live

binary suns

live  

1. 1. live

• live as in live in a house
    • live as in live wires
    • other

This poll is closed to new votes

whenever I read the word 'live' and it's actually pronounced as in 'live wires' I have to reread the sentence lol

on maybe not everytime but it's never the other way around.

This is an example of me being a time traveller, in order to get forward in the sentence but the mind does this so quickly, it is indistinguishable that we actually went forward in time.

As English is not my first language, for me the more "natural" use is live as in live music.

Both pronunciations are correct. The joys of the English language, it's like bow has entirely different pronunciations according to context

I don't pronounce it unless I am reading from a script or otherwise reading aloud, and then it depends solely upon context. If I see the word in a vacuum, I assume it could go either way until I see any other words framing it. I guess if I saw a full sentence one word at a time, I might make the wrong assumption, but I can't think of a case where that would happen. Unless the font is far too large, I'll see the rest of the sentence at the same time as I see the word "live", so I'll know the context.

My first instinct is to pronounce the word like "live in a house," but if context clues tell me otherwise, I can adjust immediately and catch myself before I do so.

I said 'live' as in 'live in a house' before, but now everytime I see the thread title I read it the other way!

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

AshenPhoenix, Census Forum Moderator

Archived