Joe Parrish Articles

CosineTheCat

CosineTheCat

I'm creating a thread just relating to Joe Parrish. A lot of media is focusing in on him, and instead of creating a bunch of new threads, I'll post more in here. :)

DailyMail.co.uk
2016/03/03

• Joe Parrish running for a seat in North Carolina House of Representatives
  • The 24-year-old said he realised he was asexual when he was in college
  • Aiming to become first openly asexual politician voted into US public office
CosineTheCat

Meet America’s First Asexual Politician, Guaranteed to Never Have a Sex Scandal

TheDailyBeast

2016/03/01

It’s estimated that one percent of the population identifies as asexual—that’s around 3.1 million people in the U.S. If queer people face bigotry and expulsion from their communities after they come out, many asexuals face little understanding of what their orientation even is. Oftentimes their identity is viewed as nothing more than a medical affliction.

"At least he won't get caught up in a sex scandal"???

How about a cake scandal then?

DannyFenton123

This is awesome, but why is everybody so worried about this sex scandal Joe won't get caught up in? :huh:

Joe the Stoic

Also, the Daily Mail had an odd headline. I'm not "aiming to be the first openly asexual U.S. politician." I am aiming to be a legislator, so I can save our schools from being destroyed by the Republicans, improve wages and rights of the working class, keep the environment clean, et alia.

But I guess that headline sells more.

(Someone interview me more about my political views.)

Okay, why not? I've got a casual, annoyingly broad question I'm curious about.

So you're running in North Carolina. I've heard of the place. What sort of local political issues exist in your state that I, as a Marylander, am probably unaware of, that do not apply as much to the nation as a whole? And what sort of local issues are important to the 2nd congressional district specifically?

Joe the Stoic

(Someone interview me more about my political views.)

Okay, why not? I've got a casual, annoyingly broad question I'm curious about.

So you're running in North Carolina. I've heard of the place. What sort of local political issues exist in your state that I, as a Marylander, am probably unaware of, that do not apply as much to the nation as a whole? And what sort of local issues are important to the 2nd congressional district specifically?

Did not see this before, but...

I feel that very few issues are exclusive to a single state. If there are more isolated things, I would think they are environmental in nature, simply because a given environmental issue will pertain to a specific location, like a state. There is large controversy about coal ash pollution in our water here in NC, as well as fracking. Duke Energy spilled a great deal of coal ash in the Dan River here in North Carolina, and this has people angry because our governor, Pat McCrory, has close ties with Duke, and they wonder if this could have been avoided with a different governor.

Also, many are furious about what is happening with the UNC school system and how the Republicans are meddling in its affairs. Many North Carolinians are proud of the UNC school system. It is one of our greatest legacies. The University of North Carolina, my alma mater, is the nation's oldest public university, so it holds a special place in our hearts.

CosineTheCat
U.S. politician breaks taboo by declaring asexuality

Toronto The Star

2016/03/20

Joe Parrish is running for a seat in North Carolina’s House of Representatives, basing his platform on education.

But it seems he’s already provided one for many voters.

Parrish has openly declared he is asexual, making him the first U.S. politician to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
scarletlatitude

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU ARE RUNNING IN NORTH CAROLINA. :o :o I used to be a teacher in North Carolina (first in Vance County, then in Chowan County). They do need lots of help with their education system. Good luck!

I have grandparents who live in NC. I don't personally like getting into politics but good luck man, wish you the best. :D

Also, the Daily Mail had an odd headline. I'm not "aiming to be the first openly asexual U.S. politician." I am aiming to be a legislator, so I can save our schools from being destroyed by the Republicans, improve wages and rights of the working class, keep the environment clean, et alia.

But I guess that headline sells more.

Also, you're already openly asexual and a politician, so goal achieved. According to them, but yay, your sexuality is becoming overshadowing of your policies, which shows that literally anything non heteronormative is not quite acceptable.

• 7 months later...

That was a nice reading about Joe Parrish who eats pizza and play call of duty on D-Day.

@Joe Parrish

Do you think it would have been a much closer result and not 39 to 60% if you hadn't "turned you back" on H. Clinton and lost the support of the democrats?

Joe the Stoic

@Nidwin, no, because other Democrats who towed the line in my area got the same numbers, give or take a percent.  I think Hillary is the reason for my defeat, as well as the defeat of my party as a whole, locally and nationally.  We could not shine in her shadow.

Archived