take this second one. Then you'd be able to situate your research as both more nuanced and valid.

Other thing that will need to be discussed: I've certainly seen this quiz before. Address the test training effect. Hey, making this critique non valid might be a good reason for having that second scale with a definition but less participants.

EDIT: This Likert scale about disgust is completely wrong as regards labels, neutral and not at all disgusted? How do they differ? The same with slightly disgusted and somewhat disgusted. I know you didn't make it, but that doesn't mean the person who did make it is perfectly right. The use of neutral in this scale is what throws everything off. I'll admit I've never seen the opposite of ceiling or floor effects, but thats what all the responses before neutral amount to. EDITED EDIT: Okay, you can't change it, I see you've said. May I ask why not? Doing the base test and these recommendations in two different tests would allow for a measure of change via Chronbachs alpha, and should only improve the research.

I'm nice, I swear; its the Likert scales that are evil.

Thank you for your advice! I will look into these suggestions.

i went to NIU! Sweet, will take it.

Thank you so much!

licasatokeane

Just completed it.

I think its great that you're studying this topic.

There were a couple of questions that i had to pick other (for example, currently in college wasn't an option) and some questions were phrased a little weirdly. Adding in more questions about sexual attraction might help specify the concept of the question. Especially since the most confusing part of the definition of asexuality is what each person considers sexual attraction. For example, i do have a type and i do find people people attractive, but i have never had a desire to touch, kiss or anything. I don't even have a desire to date them.

Otherwise, great job!

Thank you! I am very passionate about studying sub-populations! The other option is there for that very reason. I wish I had room for more sexual attraction questions. Also, many of the sexual attraction surveys are unanswerable by an asexual population. I would need to create a new scale that is asexual friendly, which maybe I could work on in the future. I did realize after I put the survey out that I should have asked about personal definition of sexual attraction. That would have been very helpful to better comprehend. Thanks so much for the kind words!

You're right that it is more prevalent in American culture. What about European culture do you believe would make the results different? Is there a large asexual population in Europe from what you know of?

Thanks for your feedback!

Done. But skip some, dont remember wich now.

Thank you for participating!

Thank you for taking time answering to all of us... I hope this surfey will help everyone... All the Best!

Archived