Which is Worse (Crime and Punishment)

shockkkk

Which outcome Worse?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which outcome is Worse?

• Wrongfully convicting an innocent person
    • Failing to convict a guilty person

This poll is closed to new votes

Consider a criminal act which carries a severe penalty. Other than that this is a pretty straightforward poll.

Convicting an innocent person. A life ruined.

Letting the guilty go free, often they will commit further crimes giving prosecutors a second chance. Usually if a guilty person goes free it's because of problems with the evidence.

This is tough, but I eventually went with wrongfully convicting an innocent person. If you wrongfully convict an innocent person for a major crime it could unjustifiably ruin their life for no reason.

That's a very difficult question, but I'm also going with convicting an innocent person. You're ruining their life and that of their loved ones without reason.

Wrongfully convicting an innocent person is clearly worse, not the slightest doubt about that.

Kind of happy with the results tbh. I think it is clearly worse to incorrectly convict an innocent person, and I think it is a basic fact which our legal system is built on - hence the requirement of 'beyond reasonable doubt' for convictions in criminal cases. However, I read this survey where almost 40% of people felt the opposite which kind of horrified me.

Convicting the innocent person. There are some cases where I could see it swinging the other way -- but really, those would all probably be better defined as failing to apprehend or stop a guilty person. Letting an active serial killer continue to walk free may be worse than convicting an innocent person, as that person may then take more lives; on the other hand, convicting an innocent person in their place will still result in the serial killer going free, and will only make things worse -- especially if it's believed that the correct person was caught, whereas it was actually an innocent person.

I'll admit, I'm kind of surprised that the survey is so strongly leaning towards one side, even if it's the side I chose for myself. I think both options are kind of awful, so I had a hard time picking an answer, but it seems like overall, there is little question in which is worse. I expected it to be at least a little bit closer than it currently is.

Wrongly convicting the innocent.

You can't undo that damage.

Kind of happy with the results tbh. I think it is clearly worse to incorrectly convict an innocent person, and I think it is a basic fact which our legal system is built on - hence the requirement of 'beyond reasonable doubt' for convictions in criminal cases. However, I read this survey where almost 40% of people felt the opposite which kind of horrified me.

I'll admit, I'm kind of surprised that the survey is so strongly leaning towards one side, even if it's the side I chose for myself. I think both options are kind of awful, so I had a hard time picking an answer, but it seems like overall, there is little question in which is worse. I expected it to be at least a little bit closer than it currently is.

Really? I'll admit that I was shocked to see the second option reach that many votes. I think 8.7% (current number as I post this) is frighteningly many people to be okay with accepting harsh punishments for innocent people just to not let any criminal get off scot free. I expected something closer to 100 : 0.

I firmly believe that convicting an innocent person is worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of depends on the exact specifics. An innocent person's life being ruined because they were wrongly convicted of a crime isn't any worse to me than an innocent person's life being ruined because they were the victim of a criminal who went free. Whether the innocent person was convicted in place of that criminal, or whether the criminal commits another crime/ruins someone's life and all that is pure speculation, but has a huge impact on the degree of damage to whoever, so I'm unable to answer the question.

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

AshenPhoenix, Census Forum Moderator

Archived