• Announcements

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SkyWorld

AVEN Elections Part 2: Other Concerns (w/ poll)

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should there be bio guidelines?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  2. 2. Should campaigning be changed?

• More restrictive
    • Less restrictive
    • Keep the same (please see OP)
    • Don't care
  3. 3. Should we rid of elections and let the new mods/PT/DT be chosen by their respective teams?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  4. 4. Should admods and DT have term limits?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  5. 5. If admods and DT have term limits and it ends, should they rerun or have a vote of confidence?

• Rerun in an election
    • Vote of confidence
    • Don't care
  6. 6. When PT term ends, should they rerun or have a vote of confidence?

• Rerun in an election
    • Vote of confidence
    • Don't care

SkyWorld

**This is a two part discussion/poll to help keep things organized and less confusing. Please keep this thread on the topic of AVEN elections OTHER THAN requirements and election lengths, for the discussion regarding election requirements and lengths, please see here**

About two months ago, we have had an AVEN Elections Discussion with the members. Unfortunately, this topic has gotten buried and forgotten, as well as December being a very busy month for everyone. I have brought this subject back up because I'm aware that some of the members are aware that sometimes we bring up something and nothing actually gets changed because it gets lost and forgotten. I'm trying to break that habit.

In regards of the current campaigning rules, you can find them here.

What are mods, PT, and DT? They are teams, part of the AVEN staff. Mods is short for moderators, PT is to Project Team, and DT is to Declassification Team.

Thank you for your time! :)

AshleyLycoris
Members are not allowed to post baseless and harmful accusations and/or rumours on any candidates in the election thread, in the chatroom, or any other part of the forums. This is covered by our rules against slander/libel and personal attacks in the Terms of Service, which protect all members.

Does the "members" here include Admin/Mods? If it does, then are "Admin/Mods" allowed to express how a member used to work or not work with them while being a part of the team? Are they["mods/Admins"] allowed to bring up past issues with said person wanting to run?

SkyWorld
Members are not allowed to post baseless and harmful accusations and/or rumours on any candidates in the election thread, in the chatroom, or any other part of the forums. This is covered by our rules against slander/libel and personal attacks in the Terms of Service, which protect all members.

Does the "members" here include Admin/Mods? If it does, then are "Admin/Mods" allowed to express how a member used to work or not work with them while being a part of the team? Are they["mods/Admins"] allowed to bring up past issues with said person wanting to run?

Admods are members too, so it does include them. Honestly, I'm not too sure how to answer the rest of your questions. I honestly don't think I've even been a mod (or member) long enough to give you the best answer. :(

Janus DarkFox
A lot of things are fogotten about as theres no reminder as to when disscussions surpass its deadline. One way is to perhaps designate an Admin to use some kind of off site reminder for such, a Calender reminder (As Aven has like an Events calender or most Windows PC does) or make use of any chap or freely available Databasing software to keep track of such things, with the right experties and a good understanding of AVEN's backroom workings, it can be rather straight forward to do such.

Robin L

About the votes of confidence: Members can not see what an admod does in the back room. They might be good in public but awful in the back room, or vice versa. If this were the case, it may be better to have two votes, one in public and one in the backroom.

Alternatively, the vote of confidence may not even be necessary. An admod should've done something horrible if they fail the confidence vote. Therefore, using the current system of reporting admod incidents to an(other) admin maybe be the best drama-less route.

SkyWorld

A lot of things are fogotten about as theres no reminder as to when disscussions surpass its deadline. One way is to perhaps designate an Admin to use some kind of off site reminder for such, a Calender reminder (As Aven has like an Events calender or most Windows PC does) or make use of any chap or freely available Databasing software to keep track of such things, with the right experties and a good understanding of AVEN's backroom workings, it can be rather straight forward to do such.

Right, drafting the next post for the Bi-Weekly Bulletin was my only reminder to previous discussions. I actually like your idea of using the Calendar as a reminder for such things. Anyone, even members, can add events to the calendar.

Nai

It'd be great if there were bio guidelines. The first time I ran for moderator, I had to look through previous elections to get an idea of what to write. I really had no clue how I was supposed to go about it. Guidelines would save a lot of trouble for people running in elections.

To be honest I don't care whether or not the admod team has term limits, but I do agree with everything Robin said.

SkyWorld

Alright, I'm going to add my thoughts to this again since it's been a while. These are my own individual thoughts and not on behalf of the team and yada yada yada~~~

From top to bottom...

1. Should there be bio guidelines?

Yes, I feel that it would be helpful. However, I don't think it should be too restrictive about what it should contain. I appreciate the creativeness in some bio's that lets me see more of the candidates personality. I think it should be pretty loose and contain the basic, "Why do you want to be a ______?" and "Why do you think you'd be good for this position?" and so on. A word limit would be helpful as well to keep bio's from being too short or too long.

2. Should campaigning be changed?

I personally think it should be kept the same.

3. Should we rid of elections and let the new mods/PT/DT be chosen by their respective teams?

I don't know... I don't really think it would be the democratic process we currently have if we go with this. And I also fear that group bias and only selecting friends and not giving other's a chance. I know that current elections are still kind of like that, but I feel more comfortable with a wider range of people where the bias might be less likely.

4. Should admods and DT have term limits?

Hell yeah. I'm sorry... I love you guys and I have a very strong respect for all of you, this is nothing personal. I just feel that competition is good and we need that motivation for our positions and be the best team we can be and do what's best for AVEN. Once one's elected in, there's nothing stopping them (as long as they don't break the ToS or only voluntarily step down) and just stay in power. I really think that motivation is very important. If one doesn't have that motivation... I honestly do think AVEN deserves better with someone who does.

5 and 6. In regards to the vote of confidence or rerun, I'm just going to quote myself because my opinion is still the same...

Though... new election or vote of confidence, I'm not too sure. The bad thing about them both is that if it's an election, it can eat up a lot of time, if a vote of confidence, it doesn't give another person at least a chance. The good thing about them both is that for a vote of confidence, that team member can still do what they do, if an election, it can give people a chance to run. So... it's kind of like "pick your poison".

I'm still going to wait this out to think a bit more before I cast my vote in.

AshleyLycoris

About the votes of confidence: Members can not see what an admod does in the back room. They might be good in public but awful in the back room, or vice versa. If this were the case, it may be better to have two votes, one in public and one in the backroom.

Alternatively, the vote of confidence may not even be necessary. An admod should've done something horrible if they fail the confidence vote. Therefore, using the current system of reporting admod incidents to an(other) admin maybe be the best drama-less route.

So mods/admin would have two votes? Which could overwrite the vote of the members? The current system to report admod/mods incidents is really up to other admins/mods to take action. What is the percent of them[admin/mods] taking an action?

Robin L

So mods/admin would have two votes? Which could overwrite the vote of the members? The current system to report admod/mods incidents is really up to other admins/mods to take action. What is the percent of them[admin/mods] taking an action?

My proposed vote of confidence system has two separate votes: one for public members, and one in the admod backroom. If any of the two results in a decision to overturn, then the admod would be removed from office. As I understand the current admod report system, the admins first decide whether the incident has any merit of being reportable (not if they think it should be reported). Then it gets thrown to admod vote, without the reported admod.

Janus DarkFox

Right, drafting the next post for the Bi-Weekly Bulletin was my only reminder to previous discussions. I actually like your idea of using the Calendar as a reminder for such things. Anyone, even members, can add events to the calendar.
Yeah, as i see things, the Calender in AVEN isnt really getting used by anyone, if the calender was or could br Admods Only, PT and DT access, would anyone notice if that was possible? then all staff could utilize the calender secretly for staff reminders for everything potentially

Robin L

Yeah, as i see things, the Calender in AVEN isnt really getting used by anyone, if the calender was or could br Admods Only, PT and DT access, would anyone notice if that was possible? then all staff could utilize the calender secretly for staff reminders for everything potentially

When I was in admods, there was an admods-only calendar, but the software made it wonky sometimes. I am unsure how stable it is now

Janus DarkFox
Hmm... I'm not seeing a way of being able to use the Calender, even though the module is present on the main forum page. Possibly IPBoard may have it updated to become stable, have a more advanced Calender or alternatively there's many Calender and Diary software that private groups can use, or such a system can be built, such Calender group in Outlook for example can be made for such use.

Skycaptain

One point raised. I'm not sure we need a minimum number of words in a bio as different people can get their point across in fewer words than others

deltaX

1. Should there be bio guidelines?

I hesitantly voted yes to bio guidelines. My hesitation comes in because I don't think the bio guidelines shouldn't be very restrictive, just a way to get give potential candidates an idea of what to write. It can be tough to know what to write, but I do think it's important that the candidates are able to write a short bio about themselves in whatever way is most comfortable to them.

2. Should campaigning be changed?

I think it should be kept the same as it is now. I was recently declassifying the thread where a lot of the current policies were put into place, and I do think the reasons for those policies are still relevant. I won't go into details because I don't remember off the top of my head whether the thread I'm thinking of has been proofread/moved to the archives yet and I don't want to breach, but if it has maybe I'll add in a link later for reference.

3. Should we rid of elections and let the new mods/PT/DT be chosen by their respective teams?

No, I don't think so. Although AVEN elections have their problems, overall I think it's awesome that members can have some say in who their new mods will be. I have a lot of confidence that the current team would be able to pick good mods/PT/DT, but I don't think that's the best option.

4. Should admods and DT have term limits?

I voted that I don't care. I do slightly lean toward having term limits with a vote of confidence if the admod/DT wants to rerun, but I think it depends entirely on the specifics of how the term limits would be set up. For example, if we had term limits, I think they should be sufficiently long because (1) the rate of mod turnover is already a problem and (2) the mod needs long enough in their position to "prove" themselves. I would rather have no term limits than poorly executed term limits, if that makes sense.

5. If admods and DT have term limits and it ends, should they rerun or have a vote of confidence?

6. When PT term ends, should they rerun or have a vote of confidence?

I prefer a vote of confidence to re-running, but I can't really articulate why :ph34r:

Sally

are "Admin/Mods" allowed to express how a member used to work or not work with them while being a part of the team? Are they["mods/Admins"] allowed to bring up past issues with said person wanting to run?

That would be very damaging to AVEN.

Robin L

are "Admin/Mods" allowed to express how a member used to work or not work with them while being a part of the team? Are they["mods/Admins"] allowed to bring up past issues with said person wanting to run?

I can see both sides of the argument. Only admods know how another admod behaved in the backroom. An admod could be a good contributing member in public while having wrecked havoc in the backroom. On the other hand, openly disclosing this behaviour in public might lead to some unnecessary drama that we are definitely not lacking in elections.

Mysticus Insanus

I find it peculiar that the percentage for vote of confidence vs. re-election is noticeably different between admods and PT. Am I missing something there that would explain why (at least) two people chose differently between those? :huh:

deltaX

I find it peculiar that the percentage for vote of confidence vs. re-election is noticeably different between admods and PT. Am I missing something there that would explain why (at least) two people chose differently between those? :huh:

I was actually wondering this too. I guess PT is already different in that they're the only members of the staff that currently have term limits, so maybe people feel that PT elections should remain different? But I'm can't really say what the reasoning is, as I prefer vote of confidence for both.

Tanwen

And yet is is done.

SkyWorld

Thank you all who have contributed to the discussion and voted in the poll. :) It's been up for about two weeks and I think that's enough time to have gathered the feedback and discuss this with the team, but you're all more than welcome to still discuss/vote here.