Meeting others and dating

BobRossRules

I think we have reached an understanding here. Many here have determined that you are happier being by yourselves than you would be with a partner. I think that's great. I know you all cherish friendships and take those relationships very seriously.

If you read many of my posts you know I have a blast on my own. I also think you all have hit on something. Remember I'm definitely on the low self-esteem side of the self-esteem scale, so I hope this doesn't come across as conceited, but I absolutely have a lot to offer a partner. Hey my 20 yr marriage sucked. It eventually brought me all the way to the depths of despair. I hooked on to my wife's depression and then made it my very own. I can't blame her depression for all my failings. It was a methodical taking over of my life. I went into the marriage with a ton to offer, and dammit I have been to hell and back, but as family has noted, Mark Is Back!! So here I am at 55 yrs old and I believe as you all do that I have so much to offer some lucky lady, and I want to share that badly. I'm willing to take the gamble of relinquishing some of my precious alone time in hopes of finding blissful happiness sharing my time with someone special. Yes that sounds like I'm being naive, unrealistic, in search of a fairytale, and perhaps that is the case, but I truly believe it is all obtainable. So I have put myself out there and will continue to search. She may be out there, and then again maybe not, but I'm giving it all I've got.

Qutenkuddly

That's the spirit, tase!

I wouldn't say I am necessarily happier alone than with a partner. I am plenty happy on my own, that is true. And I'm wary of how a partnership might affect things. I do think having the right partner could be great, and sharing happiness can make any existing happiness even better. In any case, I long ago gave up putting any real effort into finding a partner. If it happens and it's good, then all the better. If it doesn't, I am enjoying life as it is. It's all good. :)

I do like to see people finding good partners and I have a soft spot for romance (thinking of things like the couple in the movie Up!, for example) - but I think that's a rare treasure.

Best of luck to you, Tase! May you find your rare treasure. :)

Currently one of our young members is in the beginning stages of a great relationship. I can't seem control my happiness for her. She is so happy, and it's just really nice to see. I'm not even sure if it's an ace relationship or not.

BobRossRules

Currently one of our young members is in the beginning stages of a great relationship. I can't seem control my happiness for her. She is so happy, and it's just really nice to see. I'm not even sure if it's an ace relationship or not.

Yippie!!

• 3 months later...

I am pretty much in the same boat. When I was younger, I liked being alone more. Now, not so much. I'd love to find someone but it is difficult being asexual. Hopefully, with communities like AVEN, it get a little easier.

BobRossRules

The difficulty level definitely increases with the asexuality component. Even if there was a local "older" ace, they may not necessarily be compatible (e.g., age, interests, etc). Sexual people, even older folks, have such a greater pool to choose from and are more likely to find a comparable match. I'm still hopeful though! :)

Archived