Numbers or Words

shockkkk

Numbers or Words  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you better at using/understanding/interpreting numbers or words?

• Words
    • Numbers

This poll is closed to new votes

Are you better at using / understanding / interpreting numbers or words?

Some of you might consider this question vague, but I'm not going to change it so if you're unsure just don't answer.

Words are far easier for me to deal with, in every way, than numbers. I'm a strongly visual person, and words fit into that. Numbers, for whatever reason, do not.

Words, but by a slim margin. The only real difference is that I'm better at word puzzles than number puzzles

Definitely numbers. I don't have a large vocabulary, and I'm pretty shit at understanding any piece of writing that isn't scientific. Even then, sometimes the words get overwhelming, to be honest. If you represent something mathematically for me, I'll have a much, much greater chance at understanding what you're writing along with it.

Numbers, they don't have all the annoying ambiguities that come with words.

I definitely have an easier time understanding and interpreting words.

I won't vote in the poll since I am in fact uncertain but...I think numbers in one way and words in another.

The question can be taken different ways. I mean numbers are easier to understand for example because they are exact.

SpiffyParadox

Words are easier for me in general. But, there are situations where numbers are easier to understand than words.

I hate numbers. I always forget numbers! I have a great memory when it comes to words and I love reading and writing, but numbers are just killing me. I used to study history in highschool and I'd remember all definitions, stories etc but dates? Not a chance, ever! I'm awful with math, chemistry, physics and history because of numbers. Dammit numbers!

Words, glorious words! :D I'm not brilliant with all things words, but I'm definitely far better with words, and generally do prefer them, to numbers! Maths fail and all that. :0

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Words. Definitely. My brain works on sounds and pictures. Like right now I can hear everything I am typing inside my head.

Numbers all look and sound the same to me.

It wasn't until I understood that mathematics doesn't all have to be numbers, that it can be pictures and sounds and concepts, that I started to enjoy maths and science.

Numbers make much more intuitive sense to me, and can kind of exist in my head in an efficient, abstract way that allows me to work with them very easily. Really, the biggest issue I have with numbers is converting them into words to communicate them to other people.

I'm saying numbers, because while I kick ass at both of them, my understanding of numbers is more above average than my way with words.

Numbers for sure! I love mathematical theories, it all just seems to click into place like magic!

Words are much more difficult, I think. It's subjective, and there aren't any direct links, and so many words that mean basically the same thing, and that's not getting into spelling and grammar at all, ah, I need to stop thinking about it, haha.

Notte stellata

I think I'm fairly good at both, but according to some criteria suggested by other posters (GRE scores and puzzle solving ability), I'm better at numbers. I also like that numbers are objective and exact.

I voted numbers because i'm better at number puzzles (sudoku-which i suppose is technically a logic puzzle not strictly numbers, sukendo, kakuro, etc) than word puzzles. it was kind of a tricky question though. i think i'm good with relations, whether they are expressed in words, numbers, pictures, whatever. i'm not so good at remembering specifics, but only at understanding how things relate to one another. i'm not that great at on-the-fly calculations either, but i think that has to do with being just generally shit at doing anything when all that's going through my head is "they're waiting on you...they're waiting on an answer....come up with an answer NOW". dammit brain, i can't think of an answer if you keep yelling at me like that.

i don't remember which section of my gre was stronger. reading and computational were pretty close, i think. my essay score was the weakest. i'm good at reading comprehension but not all that fluent at getting my ideas across. so in the end....yeah, i don't know.

Grumpy Alien

Words. I don't understand numbers.

verily-forsooth-egads

Words or numbers? Yes.

Well, they're different things, aren't they? Depends on the context. I don't have any particular problem with either.

mustardblood

I find it more difficult to interpret numbers as words have meaning and you can use clues to get deeper meanings while numbers are just abstract concepts to me

Seraphina Willow

I think I'm one of the few people who are nearly equal with both. I like words more, but I'm just as good with numbers, maybe better, actually. I can do sudoku but not crosswords. I'm confused...

If by numbers you also mean equations? Then yes, absolutely. I can understand in moments from an equation what would take 20-30 minutes of explaining in words.

According to the GRE, I'm better with words.

According to the GRE, so am I, and yet I excel at graduate math and physics, not at written communication.

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

AshenPhoenix, Census Forum Moderator

Archived