Post formatting

Robin L

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you format your posts?

• Plain text all the way, because minimalism?
    • Basic bolding or italics, or some emotes, just to spruce it up a bit
    • The default font style and color is boring. I'm changing that.

This poll is closed to new votes

This is something I have been wondering for a while. Out of all the buttons in the post formatting toolbar, I have only ever used a couple of the buttons. Most of the time I use the plain text editor.

EDIT: emotes are now in the second option

I appreciate a post that is both well-written and formatted for clarity. Spelling, punctuation, and grammar are as important as effects when you're trying to communicate your thoughts. Brevity helps, too.

Plain all the way! Though I will use bold or italic to emphasize things sometimes. (So maybe I should've chosen the second option? Ah well...)

Notte stellata

95% of the time I only use plain text. 5% of the time I use bolding or italics on a few words I want to emphasize. I wonder how some people can consistently use a non-default color and font. Isn't it a big hassle to change it for every post?

I'd like to be able to use many of the options available on a laptop or desktop. Although my iPad is a step above the mobile version, but no access to full keyboard functions. I do breakdown and use laptop or desktop when special features become a necessity.

I'd like to be able to use many of the options available on a laptop or desktop. Although my iPad is a step above the mobile version, but no access to full keyboard functions. I do breakdown and use laptop or desktop when special features become a necessity.

You can use a thing called bbcode for the same effects as the formatting buttons, or a bbcode editor that works on mobile.

I try to refrain from posting an emote in every other sentence but it's incredibly hard xD otherwise I'm pretty plaintext lol

also totes didn't vote. no emote option or at least "other" :p

You can use a thing called bbcode for the same effects as the formatting buttons, or a bbcode editor that works on mobile.

Thanks Robin L, I will definitely look into that. I asked many times if these options were available for iPad. I was pretty much told no. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks Robin L, I will definitely look into that. I asked many times if these options were available for iPad. I was pretty much told no. I'll check it out tomorrow.

It's true that the option is not built into AVEN, but it's available from an external editor.

Mostly just plain text, but if it's like a survey thing/long post I'll go with one font size smaller. I use italics sometimes to emphasize a word but that's it.

Most of the time I just use plain text, although I'll sometimes add in things like bolding or italics if there's a post that I think could benefit from it. I also use emoticons and hyperlinks a lot. Everything else on the toolbar is used very, very rarely.

Plain text because I'm not IT savvy

I wonder how some people can consistently use a non-default color and font. Isn't it a big hassle to change it for every post?

Yes, yes it is. Especially in posts that use multiple quotes. It's a nightmare at times.

Some people *shifty eyes* just think it's worth that hassle to bring in that individual touch/recognizable style... ;)

I'll use only plain text in shorter responses, but if I'm posting something lengthy -- or wish to emphasize a particular point -- I may add in italics or bold. Bold, to my mind, is best used for things such as headings, so it's unlikely to come up in a forum post unless I am making a list. I will also employ italics when referring to the titles of things such as books.

I don't like the default font on most forums (because they're almost always sans-serif -- and that makes things annoying to read after a while), but I don't dislike it enough to change it every post. Additionally, changing it in my own posts does nothing for other people's, so to me there's little point.

I tend to use formatting if I figure it'd help in the reading of what's written. (I chose # 2 though it doesn't quite reflect that.) I hate that formatting is not an option on the mobile device I occasionally use. I think that's super lame.

*edit: I am annoyed by purposeless formatting. Sometimes it's like putting on way too much cologne and offending the senses of everyone around you. Other times it's like spraying perfume over the smell of shit--it just smells like perfume and shit.

I usually stick to the general settings, although I will bold and italicize as is needed/necessary. I actually think that the most formatting I've done on the site is in my signature.

I try to refrain from posting an emote in every other sentence but it's incredibly hard xD otherwise I'm pretty plaintext lol

also totes didn't vote. no emote option or at least "other" :P

Oh, I'm sorry :blush: . Emotes :huh: count :blink: towards :ph34r: the :unsure: second :angry: option....as :wub: long :o as :excl: your :cake: post :aven: doesn't ;) consist :( entirely :vis: out :twisted: of :wacko: it :mellow: .

Another mostly plain, but I do use bold (mostly for emphasis), italics (mostly for things like book and movie titles), some emoticons and cake, but I don't change the font and rarely if ever the color or size. Lots of variations and/or some fonts, colors, etc., can be annoying to read (especially when I have a migraine, like I do now). So I will often skip over those (same for posts lacking in capitalization or punctuation, or "walls of text" without paragraphing, or other "irritants" - basically, I reserve the right to ignore posts.). :P

If I overdo anything myself it's probably parenthesis. :huh:

p.s. for anyone who has problems with accessing any of the format buttons, if you know the "tags" you can type them in even in plain text mode. You might not see the effect until you post though. So, for a few examples:

Bold = [b] words [/b]
Italic = [i] words [/i]
cake icon = 
ObsessedWithCats

I use a lot of emotes and infrequent other stuff. Significant changes from the default are a pain to read.

I use BBCode rather than the buttons, and often fail to notice myself doing so, which has occasionally resulted in me nearly posting text with BBCode in in places where BBCode isn't processed.

As Daveb does, I tend to skip over posts that are in colors hard to read (light blue, greyed out black, etc. -- with the exception being Mysticus's posts which are sometimes annoying but always educational :lol:).

I also find it really hard to read posts with no paragraphs or punctuation, and those that use text-speak -- if you're going to type long words, there's no point in using "u" for you or "r" for are -- just type the damn word. (I realize many people use their phones now, but still...)

I try to remember to use emoticons to smooth out my rather terse posts, but most often forget.

My posts are mostly pretty plain but I do sometimes bold things. I rarely use italics. I also have a tendency to overuse emotes :D I can't help it. It's just something I like to do :P

I AM A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE!!!

I wonder how some people can consistently use a non-default color and font. Isn't it a big hassle to change it for every post?

Yes, yes it is. Especially in posts that use multiple quotes. It's a nightmare at times.

Some people *shifty eyes* just think it's worth that hassle to bring in that individual touch/recognizable style... ;)
This.

The other format is so FREAKING boring, and I like to bring more individuality to my posts.

That said,
I actually prefer to type in papyrus and did for a while on another message board, but 1) I had to always bold it so that it was readable, and 2) people either loved it or HATED it and those who hated it took time out of their days to insult me for it.

I switched to Georgia and now I don't get comments one way or the other. It is different enough to be noticeable without annoying people and I like the serifs...But I would PREFER a more handwritten looking font that people can read. However, most of them are microscopic and/or illegible.

Red is my favorite color but it doesn't look good as a font color (imho) and is usually just for administrators (ie like here at AVEN). So I post in Teal as it is dark enough to be seen clearly but nice and colorful...and green is my 2nd favorite color.

EDIT: It is also a huge headache when AVEN or other forums don't do the formatting right and you have to redo it all or worse have to bring up the HTML code to fix it.

May i ask how you can use bbcode? I have tried the link but i dont know how to add it to my forum posts on here. I guess im not that smart with computers, help please?

There are 2 ways.

1. if you're writing/editing a post from the forum and have access to the buttons at the top of the post editor you can click on the third button from the left, top row, to insert BBCode. That will give you a list of options to choose from. Then follow what it shows you.

2. type the codes right into the text when you're typing a post. You just have to know what the codes are and how the text should be structured/formatted. Similar to examples for bolding and such that I gave above.

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

AshenPhoenix, Census Forum Moderator

Archived