Asexual music?

Aceofheartss

Spades&Hearts

Ace of Hearts by Zella Day. Partly just from the title because a romantic asexual person could be referred to as an ace of hearts, but also because the words of the song. There is nothing explicitly sexual. The words imply that there is some form of romance or love involved. The words also seem to show a struggle going on in the singer's life, which to me, connected as a struggle of sexuality and coming to terms with being asexual. 

Holes by passenger 

things that stop your dreaming by passenger. 

It's basically how you interpret the song to your own self. I personally see Rhianna's wild thoughts to be Religious 

This hyper-romantic/sexual theme that runs through so much popular music today is why I enjoy songs from childrens' movies; it's very rare to come across the topic of dating and breakups when the singers are baby dinosaurs.  There is one song I particularly enjoy, called Footprints, by Molly Kate Kesner.  It's about siblings, and it reminds me of my sister.

krystal_muzik

I admit it is kind of annoying. I am asexual and I make my own music. I just released "Last to Know" which is a song about a toxic parent though if the sexuals want to read something sexual into it, so be it. I am currently working on my first in-studio album so if anyone is interested, links are below and I'll let you guys know when the full album drops. I do indie pop-rock music that is not about sex. I am tired of sex. 

========================================================================

Follow Me:
Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/krystal_muzik/
Purchase "Last to Know" for .99
awkward_pterodactyl

I highly recommend heavy metal, or hard rock. It's usually not into the lovey-dovey stuff. There's also some really good instrumental music like Moxie Strings, or classical and jazz (and soundtracks!!). If you don't mind Spanish, Alvaro Soler is good too. None of these are really ace, but they're not sexual, so... 

(See Periphery, Green Day, A7X, Arch Enemy, Escala, Sixx A.M., Disturbed, Rachmaninoff, Megadeth, Symphony X, FOB, so many other good bands...)

I'm not opposed to sexual/romance themes in songs, but only if the song is good. I find those sort of songs to be unrelatable, but that doesn't mean they don't sound good.

Here are some recommendations of stuff that I really like that isn't sexual:

There is a cover of "I Melt with You" by Bowling for Soup that has the same lyrics except for the opening, which goes "Moving forward using all my breath / being friends with you was never second best" instead of the original version, which goes "Moving forward using all my breath / making love to you was never second best".

I love silly songs like The Elements by Tom Lehrer

I listen to and perform a lot of instrumental works and music sung in languages that I do not speak. However, many of those non-English songs often do not concern romance per-say, as I teach a lot about music as expression of identity, music as a religious function, and music as a political tool.

Of the stuff that's in English, I enjoy Streetlight Manifesto's music quite a bit, and it very rarely has themes of romantic love in at all. Bob Marley's also got plenty of Black Consciousness/Pan-Africanism/Rastafari themes that don't relate to romance or sex either. For the non-English stuff, my mind goes to artists like Olodum, Ilê Aiyê, Chico Science, Boukman Eksperyans, Thomas Mapfumo, and though I haven't listened to much of his stuff, I believe Rubén Blades fits too.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:15 PM, Ytterbium said:

I love silly songs like The Elements by Tom Lehrer

I just love Tom Lehrer in general. As an academic, I crack jokes from Lobachevsky all the time. :lol: I've also had The Hunting Song, and We Will All Go Together When We Go playing in my head as of late.

"The Miracle" by Queen.

AndanteCantabile

Has anyone mentioned classical music?... Honestly, it's all I listen to. 

there are tons of songs out there that don't involve romance or sex! like, a plethora. there are songs about idk sociopolitical commentary, songs with religious influences, songs about grief, songs about platonic friendship. it's just a matter of where you're looking I guess? I will say it's a bit harder to find something that appeals to you as an aro and/or ace if you're listening to popular music, like billboard hits, because their lyrics are meant to carry wide appeal and the easiest way to do that is through romantic or sexual overtones.

my all time favorite band is Inner Wave – a lot of their lyrics are weird and multifaceted and while some have that romantic vibe it always seems to be about something else as well. but their stuff sounds so good to me I'm pretty sure I'd still listen to it if the lyrics were about eating the booty like groceries or whatever lmao.

After listening to lyrics for awhile I always drift back to instrumental music that has no lyrics. I like David Arkinstone's music the best. But I'm a bit older so relaxing music sounds better to me.

Ms. Carolynne
On 2/8/2018 at 8:22 AM, awkward_pterodactyl said:

I highly recommend heavy metal, or hard rock. It's usually not into the lovey-dovey stuff. There's also some really good instrumental music like Moxie Strings, or classical and jazz (and soundtracks!!). If you don't mind Spanish, Alvaro Soler is good too. None of these are really ace, but they're not sexual, so... 

(See Periphery, Green Day, A7X, Arch Enemy, Escala, Sixx A.M., Disturbed, Rachmaninoff, Megadeth, Symphony X, FOB, so many other good bands...)

Quoted for truth. I was about to say the same thing.

I listen to a lot of edm stuff too. There's a fair amount of stuff that isn't sexual / romantic in that general direction. I mean, it's mostly instrumental anyway, at least what I listen to.

Really I find sex and romance really oversaturate pop and mainstream music in particular. I personally detest pop music for that reason, among others. I find it's really trite and bland IMO.

Platonic Underdog

Honestly, I consider P!nk's songs what about us and wild hearts can't be broken to be personal ace anthems. I enjoy them and can see myself in them easily.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I like a lot of the early 1960s music, because although that era was supposed to be 'permissive', some of the pop is very innocent...'Ferry cross the Mersey', 'You were made for me', 'something tells me I'm into something good' etc all come to mind.

Archived