Should Dihydrogen Monoxide be a banned substance?

Steph Ace

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dihydrogen Monoxide be a banned substance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Should the Centre for Disease Control list DHMO as a carcinogenic substance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

This poll is closed to new votes

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene), DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful.

Research conducted by award-winning U.S. scientist Nathan Zohner concluded that roughly 86 percent of the population supports a ban on dihydrogen monoxide. Although his results are preliminary, Zohner believes people need to pay closer attention to the information presented to them regarding Dihydrogen Monoxide. He adds that if more people knew the truth about DHMO then studies like the one he conducted would not be necessary.

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:
  • Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
  • Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contributes to soil erosion.
  • Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
  • Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
  • Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
  • Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect

That joke is getting old :p

You forgot to mention that you can OD from it, and that it got extreme abstinences.

And 100% of hard-drug users drink it at least once a day. It is a gateway drug..

... I don't get it. Can someone fill me in?

EDIT: FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Here's the website to which is being referred: http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

And I might add that DHMO is essentual to manufactoring processes and is an ingredient in almost everything. Banning it would cause us to have to find or create another substance to be just as effective. In essence, it'l be quite expensive to wean ourelves off of it in industry. Most companies just aren't going to go for it.

You also forgot that DHMO is highly addictive! :D

Nea Rose Symphony

Dihydrogen monoxide is a component of life though. Without it we wouldn't even be here. Without it our oceans would be lifeless. I say it shouldn't be banned

Thank you so much for the laugh!

Totally should be banned

Every single tour de France winners urine samples have contained dhmo.

It is the substance of choice for lots of athletes and while Jacques anquetil you can't win the tour de France on it alone, you can't win it without it either

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE! IT WILL TAKE HOLD OF YOU, AND YOU WILL RESENT ITS ABSENCE!

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE! IT WILL TAKE HOLD OF YOU, AND YOU WILL RESENT ITS ABSENCE!

I can stop whenever I want (said while having a bottle in my hand)

OH!!! I get it now! *can be rather slow on these things* Lol! :P I'm far too addicted for it to be banned...I always have some with me.

I can stop whenever I want (said while having a bottle in my hand)

Living in an arid landscape, it's rather an essential part of the equipment even when just making a run to the grocery store. I drink quite a lot of it and have never had any bad after affects that I know of anyway ...

Living in an arid landscape, it's rather an essential part of the equipment even when just making a run to the grocery store. I drink quite a lot of it and have never had any bad after affects that I know of anyway ...

Just make sure to have some natriumchlorid in there. ;)

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

LOL you almost got me there. As a chem student/ nerd, whenever I see a chemical name I try and figure out the formula, so I was just sitting here going "Dihydrogen monoxide... that's H2O... but that's water... maybe I'm wrong... dihydrogen monoxide..."

If we're going to ban it, we would also need to research if there is a way people can completely overcome a dependence on it, and live. So far, studies have consistently shown that withdrawal can be fatal after a few days. :(

Perfectly Pointless

Haha, I totally fell for that at first.

Well, I'm always drinking it! I'm so addicted, I always have some with me in case the cravings come back suddenly.

What can I say? I'm pretty hardcore. ;)

Blue Phoenix Ace

I think it teaches an important lesson though. A lot of things you hear about in the news try to scare you in similar ways, but when you step back and think about it, most of what they are telling you is bogus.

And, DHMO is the root cause of dangerous avalanches.

I always think it's a terrifying figure that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of Americans have a physical dependency on DHMO, and also very sad.

Like, really? These people couldn't have stayed away from this vicious drug? Tsk, tsk.

Totally not a hypocrite or anything, I just do it recreationally... I swear.

That bottle of dihydrogen monoxide isn't mine officer, I swear!

WaywardHeroine

Just had one of those "Ohhhhhhh" moments ^_^'

Of course it should be banned.

Unless if it contains C2H6O. It's more fun.

It's actually healthier with that :p Like for realz. We first started to drink alcohol since it was a healthier alternative than water you find in nature.

Does the argument for banning hold +%*^

*snigger*

Cold mold on a slate plate

verily-forsooth-egads

Upwards of 93% of people who have come into contact with DHMO are dead. It is a dangerous, dangerous chemical. It's shameful how few people even know what DHMO is.

Upwards of 93% of people who have come into contact with DHMO are dead. It is a dangerous, dangerous chemical. It's shameful how few people even know what DHMO is.

Wait... does that mean almost 7% are still alive today? All joking aside... that is freaking scary.

(And a quick googling actually says, yes, ~6.5% is a serious current estimate. One in fifteen. :blink: :o )

Archived