What asexuality isn't?

levelskid

fairytalefanfor1

There are so many misconceptions about asexuals it would take all day to discuss them all. Here are some.

Asexuals don't exist.

Asexuals are all aromantic.

Asexuals are all sex repulsed.

Asexuals can't have sex.

Asexuals can't date.

Asexuals have no libito.

Asexuals are celibate.

Asexuals have a metal disorder.

Asexuals have just been abused.

Asexuals are making a choice.

Asexuals are like plants.

Asexuals are robots.

Asexuals can't be emotional.

Asexuals are gays in denial.

Asexuals can't have children.

Asexuals can't get married.

Asexuals are all immature.

Asexuals are going through a phase.

Asexuals are just trying to be special.

Asexuals do not belong in the LGBT+ community.

And that's it for now, though this is not everything. Others throw so much at us it can be hard to tolerate.

Asexuality ins't romanticism.

Thank you. This is the one people forget the most. Everyone is quick to say asexual isn't aromanticism but they forget it's not the other either.

I'm just sick of people subtlety, and most likely accidentally suggesting that romantics are better then aromantics.

The thing that pisses me off is the whole, 'ace people can love too! They're romantic and want love!'. Yeah because I can't love anyone ever, and the only love that matters is romantic.

I think this is in part because it's a less common assumption, perhaps? I personally have encountered a LOT of people with a LOT of misconceptions about asexuality but never encountered / heard of anyone assuming that asexuality is romanticism. I have, however, encountered a fair number of people who assume that asexuality necessarily entails aromanticism, which is why I am (and probably why many others are) quick to deny the latter and not the former. It's not that anyone is implying -- even accidentally -- that aromantics are inferior. It's just that I'm guessing for a lot of us, the notion that asexual people are necessarily romantic has never come up and therefore has never needed to be corrected. On the contrary, despite being hyperromantic myself, I always go out of my way to explain aromanticism to people when I explain asexuality -- but making it clear that the two are not the same thing -- and explaining that being aromantic doesn't make one any less human, any less capable of love (just not capable of a specific type of love), etc.. So while I can't speak for everyone, I do hope you bear in mind that not everyone who emphasises the lack of connection between asexuality and arromanticism is necessarily implying that romantic asexuals are somehow 'better' or anything, or prioritising them. It's simply a matter of not telling people what they already know.

(By the way, I started writing this several hours ago but was then away from my laptop for some time before I could post. I apologise if this repeats anything someone else posted in the meantime!)

^ FoxEars ^

Asexuality isn't a reason to rape someone in order to 'fix' them, to somehow make them feel heterosexual attraction.

Frankly, there is never a reason to rape someone. Not for pleasure, not for power, not for revenge, not for fixing them. Not for any vile, prejudiced, bigoted, misogynistic, misanthropic, homophobic, transphobic, hateful reason under the sun!! :angry:

I'll get off my soapbox now

Asexuality isn't a reason to rape someone in order to 'fix' them, to somehow make them feel heterosexual attraction.

Frankly, there is never a reason to rape someone. Not for pleasure, not for power,

Would it be really passive-aggressive of me to send this to my assaulter / rapist who assaulted and raped me precisely for those reasons? XD

And more importantly, would it even be bad to be a bit passive-aggressive in this case? :P

^ FoxEars ^

Nea Rose Symphony

Asexuality isn't lack of sex with a partner. It is not "special snowflake syndrome". It is not fake. It is not a cool word for virginity or relationship issues nor is it a substitute for relationship status. It is not waiting for marriage (in my case I thought it was until I realized I'm different from the world)

Contrary to what I was once told asexuality isn't being born with incomplete or ambiguous genitalia

Asexuality isnt the same as celibacy

Equally, 'new celibacy' [as it's called] can complement one's asexuality & aromanticism.

If I can achieve it, 'new celibacy' can protect me from ever having to compromise the latter two in a relationship. :ph34r:

Storm Lantern

Asexual is not aromantic.

Asexual is not romantic.

Asexual is not agender.

Asexual is not transgender.

Asexual is not cisgender.

Asexuality is not gendered.

Asexuality is not obliviousness.

Asexuality is not "being a good christian".

Asexuality is not wizardry.

Asexuality is not muggle-ism.

Asexuality is not prudish.

Asexuality is not selfish.

Asexual is not being a magical unicorn.

Asexual is not not being a magical unicorn.

Asexuality is not damage.

Asexuals are not damaged.

Asexuality is not becoming a celibate monk in the Himalayas for the chance to learn the ultimate fighting style so that you can get revenge on the demons who killed your father.

You can do that and still be asexual, though.

mellymotionless

Asexuality is not about sexual experience! You can be a virgin and identify as asexual.

Asexuality isn't naivete or puritanism.

sk8ergrandma

Asexuality isn't a result of being immature

• 2 months later...

Excellent idea of a topic.

Asexuals are not just depresed
Asexuality is not being a late bloomer
Asexuals are not saving themselves
Asexuality is not giving up on sex for any reason
Asexuals are not just waiting for the right person
Asexuality is not a medical condition

Cat Obsessed

Asexuality is not the result of anxiety or depression.

(Some aces have anxiety/depression.)

Asexuality =/= social misfit.

firestring

Asexuality is not an attack on society/the nuclear family/etc.

UncommonNonsense

Asexuality isn't a neurological disorder. Some of us have neuro differences, others don't.

Asexuality isn't a developmental or cognitive deficit. Some of us have developmental or cognitive differences, others don't.

Asexuality isn't indicative of any particular political or religious stance. There are aces who describe themselves as religious and non-religious, who follow every imaginable belief system out there, and whose opinions fall all over the political spectrum.

Asexuality isn't a trend. We're just finally getting noticed.

Asexuality isn't 'just some silly internet thing'. The internet has just finally allowed us to connect and talk to each other. We're no longer isolated due to our rarity. The 'net is simply the venue we use to communicate.

Asexuality isn't just for young people. While young people are luckily able to discover their truth earlier than those of us who grew up before the internet made information on minority sexualities available, that just means that a lot of older or non-tech-savvy people haven't discovered that there's a word that describes the way they experience sexuality/orientation and means that there's a lot more visibility work to do in order to reach them.

Asexuality is not for women/female-bodied people. Females may make up the majority of aces, but there are lots of ace men, ace agender/neutrois people, ace NB people, ace trans people, and aces of all of the other genders.

Asexuality isn't just a North American/UK thing. Aces come from all over the world. Asexuality just tends to get more coverage in English-language media and in countries where women have more personal freedoms.

Asexuality isn't an attempt to gain attention or be seen as more unique than others.

Asexuality is not 'going against nature/god'.

Asexuality isn't dependant on race or income or social class.

Asexuality isn't a threat towards masculinity/femininity.

AceOfShovels

• Asexuality isn't looking for 'special snowflake' status

Asexuality isn't Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder

Asexuality isn't as bad to be as you might think

Asexuality isn't a bandwagon

• 9 months later...
TheNamesVera
On 2/29/2016 at 4:46 PM, FoxEars said:

Would it be really passive-aggressive of me to send this to my assaulter / rapist who assaulted and raped me precisely for those reasons? XD

And more importantly, would it even be bad to be a bit passive-aggressive in this case? :P

^ FoxEars ^

Heck no. Rape is one of the worst things you can do to a person, and frankly whoever raped you deserves a lot worse than passive-aggressiveness.

Asexuality isn't something that needs to be "fixed".

I am so tired of "you should see a therapist about this".

Asexuality is not having a low libido.  

To FoxEars:  Think about whether it would be safe for you to send this thread to your rapist.  

On 3/4/2016 at 3:05 PM, Storm Lantern said:

Asexuality is not becoming a celibate monk in the Himalayas for the chance to learn the ultimate fighting style so that you can get revenge on the demons who killed your father.

You can do that and still be asexual, though.

There's hope yet! :lol:

On 6/4/2016 at 1:18 PM, UncommonNonsense said:

Asexuality isn't just for young people. While young people are luckily able to discover their truth earlier than those of us who grew up before the internet made information on minority sexualities available, that just means that a lot of older or non-tech-savvy people haven't discovered that there's a word that describes the way they experience sexuality/orientation and means that there's a lot more visibility work to do in order to reach them.

This ^ is so true. I would like to see more outreach to the older parts of the community.

Asexuality is not a new concept, though the way we use the word for it is fairly recent.

Though someone up thread already mentioned this, I think it bears repeating seeing as how I had to explain the difference to someone on FB over the weekend: Asexuality is not the same as celibacy. Just because you join a holy order (as a nun or monk/priest) does not automatically mean that you are asexual.

Asexuality is not boring.

Asexuality is not being frigid.

Archived