How many people have you come out to?

WinterWanderer

Coming out  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you come out to?

• No one
    • 1 or 2 people
    • A few people
    • I've come out to several people
    • I've come out to a lot of people - it's not a secret at all
  2. 2. If you have come out to others, were they people who are close to you?

• I've only come out to family members
    • I've only come out to friends
    • A combination of family members and friends
    • I've only come out to people I didn't know very well/not very close friends (I.e., colleagues)
    • I've come out to family members, friends, and people I didn't know well
    • Other (explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm out to 5 people as ace: my family and 2 friends. I have only told my dad and one friend about being quoipanromantic but I will tell the other people who already know I'm ace if it were to come up.

I only came out to online people, which doesn't really count, but I was on Yahoo Answers for about a year before I came out, so I just put "No one" and "Other". Maybe I should start putting hints on Tumblr (where my sister follows me).

To a couple of people, but not family. One friend, and three coworkers as of yesterday; one asked about my asexuality coloured necklace and if that's what it meant (turns out her sister is ace) and yesterday, unexpectedly, another coworker and I got on a topic about sex, and explained that I don't have any sexual impulses and he was actually interested in it. Plus he's a pretty cool guy,so I got no hate, just interest.

kdjghrdjghjhjrhdjrghjut

I actually do not think I have ever told anybody... I mean, I "talk" about it online and stuff, but I do not really talk to anyone IRL. Well, I say random stuff and talk about randomness and other people - like the ones I'm talking to, not much but it happens, but I have nobody I talk to about the stuff that really matters. Well, I don't know if MY sexuality matters THAT much to anybody, but I mean, I have nobody to talk to about the stuff that I walk around with in MY head. :-)

Midnight Star

I don't keep it a secret at all. But I only mention it if appropriate. Fortunately since sex is a very common topic, and people keep asking my why I'm still single, I get a lot of opportunities. Also I like to think that this helps for awareness. But I am just one guy so I'm probably not doing too much.

The A+ Student

I haven't outright told anyone I'm asexual or aromantic, possibly because I've only accepted these terms for myself very recently. But I've never shown any interest in dating and have in the past shown confusion when asked who I thought was hot (and nowadays I just refuse to answer that question) so my actions may speak for themselves.

My descriptions of a future life never include a romantic partner either. I've also repeatedly told my parents I don't want kids and I'm not concerned about getting married, but I'm also sure they've never heard of aromanticism so I can't expect them to guess.

My friends, however, I expect to tell me they already knew or at least suspected if I ever decide to tell them. I'm pretty obvious I think.

I wear a pride necklace and don't really care who I mention my orientation or lack of one to sooooooo....

Truth and Lies

I told the group of online friends I used to frequently speak with very easily. Two of the people in the group are also asexual.

I have told (or tried to tell) classmates, and really, wouldn't mind telling complete strangers.

The people I won't tell are my family and anyone connected to my family. If I ever want them to know, I want to be the one to tell them, on my own terms, in my own way. As it is now, I don't want them to know. At all.

Storm Lantern

I've told my parents and siblings, and I'm out on Tumblr and Twitter. Most of my extended family couldn't care less, but I'm thinking about telling my Grandparents. Still not sure though.

I only have a few friends, and I'm still deciding if I want to tell them.

• 1 month later...

I am out to my 2 best friends and my internet friends and that's it. Im afraid to come out to my parents until I am 100% sure that I am ace. Right now im about 93%

Coming out as asexual felt less graceful than I 'd imagine myself walking in clown shoes.

I semi formally did it to one friend I hoped to be understanding and got frustrating replies. From there on I started to strictly avoid formal terms like "asexual" or all the even less understandable ones used here on AVEN.

I'm pretty open about being happily single and (for now) done with dating, until my horizon changes significantly.

I'll surely utter something about being not the most sexual guy in town to a next reason to own condoms.

I've only come out to my three siblings and my therapist. And the Internet, but never under my name so I would hardly count that.

Apart from anonymously on the internet, I've only come out to one person, a friend, and that was a few hours ago...

Yes, I just came out today. :blink:

It's not really a big secret, I just don't feel the need to tell anyone unless they ask (which this friend just so happened to do today). Surprisingly, he also accurately guessed that I was asexual.

I've mentioned going to meet ups on Facebook and mention it to anyone that has known me for any length of time (not that I bring it up but relationships etc always get spoken about eventually.)

Said it to my parents a few times but they either have selective memory or just think it's bullshit, but I'm not really bothered.

As I'm fast approaching 50, people do start asking questions, I didn't know of the term asexual until I reached 40, I just knew I didn't want to indulge in the act of sex, when people ask as to why I'm single, I just say I'm asexual, I wouldn't be able to satisfy my partners needs, hence I'm still single, some get embarrassed about it, but to me, it's a fact of life, it's a part of who I am, I can't change that, I wouldn't want to.

I applied for a job a few years ago, the application forms were generated according to details they picked up from the initial call, as I was around 43/44 at the time, the form was printed & I duly filled it out, name, address, date of birth, national insurance number, then it came to marital status, the options read as follows, married, seperated, divorced, widowed, civil partnership, co habiting/common law relationship. There was no single option, I left this section & filled out the rest of the application, during the interview, the person interviewing me mentioned that I hadn't filled in that particular section, I said it was because I am single, they said which category would best suit you then, as I've never been able to hold down a relationship, I've never been in a long term relationship, so single was the only suitable answer, I don't know what she put on there in the end, but something had to go in the box to accept it on the system, when she asked why I'm single, I said those I went with all cheated on me, being asexual, I don't crave sex, if relationships don't happen, they don't happen, it's life, we don't die if we don't have a relationship, I'm me, I came into this world on my own, I'll leave this world on my own, if I live my life on my own, so be it.

I came out to all my close friends before I even heard of the term asexual, they accept me for who I am, it doesn't bother them, I came out to my family way back in the early 80's, my mother has only recently come to terms with the fact I will be single for a long time to come, or at least not to expect grandchildren from me, my sister thinks along the same lines as my father & his side of the family, they all think I'm gay, my fathers side of the family haven't bothered with me since 1986, my father since 1989, although my sister still talks to me occasionally.

It's kind of strange. The only people I haven't directly come out to are family. Other then that, I've come out to friends, acquaintances, and complete strangers.

You know it's funny because I haven't really 'come out' to anyone offline. I mean it's not a secret it just hasn't come up.

I'm sure most of the guys in my neighborhood assume me to be a lesbian but that simply isn't the case.

I have tried to tell 1 person in my life who i dont know anymore because we dont talk to each other after we broke off the relationship although he did not understand like i thought he would so he thought something was wrong with me and i should see a doctor!

x

I lost count of the number of people I came out to well before I started wearing a t-shirt that says "CAUTION: FLAMING ASEXUAL" to school.

GengarMarmalade

I'm only out on tumblr; I only recently fully embraced my asexuality, so I haven't had occasion to tell anyone close to me. I guess I'm just waiting for the right moment or something.

rravenwings

I've only come out to my mom, a guy that I don't talk to anymore, the people in a GSA I was in, and one (or two) people in my therapy group because they coloured in something with the ace flag

Nailgun-mishap

No one, because I don't feel it to be necessary. I'm biologically female, identify as female, and I'm attracted to men and only men.

I'm not even sure if I really am asexual, I may be a sexual with an unusually low sex drive. So, I don't feel like I have anything to come out about.

I'm too nervous to tell those to whom it would matter. Yay!

i come out to people when it's relevant....that rarely happens, but a fair number of people still know. i answered that i'm out to several people, and mostly all friends.

PerformativeSurprise

I'm not sure I would classify it as "coming out," since I don't really feel like I was ever "in." I'm a private person, so I rarely talk about myself or my personal life unless prompted. That being said, even before I identified as (aro) ace, I always told people I had no interest in relationships and such; I've never dated or pretended to be interested in it. I've explicitly told some of my family, friends, and acquaintances/people I barely know. If it comes up, I talk about it, but if it isn't relevant, I likely won't bring it up just due to my personality.

• 2 months later...
SpaceShark

I have come out to my family.... And then gave my mom and brother permission to tell anybody and everybody (This way my mom explained it to her mother would is starting to have memory problems). (She is also really excited to tell other clergy at the Methodist annual conference for our jurisdiction. I have no idea why, but I have given her some conditions. [Make sure that the people who knew I was dating a fellow PK did not paint him in a negative light. I was great about the whole thing, it just didn't work.]) And my brother has told some of his friends ad our mutual friends.

So most of it wasn't me coming out personally, but telling some and let others take out with me clarifying anything that needs clarifying.

Archived