Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timewarp

IT maintenance

Robin L

(a) Cole's role is technical and said she'd respond, but hasn't been able to yet.

(b) That response in itself helps the rest of us understand the situation. It would've been useful a lot earlier.

© Does that mean AVEN as a organisation has absolutely no way of even hearing practical suggestions from its community?

a. Cole is rather busy, but again, I do not know if there are any plans to expand the tech team. The information is not available to me.

b. I thought most people know that Cole and DJ are in charge of tech

c. Depends on the "practical suggestion". Changes to the forum are simple, changes on the tech side is, again, not for the admods to decide. (When was the last time DJ logged on?)

Telecaster68

The practical suggestions are the ones in this thread, and are principally about supporting the tech team, and her being rather busy is pretty much my point, and she was the one who said she'd answer.

SkyWorld

It's mentioned in the FAQ. I could add a specific sentence saying that anything technical about the site is not part of the admods job. I'll get around to that later when I have the chance.

Telecaster68

What's mentioned in FAQ?

Surely not the specific points on this thread?

Tarfeather

I'd love to donate, but I haven't found a way to do so?

timewarp

I'd love to donate, but I haven't found a way to do so?

It seems to be close to impossible to do so with the current construct. Unfortunately we don't get a say in that.

SkyWorld

What's mentioned in FAQ?

People actually about the SQL errors is a frequently asked question, so it's mentioned here in the FAQ under "Technical Issues". Though, I'm going to add a sentence in explicitly about it not being admods responsibility.

Though for the other specific points in this thread about fundraising to support AVEN, etc. isn't included because it's not exactly asked that often? Unless it is and I just don't seem to notice since my time on AVEN. If it is or starts to get asked more often and then having the same responses several times, would I update the FAQ and include that information.

Telecaster68

That's what I thought, about the specific points, but it seems to have just been brushed aside and no replies will be forthcoming.

A small prediction: AVEN will continue to grow, the tech will get less able to cope and eventually the site will get so cranky it ultimately breaks, and the whole community will decamp to Facebook, or Reddit, or Tumblr or wherever and lose all coherence.

Or, whoever runs it could make use of the support and skills of the community and sort it out.

timewarp

What's mentioned in FAQ?

People actually about the SQL errors is a frequently asked question, so it's mentioned here in the FAQ under "Technical Issues". Though, I'm going to add a sentence in explicitly about it not being admods responsibility.

Though for the other specific points in this thread about fundraising to support AVEN, etc. isn't included because it's not exactly asked that often? Unless it is and I just don't seem to notice since my time on AVEN. If it is or starts to get asked more often and then having the same responses several times, would I update the FAQ and include that information.

The discussion usually comes up on the backup server, whenever the main forum breaks down. That's why I thought it was about time to bring up these things on here, so there's a more permanent discussion.

WünderBâhr

It comes up every time there is an issue with AVEN/downtime. May not be vocalized as often as other questions, but it does come up.

Telecaster68

Another week passes. Still no response.

On 24/03/2016 at 3:55 PM, Telecaster68 said:

Rising Sun

timewarp

How is your lengthy reply going, Coles?

GrayDreadylocks

I can't support this thread enough. I wanted to reach out to an active community, found this site as the face of Asexuality as I know it, and was sadly unimpressed. I've seen what communities can do and this one could do so much better with such little effort. You have the people, you have the power, use it! Crowd funding, crowd sourcing, expanding, SOCIAL MEDIA for goodness sake.