The A Is For Asexual

GreenWithEnby

Out-of interest, why not?

Why not what? (1) Why not bring up asexuality or (2) why not contact them at all?

(1) Due to the reaction to my coming out that I received from my long-time friends and acquaintances, the "legitimate" LGBT. I have a suspicion that the reaction from total strangers would be even more hostile.

(2) I actually made an attempt to approach the local community in my town, you know, to show support, to maybe offer some help, as an ally, not as a member, to make it clear. Sadly, being persecuted hadn't help them to empathize with other persecuted groups. And, as an ethnic minority, I sort of didn't make a desirable ally to them. I steer clear of the places where I am obviously not welcome.

GreenWithEnby

So, due to lots of response, I have to say that it really is complicated. I am fairly new to this community, so if I sound very uneducated, that is probably why. I have nothing against allies and would have no reason to. Perhaps they should just have one of each letter and have it stand for everything starting with that letter. But I'm not exactly the one in charge, so I can't make those decisions. I just think that the amount of recognition for each identity differs with the political climate, so I can't speak for everyone, every country, every state or providence, every area. I speak for myself in saying that I wish everything under the Ace umbrella wasn't seen as something that ONLY stems from trauma, or something that is inherently wrong. And perhaps we could get that from more recognition? I'm not sure. Nonetheless, feel free to disagree with me as, again, I'm new.

I think they shouldn't have added the B bc y add a B for bisexuals if there's no P for polysexuals and pansexuals.

Rather than being included in some movement, it would help more to have proper education in the places that provide education. This includes schools, but also online articles, youtube videos, etc. If the people giving online advice and opinion about sexuality would actually study the matter before putting something out that thousands of people will see and use to educate themselves, asexual visibility would be much less of an issue.

GreenWithEnby

I think they shouldn't have added the B bc y add a B for bisexuals if there's no P for polysexuals and pansexuals.

I was talking to my Pansexual friend and they did say that they were upset about that.

Rather than being included in some movement, it would help more to have proper education in the places that provide education. This includes schools, but also online articles, youtube videos, etc. If the people giving online advice and opinion about sexuality would actually study the matter before putting something out that thousands of people will see and use to educate themselves, asexual visibility would be much less of an issue.

X2

You won't be sent to prison for being ace, but in Russia gays are sent to prison.

That's... slightly inaccurate.

First of all, nobody was sent to prison for this... yet. De jure, the worst that happened is that some people were made to pay enormous fines for creating a support web-site for LGBT teens. De facto, others were attacked and injured, one activist lost an eye, and one more was beaten up to his death, but the government pretends that it did not have a hand in it. Like, "all we are trying to do is to protect children, we do not have anything against adult people's sex lives, those attackers are some insane savages who we do not endorse, bla-bla-bla..." Sure, that's bullshit. But, technically, while they are playing this bullshit, people are still not sent to jail just for being gay. This is not to defend the government of Russia, God forbid. This whole political situation is horrible, and has to be fought against, but can we please stick to the facts, because we already have some misinformation too many to deal with on a daily basis. Don't do the Duma's job for them, please.

Also, hate to break it to you, but the discrimination law includes asexuals. Although the "non-traditional orientation propaganda" wording is conveniently vague, it is explicitly stated in its subsidiary bill, which prohibits queer people to drive. And those asexual people in Russia, who are out, receive threats too, once threateners learn about the existence of asexuality.

Although the discrimination does include asexuals, how big are the issues of asexuals in there? I have not come across anything of substance other than anecdotes. In my experience, I do used to be in homophobic environment and no one ever cares you do not give a damn about sex. Not one cares here.

I think it's a shame when a group wants to segregate themselves from others

Some people really don't want to associate with some others because there is more negatives than positives in their cases. As one who can arguably be considered asexual as many people consider aegosexual/autochorrissexual a form of asexuality, I don't see any positives in being associated with the LGBT community at all. I actually see more negatives in there. Either way, I think we should respect people's choices on association.

I was talking to my Pansexual friend and they did say that they were upset about that.

It also makes no sense to have a B bc bisexuals and forget about an A for ambisexuals/androgynosexuals bc the various kinds of bisexuality (not only desire men and women, can desire women and another thing for example) derived from those terms.
GreenWithEnby

Why not just use the whole alphabet to make sure there's no chance of anyone ever feeling left out?

I feel about this the same way I feel about Racism (And I will probably get a lot of hate for this, but) : Every race is diverse and has different culture, languages, food, clothing, religion, language, etc. I think that, instead of erasing different cultures or separating ourselves from different cultures, we should all embrace the different cultures. We should respect and love everyone BECAUSE they are different, but should treat all people with kindness and proper respect.

I believe that if we lived in a world without homophobia, biphobia, or any sort of phobia in that category, it wouldn't be 'Straight or Gay', 'Asexual or Sexual', or 'Right or Wrong'.

It would be 'Human'. Because that is what we all are.

...Don't even get me started on Otherkin(s?) or Therians though.

Perhaps the problem is that initials are so literal. Could everybody not just share a nice colour? Or smell? Or maybe a pleasant sound, like whalesong or a kitten miaowing?

Let's also question the T bc the T should stand for the whole trans* umbrella which include androgyne, agender, neutrois (gender), neutrois (sexless), bigender+, genderfluid, intergender, third gender and intersex. Not only transgenders, transexuals and transvestites.

GreenWithEnby

Perhaps the problem is that initials are so literal. Could everybody not just share a nice colour? Or smell? Or maybe a pleasant sound, like whalesong or a kitten miaowing?

Well I heard somewhere that there is a mafia but I don't know if that's what you're looking for

GreenWithEnby

Let's also question the T bc the T should stand for the whole trans* umbrella which include agender, neurrois (gender), neutrois (sexless), bigender, genderfluid, intergender and intersex

I agree. If we can't include everything, we should at least include every umbrella.

Oh, and I looked up 'The Heterosexual Umbrella' just to see if they had one?

This picture came up.

81804132-boy-and-girl-under-mushroom-umb

I think it's a shame when a group wants to segregate themselves from others

Some people really don't want to associate with some others because there is more negatives than positives in their cases. As one who can arguably be considered asexual as many people consider aegosexual/autochorrissexual a form of asexuality, I don't see any positives in being associated with the LGBT community at all. I actually see more negatives in there. Either way, I think we should respect people's choices on association.

individual, sure. but when a group feels like they can't fit in somewhere and take action to segregate themselves from that somewhere? it's kind of a political/social commentary at that point, and I feel sad.

but an individual making a choice not to go somewhere? I mean I hope that's normal 'cause otherwise I'd have no way to operate in life :P

Let's also question the T bc the T should stand for the whole trans* umbrella which include agender, neutrois (gender), neutrois (sexless), bigender, genderfluid, intergender and intersex. Not only transgenders, transexuals and transvestites.

And two-spirited folks, which is a bigender identity specific to some indigenous North American cultures, especially the area I live in. It gets its own T or a 2S in acronyms used by some local organizations.

Let's also question the T bc the T should stand for the whole trans* umbrella which include agender, neurrois (gender), neutrois (sexless), bigender, genderfluid, intergender and intersex

I agree. If we can't include everything, we should at least include every umbrella.

This picture came up.

I think you mean the "cis dyadic" umbrella.
GreenWithEnby

Wouldn't the asexual mafia just make you an offer you 99% of the world can't get their heads around?

Perhaps, but the mafia includes EVERYONE that isn't Heterosexual/romantic or Heteronormative, not just asexuals.

This picture came up.

Ah yes, sorry. I'll be sure to use that term in the future~! Thanks!

GreenWithEnby

You're oppressing parasols now.

Oh my I apologize? Am I just oppressing parasols or is there a 'parasol umbrella' that I need to be aware of?

Wouldn't cake have to be replaced by pasta?

That stereotype is offensive to Italians and people with gluten sensitivities.

Wouldn't the asexual mafia just make you an offer you 99% of the world can't get their heads around?

Perhaps, but the mafia includes EVERYONE that isn't Heterosexual/romantic or Heteronormative, not just asexuals.

This picture came up.81804132-boy-and-girl-under-mushroom-umb

Ah yes, sorry. I'll be sure to use that term in the future~! Thanks!
Np, but srly there should be a group to support anything that doesn't fit the cis-dyadic-heteronormative umbrella like us.
GreenWithEnby

Wouldn't cake have to be replaced by pasta?

Maybe each different umbrella has their own food. For example, the Transgender umbrella has cannolis, the Asexual umbrella has cake, etc etc.

You're oppressing parasols now.

Oh my I apologize? Am I just oppressing parasols or is there a 'parasol umbrella' that I need to be aware of?

hey! why can't it be a parasol parasol :mad:

So, due to lots of response, I have to say that it really is complicated. I am fairly new to this community, so if I sound very uneducated, that is probably why. I have nothing against allies and would have no reason to. Perhaps they should just have one of each letter and have it stand for everything starting with that letter. But I'm not exactly the one in charge, so I can't make those decisions. I just think that the amount of recognition for each identity differs with the political climate, so I can't speak for everyone, every country, every state or providence, every area. I speak for myself in saying that I wish everything under the Ace umbrella wasn't seen as something that ONLY stems from trauma, or something that is inherently wrong. And perhaps we could get that from more recognition? I'm not sure. Nonetheless, feel free to disagree with me as, again, I'm new.

As I've recently mentioned in another thread, I view what is referred to as "the LGBT community" not as a monolith, but as a composite organism of several communities. Some of them collaborate with each other on certain matters, but each has an individual purpose per se. Those individual purposes often get overlooked, but they exist, and they are not limited with "do not kill us" and "let us marry people of our own sex".

Now then, the visibility of sexual/romantic/gender identities is a cause where the communities ought to collaborate, and leaving the asexual community out on the principle that "they are not persecuted" is self-contradictory. Imprisoning and executing someone is not the only form of persecution. Bullying someone into depression, self-destructing behavior and sometimes even suicide, is persecution too. Personally, I could not care less whether we have our own letter in the acronym or not. However, "don't give them a letter in the acronym" too often stands for different, way more terrible things. It stands for "don't allow them to tell teens that not wanting sex at all is normal". It stands for "don't allow them to use our V.I.P. anti-suicide hotline". It stands for "don't allow them to complain about laws which are internationally known as anti-gay, even though they are as targeted as we are". And this is the attitude I oppose, no matter the letter, no matter what.

I stand by this as an asexual person who grew up surrounded by numerous gay, bi and trans people, and was pressured by them into feeling broken, inhuman and sick, solely due to the fact that asexuality had been swept under the rug at the times of my adolescence and youth.