Asexual music?

Aceofheartss

What are your favourite non-sex-related songs? I am fine with listening to 'normal' songs, it just gets a bit annoying realizing that every popular song I like is about romance and sex and stuff. . .so I'm trying to find songs that have a bit more variety.

love love love by of monsters and men is an amazing song which i like to interpret as being about asexuality

melancholy-sweet

What kind of music do you like (or not like - whichever is more specific)? I potentially have tons of recommendations but just need to narrow it down.

Pretty much none of the songs I listen to are about sex or love, I don't really see how you would come across it so much.

But I guess I can mention Death Grips' latest single Hot Head, but you gotta be pretty brave to listen to it.

How not to be afraid of Death Grips, a deleted article from WikiHow:

1. Remind yourself that it's just music.

2. Distract yourself. At the beginning, everything will be loud and scary, especially MC Ride yelling. Do something to prevent it from sounding so scary; perhaps chatting to a friend.

3. Bring a friend along with you. They'll provide support and help distract you from the scary parts.

4. Listen to the music carefully. You might actually like it in a non-ironic way.

5. Turn it off or down when needed. If you get scared then turn the volume down and MC Ride won't be shouting so loud.

If you or a friend are afraid, call your/their mom and tell them you want to get home. MC Ride is very loud and angry. A flaming ball of rage in fact; seeing you looking upset will only fuel him more.

Lastly, if you're a parent maybe you should have your kids listen to Status Quo instead.

love love love by of monsters and men is an amazing song which i like to interpret as being about asexuality

Interesting video. I don't think it's necessarily about asexuality though.

A lot of songs aren't about romance or sex. Personally I like most Owl City songs like this one:

Edit: Upon listening to rainbow veins again it occurred to me it's probably about romance, but the reason I like it is for it's observations about the world, not it's romantic implications. Owl City's most popular song is probably Fireflies(which isn't about sex or romance), but I think a lot of his other songs are just as good or better.

Double Edit: It might not be about romance, it's very vague.

Sapphire Rose

What about songs that skip the romance part?

Swing Life Away by Rise Against is a great one that isn't about sex or (romantic) love. There are a lot out there that aren't about sex or love though - quite hard to name all the ones I know.

I dont know how many times I'll mention Rammstein in a music topic, but they're a nice band of metaphors beneath innuendo. Artists where scratching the surface just won't do. Lots of songs about sex & relationships, good songs, but plenty of writing that allows viewers to find their own meaning. I tend to see "relationship" songs to be about the power handle with governments and citizens (lol) because, as if I'd listen to a love song.

I like black/death/suicidal depressive metal/ alt rock and you'll definitely come across some songs about love, but lots about other "things". I'm a bit hooked on Celtic Frost's "Dying God Coming into Human Flesh" (real fun n' cheery) and always, "Amber" by Dir en Grey. Idk. Because, doesnt anything not about sex technically constitute as being "asexual" music? "Falling Snow" by Agalloch is one of my other favorites. Um anything from Marilyn Manson's "Holy Wood" album (most of its just politics and hatred, the usual) especially tacks 7, 8, 10, 15. Lifelover is another favorite band ... those lyrics can be a slippery slope, but "Svart Galla" and "Cancertid" are a few favorites, a bit scary though apparently (*painful screaming noises*).

love yourself.. it talk about self pleasure ahahah!

jst kidding, try f**k the police, lose yourself, not afraid, no sleep , black n yellow, work hard play hard by wiz khalifa. nae nae, hit the quan, crank that, teach me how to dougie, fresh like dougie, booty me down. 23 by mike will made it. lolly, dawin- just girly things, life of the party. willow smith- whip my hair. skrillex- try it out. yeah. maybe try sean kingston-fire burning. try dubstep there is no love actually, no words and try rap styled songs. dont listen to jazz and disco. if u want rock, maybe u should try skyit drive-eris and dysnomia. try k pop or j rock. it is something u dont understand, so even if they talk about love and sex, u wouldnt feel like they are talking about it.

do not listen to taylor, mileym selena.

'Leave Out All The Rest' by Linkin Park is my fave song and even before I knew I was asexual I have always seen the words as being sung to a friend, and you don't have to stretch it to fit a platonic relationship, it just fits.

The song works for all kinds of people, he could be singing to anyone who cares about him.

All the band come together at the end too, when he's alone and then they all stand with him.

Siimo van der fietspad

My choir have been rehearsing recently 'Heroes' by Alesso (as an Russian-harmonied a capella in combination with the Bowie original it is a tribute to) and the lyrics struck me as being very relevant to asexuals: 'we could hide away in daylight...got a secret side in plain sight...everyday people do everyday things but I can't be one of them...I know you hear me now, we are a different kind...they don't see it because they don't understand'. Of course the song is actually about the genius of Bowie, but it's got a different meaning for me

(specifically, what elevates it above the usual landfill pop is the wonderful move from the initial F major to the clash of the Aminor7(no3rd) chord right after it, and then the move to D minor. In SATB harmony, it sounds thrilling on open voices in a resonant space.)

Moulettes I'll mention again, a mixture of folk themes, rock and fantasy. Yes, some songs are about relationships, but the sexy stuff is never mentioned directly.

Dodecahedron314

8tracks.com is great for this kind of thing, if you look through their ace and aro tags. In all honesty, that's pretty much all I use 8tracks for at this point, although when I have nothing to do I tend to make some really odd playlist collections that I may or may not ever actually listen to (looking at you, 72-playlist WTNV fanmix collection). Anyway, here are my personal favorites of those:

Cake Mix - Ace-specific songs

NO ROMO - Aro-specific songs (I know you're not aro, but you included romance in the list of things you were tired of hearing in songs, so here you go)

Nope - If you put the previous two collections into a Venn diagram, this is what would be in the middle.

Hmm, it seems like this topic comes up fairly frequently, maybe I should just put these in my signature...

DannyFenton123

Here's another Of Monsters and Men that isn't about romance. It's beautiful, one of my favourite pieces from them :)

I've been obsessed with A-OK lately. Its a song about asexuality..

Me too ! :D

This is the trippiest song I've seen in a while. Thanks Ashley Mardell I guess

I listen to a lot of video game music (like from Sonic and Pokemon) that have no lyrics and good to listen to. If you want songs that have lyrics, I suggest bands like Simple Plan, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace (those bands have some songs that hint romance, but a lot do not).

All star by Smashmouth

I didn't post this, had my account hijacked by ace "friends" last night, but as I'm here I'll list a few off the top of my head: Pixies' "Planet of Sound" (about an alien visiting the solar system), Nirvana's "Aneurysm" (about taking too much drugs), Breeders' "Iris" (about menstration apparently).

I could go on forever, most of my favourite songs are non romantic/sexual.

SHargentum1895

Oh No! by Marina and the Diamonds- this is a bit sterotypical? but I really identified with the lyrics for a long time so this is really special to me. Marina and the Diamonds has pretty good songs I think

I think Fall Out Boy has a lot of good songs that isn't asexual too. My favorites are Immortals, Centuries, I don't care, Phoenix

Oh No! by Marina and the Diamonds- this is a bit sterotypical? but I really identified with the lyrics for a long time so this is really special to me. Marina and the Diamonds has pretty good songs I think

I think Fall Out Boy has a lot of good songs that isn't asexual too. My favorites are Immortals, Centuries, I don't care, Phoenix

I like Marina and the Diamonds too.

I listen to various kind of music here's a few of them:

Mika - Grace Kelly/ Popular song/ Elle me dit

Moby - Extreme ways (remix)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

4 Non Blondes - What's up

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

The Decemberists - Sons and Daughters

Remi Zero - Somebody Save me

Alex Gaudino - Destination Calabria

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Throw Away Your Television

Smash Mouth - Walkin' On The Sun/ Why Can't We Be Friends

Robert Francis - Baby Was The Devil

The Offspring - All I want

Don Felder - Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)

Interpol - Pioneer To The Falls

Kid Cudi - Day 'N' Nite

Weird Al Yankovic - Trapped In The Drive-Thru/ Party In The CIA/ Perform This Way

Deadboy And The Elephantmen - Stop, I'm Already Dead

Josh Canova - The Wish

And a few Japanese Music: most of them taken from Anime Opening and endings

Nico Touches The Walls - Broken Youth/ Diver/

Long Shot Party - Distance

Diana Garnet - Spinning World

Flow - Sign

Vacuum Hollow - Rainbow

I love Regina Spektor's Folding Chair.

The part where she says

"Maybe one day you will understand

That I want nothing from you
But to sweetly hold your hand
Til that day just please don't be so down
Don't make frowns
You silly clown"

This is very much how I feel when I am with my romantic partner because I really just want to hold his hand and nothing more.

breakup songs :P (I'm guessing that's more aromantic than asexual)

If you really need 125% romance free songs you might have to resort to the political / nautical / military / work related fields? - There used to be a decent political alternative- / punk rock scene. And its luckily at least all over Youtube.

Even if you aren't digging for riot folk, you might spot a few ancient songs performed over and over (like "Foggy Dew" or "Derelict"). The country & western realm should hold a few romance free songs too.

Wouldn't most music be asexual? Sure, a lot of music is about romance, but that is not explicitly sexual in all cases.

I was surprised about how many songs are actually sexual. Of course I find nonsexual nonromantic songs to be generally be the most interesting. There are so many things in their world to write songs about. It actually seems quite boring that all people seem to write about is romance and sex.

^^^ Good self love song!

There are a lot of songs by Halestorm that are about self empowerment and non romantic/sexual relationships.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it's just me, but the song Me, Myself & I by G-eazy seems like it could be considered an ace song.

Archived