What makes you a demigender?

AVEN #1 fan

What makes someone a demigirl, demiboy, demiagender, demi-whatever?

I'm so curious.

What's the difference:

-BTW a girl and a demigirl?

-BTW a boy and a demiboy?

-BTW an agender and a demiagender?

Is there even a "demi-androgyne"?

Lightning Blue Ray

I can only speak from my experience. I do not speak for anyone else.

My demigender identity is based on the definition of demigender: identifying partially, but not wholly as a gender. Feeling a partial connection to a gender identity.

Most people who are cis feel that their AGAB fits them well enough. Almost fully. For me, I'm demigender because I identify as female partially, mostly because I'm AFAB. But it does not fit me fully. It's in between agender and female for me. I am somewhere along that spectrum, but I'm not at either end. I'm neither agender nor fully 'female'. I'm only partially a gender. (sorry this phrasing sucks) This is why I identify as demigender.

My understanding is that a demigender person is someone who partially identifies with a gender but not completely. For example, a demigirl may feel and /or identify as 70% female and 30% as another gender; it doesn't have to be 50% to 50%. A girl, however, identifies completely as female. The same goes for other genders. I'm not entirely sure about this definition/explanation so feel free to correct me as I would love to learn more.

And how can I show people I'm a demigirl if I look like either a butch girl or a femme girl? Doesn't that still makes me a girl? Isn't being a demigirl like being agender but with feminine preferences?

For me, demigender means that I feel like agender is accurate, but I also feel more like I can identify with one of the binary genders than the other, which means I at least partially identify with that gender... but my agender identity is also strong to me, and I find the idea of me personally being thoroughly either binary gender to be wrong and kind of gross.

Basically, I'm agender. But I'm more female than male. Therefore I'm demigirl, because I'm agender and at least a bit female.

For me, demigender means that I feel like agender is accurate, but I also feel more like I can identify with one of the binary genders than the other, which means I at least partially identify with that gender... but my agender identity is also strong to me, and I find the idea of me personally being thoroughly either binary gender to be wrong and kind of gross.

Basically, I'm agender. But I'm more female than male. Therefore I'm demigirl, because I'm agender and at least a bit female.

This makes sense.

Isn't being a demigirl like being agender but with feminine preferences?

Kinda? Yes?

And how can I show people I'm a demigirl if I look like either a butch girl or a femme girl? Doesn't that still makes me a girl?

People you don't know personally are probably going to almost always read you as either male or female no matter what you do for the rest of your life. I don't think there's a way to signal "non-binary" to people, whether demigirl or agender or whatever.

... Oddly enough, I sometimes read strangers as non-binary, but I doubt a cisgender person would ever see people that way.

Isn't being a demigirl like being agender but with feminine preferences?

Kinda? Yes?

And how can I show people I'm a demigirl if I look like either a butch girl or a femme girl? Doesn't that still makes me a girl?

People you don't know personally are probably going to almost always read you as either male or female no matter what you do for the rest of your life. I don't think there's a way to signal "non-binary" to people, whether demigirl or agender or whatever.

... Oddly enough, I sometimes read strangers as non-binary, but I doubt a cisgender person would ever see people that way.

Well, with exception of Trans and androgynes, anyway I get you, I read people as nb sometimes, I also read their orientations differently. Maybe I'm just weird. XD

Can people be demi-androgyne or demi-androgyne is a synonymous for demi-agender?

I don't see someone being agender and having equal preferences towards masculinity and femininity. That's considered androgyne or demi-androgyne?

What's like to be demi-agender?

The short answer is you can't. You cannot possible "tell" if someone who presents as a butch girl or femme girl is a demigirl without asking her. Demigirls are just as capable of looking butch or femme as agender folks, or neutrois folks, or really anyone. Heck, I knew a very cute femme trans guy once, he rocked dresses on a regular basis. Sure, that's probably more rare than trans men who bind and try to look as masculine as possible, but that never makes him less a man than anyone else.

So there is no way to "make" someone see you as a demigirl, or as anything really, without straight up telling them. Sorry :cake:

Edit: also, I have never met someone who identified as demiandrogyne, but I assume it's possible. If such a label felt right, then I would fully support it. There's no reason for it to not exist that I can see :)

WhenSummersGone

I identify as this. For me I can feel more like a woman and other times I do not, like having no gender. I feel it's being between being genderqueer (or an unknown gender) and being a woman. I feel this label fits me best and I use it for myself but if someone asks or I answer a question I just say I'm a woman.

Lightning Blue Ray

I feel this label fits me best and I use it for myself but if someone asks or I answer a question I just say I'm a woman.

YES this captured my thoughts exactly. I don't want to be thought of as some Tumblr special snowflake, so I keep quiet about it IRL. But in truth, demigender makes so much sense to me that I use the label to understand myself better.

Well I think of demiboy in the sense that I want to look like a boy, be treated like a boy but I wouldn't go as far to say I'm actually a boy.

Then demiflux because sometimes I feel mostly like a boy but sometimes I just feel like me and sometimes I feel feminine.

I identify as either a cis-demigirl or demigender. I never felt like a boy, I feel like I am part girl and part agender. Does this count as genderqueer?

I identify as either a cis-demigirl or demigender. I never felt like a boy, I feel like I am part girl and part agender. Does this count as genderqueer?

Anything that's neither male or female is genderqueer.

Oh right. So are there 2 types of queer, queer as in not heterosexual and genderqueer as in not cis-gender. Am I right?

Actually, nonbinary and genderqueer are different. All genderqueer people are nonbinary but not all nonbinary people are genderqueer.

Anything that's neither male nor female is nonbinary.

Oh right. So are there 2 types of queer, queer as in not heterosexual and genderqueer as in not cis-gender. Am I right?

Well, there's 4, queer as not cisgender or binary.

Queer as not cissexual or dyadic.

Queer as not heterosexual.

And queer as not heteroromantic.

Sexuality = gender + sex + romantic orientation + sexual orientation

Other attractions like platonic, aesthetic and sensual attractions, for example, plays no part there, before you ask, so if you find your same sex attractive, it doesn't make you queer.

I've always seen the term "queer" as an umbrella term; it applies to you if you in any way feel like the dominant narrative does not fit you. That can mean you are not straight, it can mean you are not cis, it can mean you have a non-hetero romantic orientation, but it can also mean you are born intersex or are kinky.

Of course, I would never use the word queer to describe someone if they themselves don't identify with it (not everyone who identifies as trans, for example, identifies as queer; this may be because in certain cultures and areas of the world, the word queer can have very negative connotations, or maybe just because they don't feel a personal attachment to it).

In short, queer is anyone who feels like they are not the stereotype described by society as "normal" in a sexuality/sex/gender/sexual preferences way. Sometimes, I've seen people use queer to define non-traditional relationships too; a queer relationship is anything other than the traditional monogamous, romantic, sexual one. But that is usually describing a relationship rather than a person; a queer person can engage in non-queer relationships (think of a bi person dating someone of the "opposite" gender, in a monogamous romantic-sexual way, for example) and you don't have to be queer to be in a queer relationship (a straight, cis person can be in a poly relationship for example, or in a platonic relationship, etc).

Those are the two big definitions of queer that I am aware of; a queer person, and a queer relationship style :)

The ways that i would describe my gender: demi-girl flux agender fluid. It the fact that i look at women and i don't see the resemblance...except for female body. The rest, the interests, the girlyness... Nah!

Most of the time am demi-girl like 80% of the time and in that 80% the percentage of how much i feel like a demi can varies from 50 to 25%. Sometimes it drop to 0% and i turn agender 20% of the time. and when i do am agender 100%...

Oh so I am queer in 2 ways. I am not heterosexual and cisgender. I am ace and demigender. I am not queer when it comes to my romantic orientation and I am not transsexual. :)

Archived