_The Go Bang Theory_

chair jockey

If your parents say "You just haven't met the right person" only once, that's one thing. But when it becomes an unfunny sitcom that airs in your house every week, I call it _The Go Bang Theory_. :D

Bazzoople penni

shelldun pls

I assume your talking about the big bang theory? Im glad im not the only sane one here ;)

Well, now I'm just going to be imagining a canned laugh-track in my head, every time someone gives me that speech!

(I feel like this would be a great youtube series actually, just aces dealing with dumb acephobic nonsense and getting up to shenanigans lol)

I just chalked it up to Sheldon being Demi.

Regardless, I had one eye on the TV and the other buried in the New York Times si I wasn't giving it my full attention.

My first therapist basically told me the only way to 'get over' fear of sex/sex avoidance/asexual confusion - was just to have sex!.....REALLY!

true story!

My first therapist basically told me the only way to 'get over' fear of sex/sex avoidance/asexual confusion - was just to have sex!.....REALLY!

true story!

My therapist told me that I just need to "find The One" and I'd stop being aromantic...Thanks for the respect, lady -_-

Some sex-loving people swear sex is the ultimate wonder potion that can cure all different sexual orientations then theyrs.They refuse to look further then theyre nose lenght to be honest.

The worst thing that happened to me was a male co worker trying to convert me by using sex talk "to get me in the mood"

We were at work here...

Its a sad world, isnt it?

So i made up this brilliant plan to buy my future partner a puppy to cuddle with and a blow up doll to keep them happy.

And myself brand new nintendo games and a headphone to keep myself happy!

Anthracite_Impreza

Lol xD

I've never been told in such blatant terms, but a few people have tried to persuade me to engage in coitus. Needless to say I told them where to stick it ;)

Thank goodness this Sheldonesque person here doesn't have to live with pushy, disrespectful people. The joy of having my own flat to myself!!!

Also very glad that R. never once was pushy to me like Amy is to Sheldon while we were together (much as we otherwise had a bunch of similarities to their 'ship).

I'm honestly really dissapointed in the writers and producers of that show. I think it started out very promissing the first few seasons, then when Amy in particular came into the picture it became about normalizing these characters (especially Sheldon).

While it's totally possible that Sheldon is demisexual and I like the fact that they've never given Sheldon any labels, I feel that they've missed the chance to show what else, what more, a relationship can be. That it CAN be intimate without sex. That there are many ways to form friendships and other relationsips than what is shown on screen 99 % of the time. There are many ways TO LOVE! And I feel that this was the perfect show to do that and these were the perfect characters, altough they are mostly weird stereotypes.

Maybe I expected too much of a primetime sitcom...?

But now it has just reinforced the "you just haven't met the right one yet" believe. And again reinforced the idea that you can only live a happy life if it includes romantic interests, sex etc. It could have set the example that it's okay to be different than the norm (i.e not want sex, not want to get married, be a female scientist, be an artist) and that you are an important part of the world anyway.

I guess that was kind of rant... I just don't understand why they would give in to the norm pressure.

It's likely just me, but I actually thought the entire interaction between Sheldon and Amy was sweet. It frustrated me over the last few seasons that Amy was pressuring Sheldon so much and infringing on his choice to not have sex.

While I would have been happy with Sheldon and Amy continuing to not have sex, I feel that this story arch could also be used as a teachable moment, it just depends on how the writers play out the show from here. I still consider Sheldon asexual as he has never really seemed sexually attracted to any person. He chose to have sex with a person he loves for that person. Even the comment of "I look forward to doing this again on your next birthday" heavily implies that Sheldon is not overly interested in sex and would prefer not to have sex. I do wish there was better asexual representation in the media, but at least there is this on facet which we can use and we can use it to teach. I can imagine a conversation with a sexual person:

Me: Sheldon Cooper is asexual.

Person: But Sheldon and Amy had sex.

Me: Yes, they did. But asexuality is about who someone is sexually attracted to and not necessarily with whom they have sex.

Also, I was actually very happy with Sheldon making Amy explicitly give consent as it's something that is rarely seen in the media.

true story!

My therapist told me that I just need to "find The One" and I'd stop being aromantic...Thanks for the respect, lady -_-

How do therapists get away with saying things like that? Therapists aren't supposed to be judgmental, and should've done a better job listening to what you both were saying, understanding that how you feel about sex or romance don't need to be changed.

I've dealt with pushy people too, who tried to convince me I was repressed, or in denial, and that they were trying to "awaken my sexuality". This used to happen a lot with the same people. It was like an unfunny sitcom if others had been watching!

I hadn't kept up with The Big Bang Theory in a long time, and I'm kind of disappointed that Sheldon and Amy did have sex. It would've been great to show a character who is happy to never have sex, and never give in, because so often when there is a character in the media who doesn't want sex, they often do end up having it anyways. I didn't see those particular episodes, but I saw earlier episodes where she was pressuring him. Someone can be asexual and have sex, and maybe he did become comfortable with the idea over time on his own, but because of all of the previous episodes where he was nagged about it by her, it still seems to me more like he gave in.

There's a distinction between having sex to please someone because they're okay with it, vs. having it to please someone out of obligation, fear, or caving in, but seldom is that distinction made clear in the media when this kind of situation happens.

I'm honestly really dissapointed in the writers and producers of that show. I think it started out very promissing the first few seasons, then when Amy in particular came into the picture it became about normalizing these characters (especially Sheldon). While it's totally possible that Sheldon is demisexual and I like the fact that they've never given Sheldon any labels, I feel that they've missed the chance to show what else, what more, a relationship can be. That it CAN be intimate without sex. That there are many ways to form friendships and other relationsips than what is shown on screen 99 % of the time. There are many ways TO LOVE! And I feel that this was the perfect show to do that and these were the perfect characters, altough they are mostly weird stereotypes. Maybe I expected too much of a primetime sitcom...? But now it has just reinforced the "you just haven't met the right one yet" believe. And again reinforced the idea that you can only live a happy life if it includes romantic interests, sex etc. It could have set the example that it's okay to be different than the norm (i.e not want sex, not want to get married, be a female scientist, be an artist) and that you are an important part of the world anyway. I guess that was kind of rant... I just don't understand why they would give in to the norm pressure.

This show does show different ways to love people. Being Asexual doesn't mean never having sex. Despite what happened, Sheldon continues to be an Asexual. He still doesn't like have sex despite the good experience and will do it only next year. And Amy is a demi-sexual and that is why she craves for intimacy with Sheldon.

I actually love Penny-Sheldon relationship more than anybody else's on the show. They are so close and very open despite having opposite qualities. That is why despite Penny not having a degree- Sheldon likes her. And Penny is ready to live in a different house even though she is married now. This is the best Platonic relationship I have seen. Also don't forget that they have shown some romantic gestures to each other in the past, so I would like to think of it as a romantic platonic relationship.

P.S.- I couldn't watch Sheldon's sex scenes, cant even watch him kissing. Maybe because I am an Ace and hence feels weird. Although I can watch other characters kiss/do sex, I am indifferent to their acts.

It's likely just me, but I actually thought the entire interaction between Sheldon and Amy was sweet. It frustrated me over the last few seasons that Amy was pressuring Sheldon so much and infringing on his choice to not have sex.

While I would have been happy with Sheldon and Amy continuing to not have sex, I feel that this story arch could also be used as a teachable moment, it just depends on how the writers play out the show from here. I still consider Sheldon asexual as he has never really seemed sexually attracted to any person. He chose to have sex with a person he loves for that person. Even the comment of "I look forward to doing this again on your next birthday" heavily implies that Sheldon is not overly interested in sex and would prefer not to have sex. I do wish there was better asexual representation in the media, but at least there is this on facet which we can use and we can use it to teach. I can imagine a conversation with a sexual person:

Me: Sheldon Cooper is asexual.

Person: But Sheldon and Amy had sex.

Me: Yes, they did. But asexuality is about who someone is sexually attracted to and not necessarily with whom they have sex.

Also, I was actually very happy with Sheldon making Amy explicitly give consent as it's something that is rarely seen in the media.

I agree with you. Sheldon didn't say he desired to have sex with Amy but he wanted to do that for her. And we definitely have to remember to defferentiate between sexual orientation and sexual behavior which I think the writers actually did.

I think there have been many sweet moments between Amy and Sheldon that are unique to them and their quirkiness.

And I too really love the relationsship between Penny and Sheldon, it's very endearing and loving in its own way.

However, I feel that they have spent the last couple on developing these romantic relationships and more or less abandoned all other aspects and relationships these characters have. On another note, I don't think Raj has had any storyline this season at all and I don't remember anything noticeable about Howard and Bernadette. Maybe it's not so much about the story about sexuality and romance and what's normal that's bothering me. Maybe I just feel like the show isn't that good anymore on a general level.

Yes, it was awesome that Sheldon made Amy give verbal consent! And because it was Sheldon, who's so literate and meticulous and doesn't want to make mistakes, it just really showcased how rarely that's done and how often it's just a blurry line that the media doesn't feel need to be defined.

Also, I love your idea of using it for education! So many people are watching it so that's creates a big forum.

However, I feel that they have spent the last couple on developing these romantic relationships and more or less abandoned all other aspects and relationships these characters have. On another note, I don't think Raj has had any storyline this season at all and I don't remember anything noticeable about Howard and Bernadette. Maybe it's not so much about the story about sexuality and romance and what's normal that's bothering me. Maybe I just feel like the show isn't that good anymore on a general level.

In the past the show was funny/interesting because of the conflicts between friends or couples. Now the characters are able to understand each other and compromise. They are trying to wrap up the show by next season and that's why they want to resolve all the situations. They want to give a good closure to the audience so that the show can RIP :)

Archived