Little Mentions 2016

CosineTheCat

This is the area where you post things that might not deserve its own thread.

Modly note: If a letter "a" appears in your post, that means I have not archived it yet and I am marking it for myself. It's hard to keep up with where I left off in this thread. :P Gracias! ~ scarlet

• Like 2

The Dublin Inquirer

ROE: TEACHING THE CHILDREN WELL AND NAVIGATING CRUSHES

Advice Column

Get books about gay, lesbian, queer and asexual kids. Gets books about trans kids. Get books that show bodies that are soft and curvy as well as long and skinny. Get books about kids who are confused, and happy, and kids who are just trying to figure it out.

From day one, teach them about consent.

Teach them about consent. For parents of young men, TEACH THEM ABOUT CONSENT AS IF THEIR LIVES DEPEND ON IT, BECAUSE THE LIVES OF OTHER PEOPLE DO. Young men do not understand the power they will soon hold over women and the fear they will soon be able to inspire in women.

• Like 9

Saw this on my FB. I like dropping hints about my asexuality on my FB without coming right out to say it (anyone that knows about asexuality must have fond out by now). So, I shared it.

10689479_10200510168954491_1082353660922

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200510168954491&set=a.1103257119397.12553.1765824078&type=3&theater

• Like 9

It sounds exactly like a Tumblr post (ladywordfighter.tumblr.com/post/109994794448/reblog-if-youre-openly-gay-lesbian-bisexual) I've seen only is adapted to FB slang. It's great that it has spreaded to other social platforms but I don't like how they don't give the credit to the person that originally posted that, it's really rude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From To Be Or Not To Be, a 2013 choose your own adventure novel by Ryan North:

tumblr_mr7qugjDhr1qe0eulo1_1280.jpg

• Like 9

Videnskab.dk is a Danish site with popular science neiws. It has a section with questions from the readers.

One question is (my translation):"Is it dangerous not to have sex?" http://videnskab.dk/sporg-videnskaben/er-det-farligt-ikke-fa-sex

The general answer from the experts is "No, unless..." and then they use the word asexual in a correct and neutral context:

(translated again) "(...).The 'dangerous' thing about celibacy is probably the societal expectations and ideals which threaten to make the asexual stressed or upset."

:cake:

• Like 3
CosineTheCat

Student work explores human identities in Current 8 show

The SunFlower

2016/03/03

In her drawing with the watercolors, Noire represents asexuality, which she identifies as. Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction, which is something one in 100 adults identifies as, according to a CNN study.

The other piece with the silk screen represents depression and post-traumatic stress.

“I created work based around these topics because they seem to be things people don’t want to talk about, and I want to start that conversation,” Noire said. “Both are so important and are marginalized, especially asexuality.”

• Like 2
CosineTheCat

Rights Report: Week of February 29, 2016

Publisher Weekly

2016/02/29

Zareen Jaffery from Simon & Schuster has acquired Kathryn Ormsbee's contemporary YA novel, Tash Hearts Tolstoy, about a teen dealing with sudden Internet fame after her web series is nominated for an award, bringing out the critics and her own self-doubt, while she better acquaints herself and those around her with her asexuality and prepares to meet her long-term Internet crush. Publication is slated for summer 2017; Beth Phelan at the Bent Agency negotiated the deal for world English rights.

^^ looks like a new books coming out about asexuality :D

• Like 2
CosineTheCat

The Nation Online

Sex problems within the family

2016/03/05

How does the family or the society deal with culpable and blameless abominations. From the “born that way”, “made that way”, “ended that way” to the asexual that has no sexual appetite, no sexual feelings, no sexual attractions, no sexual capacity how do we live in peace and harmony, how do we tolerate or endure, how do we understand and live and let live, how do we prevent hurt and damages, how do we support and heal and help to change the aberrant? All these, and more, are 21C questions.
CosineTheCat

Fool’s Journey: A Tarot Reading for Restlessness

autostraddle

advice column

2016/03/09

Part of me worries that this is a different type of restlessness than my usual drive for connection and adventure. That the direction I’m looking for is actually me running away after a recent break up. (Being broken up with is another new thing for me — my asexuality makes dating complicated/infrequent)
  • 2 weeks later...
CosineTheCat
2016/03/16
The Daily Beast
When you listen to the Dusty Springfield original of “Son of a Preacher Man,” falling for the said-son sounds like a lot of fun—“the only boy who could ever teach me/Was the son of a preacher man”—with all those joyous trumpets, the clarion encouragement of Springfield’s backing singers, and the delicious promise of “stealing kisses with me on the sly.”
CosineTheCat

Supergirl Cast and Crew Talk Feminism, Superhero Crossovers, and LGBTQ+ Characters at PaleyFest

The Mary Sue

2016/03/14

The cast and crew of CBS’ Supergirl recently took the stage for Day 3 of PaleyFest in Los Angeles. During their presentation, they talked aboutSupergirl‘s feminism, whether we can expect to see some LGBTQ+ characters, and the upcoming Supergirl/The Flash crossover!
This is Argon!

I just discovered Twitter's @magicrealismbot. It randomly generates a short story every two hours. Turns out they have a recent post that reads:

A prince invents a better version of sexual intercourse: doing nothing at all.

I know it's not a direct reference to asexuality, but it made me laugh. This bot has directly mentioned asexuality in the past though.

A pope decrees that everyone must try to destroy asexuality.

• Like 2
CosineTheCat
Bustle
2016/03/24
Of the many sexual and relationship choices available to us today, there’s one we don’t talk about all that much: celibacy. And while some people are celibate because they haven’t met someone they want to have sex with who also wants to have sex with them, there are others who have consciously chosen to be celibate. Yup, you read that right: There are people out there who are choosing not to have sex, even though they theoretically could.
  • Like 2
Frigid Pink
Bustle
2016/03/24
Of the many sexual and relationship choices available to us today, there’s one we don’t talk about all that much: celibacy. And while some people are celibate because they haven’t met someone they want to have sex with who also wants to have sex with them, there are others who have consciously chosen to be celibate. Yup, you read that right: There are people out there who are choosing not to have sex, even though they theoretically could.

Wow, great article! :cake:

I especially like this part:

"But before we dive into why they’re choosing to be celibate, I want to pause for a second and point out that celibacy — for whatever reason — is a totally valid choice. Sex positivity is a nice big umbrella that includes any and all sexual choices that are healthy and consensual. Choosing not to have sex definitely falls under that category, just like choosing to have sex with a lot of different people or choosing to have sex with only one person does. The only time that any of those choices become problematic is when they’re not choices but something that’s being forced on a person by someone else."

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
CosineTheCat

PRIDE then and now

VCReporter

2016/04/07

This collection is part of a larger body of work Bromberger and Hoover have amassed in more than three decades of documenting the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual (LGBTQIA) community. The black and white photos on display are from their “San Francisco Gay and Lesbian Freedom Day Parade: 1984-1990” series, and they show several faces of the movement. Interspersed with pierced and leather-clad (or not-so-clad) parade participants and the unforgettable “Dykes on Bikes” are images of couples embracing, groups celebrating, children, parents, and protesters. There’s anger and a certain defiance here, to be sure, but there’s also hope and love, joy and celebration.

There was a piece on woman's hour on radio 4 which briefly mentions asexuality. It's about gender identity focusing on why the majority of people referred to a clinic in London were born female. It mentions being asexual as one possible reason why people might be transgender.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0766h2s

• 2 weeks later...
Marshmallow Tree

The TV show "Plebs" mentioned asexuality, but got it wrong and confused it with celibacy :|

"I always thought he was fully asexual, like a monk or a (?)plate."

The TV show "Plebs" mentioned asexuality, but got it wrong and confused it with celibacy :|

Confused or compared?

Marshmallow Tree

Confused or compared?

It says right there.

Éadweard

Confused or compared?

It says right there.

I'm asking if you know the difference because the sentence looks to me like it may be comparing similarities. Sometimes people do that when explaining something. Ya know.

Confused or compared?
It says right there.
I'm asking if you know the difference because the sentence looks to me like it may be comparing similarities. Sometimes people do that when explaining something. Ya know.

I believe confused is accurate. The quote says that the person is completely asexual, "like a monk or a plate(?)."

I think the point they're trying to make is "I always thought this guy was asexual. As in, the way that monks are asexual." This would be confusing asexuality with celibacy, as monks are celibate (some monks could be asexual, but the requirement to be a monk is celibacy not asexuality). The connotation is monk=asexual, guy=asexual. In truth, monk=celibate. And then they said plate (most likely). Which is asexual and celibate, but it's also purely meant for comedic effect so doesn't really deserve further analysis...

So, yes, it's a comparison, but an inaccurate one as they confused celibacy with asexuality.

Double post, apologies