onemanonewoman.com TAKE 2

Worthless Poster

Do you gain anything out of treating me like a two year old and telling me where to post things?

The possibility that you and others might post things in the correct place from now on? Post things in the places they belong and I'll stop complaining.

Worthless Poster

The "right" place is a totally arbitrary definition. It's up to the poster's discretion. This is where I chose to put it. If I had to do it all over again, this is STILL where I'd put it. If everyone put everything that wasn't EXACTLY to the word related to the description of the subforum, Off-A would be so busy no one would be able to deal with it. So we disagree on our judgment on what belongs there, so what? I disagree where some posts are too, but of all the things in the world to worry about, that's about the least of them, so seriously, get over it.

And I often click on a highlighted forum and the only updated post doesn't interest me. It's not a big deal at all. It happens.

The "right" place is a totally arbitrary definition. It's up to the poster's discretion.

So I can post links to bizarre Flash animations I found in this subforum, and links to places I saw asexuality popping up in the Welcome subforum, and fantasy art I've drawn in the Visibility and Education subforum?

Cool. I'll get right on it.

If everyone put everything that wasn't EXACTLY to the word related to the description of the subforum, Off-A would be so busy no one would be able to deal with it.

This is farther off from the stated purpose than "exactly."

Worthless Poster
So I can post links to bizarre Flash animations I found in this subforum, and links to places I saw asexuality popping up in the Welcome subforum, and fantasy art I've drawn in the Visibility and Education subforum?

Sure, if you wanted to. Go right on ahead, it's your choice.

Sure, if you wanted to. Go right on ahead, it's your choice.

Except. . . it's not okay. The main forum is divided up into subforums for a reason: namely, to make particular kinds of information and discussions easier to find. I want to read about asexual relationships, I go to that subforum; I want to read about visiblity, I go to that subforum; I want a big potluck of miscellaneous asexuality related things, I go to the General Asexual Rantings subforum. It's a good system: it breaks up the information here into managable, useful chunks. You, in fact, even nearly make an argument in favor of it when you complain that Off-A would be too busy. Too busy = too many threads in one place = implicit argument for subforums.

Forums with too much OT-ness, in fact, tend to lose traffic, and while AVEN isn't at that point currently, a) OT-ness still wastes time and B) things like this tend to snowball. People see OT threads, assume OT-ness is okay, and post more OT threads. And then others see those, and assume it's even more okay, and thus the problem gets bigger.

It takes a whopping handful of one-time clicks to post threads in their proper place, and it helps keep the forums neat and makes them more useful. No, the subforum descriptions aren't as precise as a legal code, but they're not hopelessly vague, especially when coupled with the context of this being an asexuality board. And the description for this subforum pretty clearly labels it as a forum for the political and philosophical ramifications of asexuality.

The most that can be done at this point is for AVENguy to move the topic.

We try to put our new threads where we think they'll fit in best. Sometimes people don't agree on where a thread should go, or someone puts a thread in the wrong place. It happens. If it didn't, we would all be robots.

No need to get into an argument over it o_O

Archived