Can you tell time in Military time?

Lia

7 members have voted

1. 1. Can you tell time in Military time (24h)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you use Military time most of the time (as opposed to AM/PM)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which do you prefer?

• 24h (Military time)
    • 12h (AM/PM)

This poll is closed to new votes

So in the US, using Military time (24h time ... so 1500 for 3pm etc) isn't common place. I wanna know who can use it, and who uses it regularly and if you prefer it :)

I can technically tell time in military time, it just takes a few extra seconds because I have to subtract 12 from the hour in my head any time after noon. It's not really common to use 24 hour time where I'm from (eastern US), so I never really got used to it and still prefer 12 hour times with AM/PM

I have my phone set to military time. Honestly, how did anyone come up with the stupid idea to go through a set of numbers half the size of the total two times rather than go through a set of numbers the size of the total one time?

Yes, because that's what we use over here. :)

Honestly, how did anyone come up with the stupid idea to go through a set of numbers half the size of the total two times rather than go through a set of numbers the size of the total one time?

Analog clocks?

I prefer to use military time for everything, but I've noticed I sometimes tend to covert to AM/PM for people just in case they're not too familiar with it.

I use military time much more often than am/pm. Most things work on the 24hr clock these days - my phone, computer, car, oven, all use it. The only time I use am/pm is with analog clocks. I like military better because it's less confusing. Imagine, for example, you're arranging a meeting for 9. Is that AM or PM? It's at 2100 hours. It's clear, succinct, and makes you sound like a badass. What's not to love?

There are analog clocks with 24h time on them! I want one :)

I'm one of 3 at work who use Military time - the other 2 are retired Military xD But I was in the trucking industry for 5 years and that industry runs on Military time Now...my phone, my tablet, my computer are all Military time. I do find myself converting to the 12h time because almost everyone cocks their head at me like I'm crazy when I say I'll be home around 1730.

I swapped my phone clock to military time sometime in high school because I wanted to be able to read time if I ever left the states. It made learning time in German in college very easy. But I still use the 12 hour clock for every day stuff.

I prefer using 24-hour time with myself and my devices but convert it to the 12-hour AM and PM cycle when talking to others.

This sometimes leads to me accidentally saying, for instance, 7:42 when I mean 5:42 (17:42). I'm thinking of the right time, with the hour hand leaning right of downwards, but I mess up and call it the wrong thing.

I think the 12-hour system makes sense with analog clocks, but not otherwise.

My phone randomly switched to military time a few months ago and I can't be bothered to change it back so I've inadvertently gotten really good at knowing military time.

Still prefer AM/PM though.

I don't use military time nor do I want to, but I can. Right now, it is 2206.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I was taught in the French education system, where we use military time literally all the time.

Still prefer 12H time though.

i can, but i don't like to. it doesn't come naturally to me.

I can understand it, but I don't regularly use it, no.

"See you at oh-eight-hundred hours" just doesn't roll off the tongue quite like "See you at eight"

SorryNotSorry

There are analog clocks with 24h time on them! I want one :)

Then your best bet is an amateur radio supply. We radio hams and shortwave listeners use Universal Coordinated Time whenever we log activity across multiple time zones, for instance if I'm on the air with a ham in Japan or I'm listening to a shortwave broadcast from Australia.

One reason for this is if you want to write to an overseas broadcaster to tell them you liked their program, they won't feel obliged to send you QSL cards or other souvenirs if you reference an incorrect time slot, or no time slot at all.

Notte stellata

I'm from a country where the 24h format is very common, so it's like second nature for me. But in everyday speech we still say "3 pm" instead of "15 o'clock" (and definitely not "fifteen hundred hours"). So I have a slight preference for the 12h format.

All digital clocks in Sweden (Or at least all that I know of) tell time in 24h.

it's normal here to use the 24h clock, so I use the 24h clock more then the 12h clock, I use both though, sometimes even in the same sentence. or I try using one then switch

when mean to say 5pm, I might say 7, I once changed the time three times in a sentence from 5pm to 7oclock to either 19 or 15 oclock and meant 17oclock the whole time, confused the person I was talking to :P

I use the two time sets interchangeably. All my electronics are in military time because it just makes more sense that way (for time stamps, etc), but I always wear a watch and much prefer analogue watches to digital ones, so that's when I use 12 hour time. Either way, if someone asks me, I subtracct a few minutes (all my clocks are 3-5 minutes fast), then tell them the time in 12-hr.

Europe uses 24h more and more. In Britain it's a smudgy amalgamation of the two. As a cab driver if someone wants a car at six, I always have to double check do they mean a.m. or p.m., whilst other customers use the 24hr clock.

Personally I have every electronic device set to 24hr working

Anthracite_Impreza

I use 24hr most of the time, only use 12hr in casual terms. 24hr just makes more sense to me.

24 hour clock for me, allows me to know what time it is far quicker.

We use it as a standard here. So it isn't military time - it is just time. However military time is Zulu time, which I doubt most here know :p

Here we use the 24h system all the time. Sometimes people talk with the AM/PM system but it's too informal to be written, and too confusing for me because I'm nocturnal, and I don't want to have to always add "AM" or "PM" to what I'm saying*. I never say 3 PM ; when I say I walked my dog at 3, it's always 3 AM in the 24h system, no confusion.

* Yes, I'm lazy.

Archived